Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I've had my bike for over a month now and was wondering how am I suppose to properly clean and lube my chain. My mechanic Lubed my chain at the 500mile service and I'm at about 750miles now and was starting to wonder whats the best way to lube and clean the chain.

My mechanic said i dont need to clean the chain just yet, cause its a new bike and I should use chain wax for my chain. I believe he said it was an "o" ring chain. B4 I clean my chain am I suppose to just wipe it down with a cloth and spray it on the Chain wax on a warm chain? Also whats the best chain lube spray.

Also, when i finally get to cleaning it should I use WD40? If i spray on to much wd40 on or some other cleaning product can I hose the chain down with water or will that ruin the chain? Kinda of confused so any help would be appreciated. Also, how often should i clean the chain?

·
Registered
405 Posts
The Only thing I use WD-40 for is starting fluid. Do Not breathe the vapors, if you can smell it, you are breathing it, Do Not get it on your skin !

Do Not use it on your chain.

To clean your chain, use diesel fuel or Kerosene, whichever is cheaper, they will not hurt the O-Rings. You should be able to find a Nylon parts cleaning or Detail brush shaped like an oversized toothbrush.

Let the chain air dry and spray with an appropriate chain lube/wax and allow to set overnight.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

Attachments

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
The Only thing I use WD-40 for is starting fluid. Do Not breathe the vapors, if you can smell it, you are breathing it, Do Not get it on your skin !

Do Not use it on your chain.

To clean your chain, use diesel fuel or Kerosene, whichever is cheaper, they will not hurt the O-Rings. You should be able to find a Nylon parts cleaning or Detail brush shaped like an oversized toothbrush.

Let the chain air dry and spray with an appropriate chain lube/wax and allow to set overnight.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob
There you go. Yeah I only use WD-40 to dampen a rag to clean off my wheels of lube overspray when I've got little time to sit down and use kerosene.

I bought a gallon of kerosene a year ago and I still have over half of it left. I put a little bit in a plastic cup with a tooth brush and clean the chain that way. Scrub it down really well, then wipe off the excess dripping kerosene with a rag. Let it air dry, then sparay the lube on, and spray it on all sides of the entire chain. Take a clean rag and wipe off the excess. Done!

You can get a three-sided brush that'll make the job a bit quicker (Cycle Gear), but I managed to misplace mine, so I've been using an old tooth brush. It's not like I'm in some sort of rush to get the job done anyways. Also, I clean the chain every 500 miles or so, but relube every 200. You'll get different responses from different folk on when to do this, but just make sure you keep those O-rings wet. Just make sure you wipe off excess lube to minimize fling-off onto your undertail and wheel. I have yet to find a lube that won't fling off once it gets hot, but it's not a huge deal. Only takes a minute to wipe the shit off with a cloth dampened with kerosene or WD-40. I use two cat litter boxes up under the rear wheel and swingarm to catch any drips when scrubbing the chain down. They come in pretty handy, and they're really cheap.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys thxs, that really clears up the confusion I had.

Anyway I also heard Maxima chain wax is really good 2.. any thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is it okay to substitute gear oil for chain oil? I went to Autozone today, and the closest they have is chainsaw oil, but someone told me that's too light and won't last long. I have some gear oil laying around (75W-90), but I'm not sure if I should use that or take the trip to the dealer to get the right stuff. It's my first bike and I've only had it for about 2-3 weeks now, so I haven't put anything on it yet..

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't know why they still put in the FSM's to use gear oil on chains. All it does is fling off and collect dirt/grime.

I use Dupont Chains saver or Dupont Teflon Multi-use for lubing. For cleaning I either use kerosene or Dupont Motorcycle degreaser.

DuPont Teflon Chain Saver - DuPont Teflon Chain Lube - webBikeWorld

One thing I've learned from chain lubes is to take "Doesn't attract dirt" with a BIG grain of salt. All lubes will eventually have crap on it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you want a mess and a chain that has little protection, use the gear lube. What would be better is Bar and Chain oil for chain saws as it has a tackifier in it or, you can use the proper product, not have sling and a well protected chain so you don't wear it out faster than necessary.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I don't know why they still put in the FSM's to use gear oil on chains. All it does is fling off and collect dirt/grime.

I use Dupont Chains saver or Dupont Teflon Multi-use for lubing. For cleaning I either use kerosene or Dupont Motorcycle degreaser.

DuPont Teflon Chain Saver - DuPont Teflon Chain Lube - webBikeWorld

One thing I've learned from chain lubes is to take "Doesn't attract dirt" with a BIG grain of salt. All lubes will eventually have crap on it.
Dupont is pretty good

1 - 9 of 9 Posts