Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm wanting to use my Dremel to chop off my fender. However, I ran into a difficulty.. I have a cordless 4.8V Dremel model 754. Also, I bought a pack of cutting wheels separately (the wheels with the tiny holes in the center). However, when I try to assemble the cutting wheel with the screw mandrel, the screw of the mandrel is just too big and will not penetrate the cutting wheel center. What am I doing wrong? I can't help but feel like a straight up fool not being able to get this right.

I even provided a picture. Thanks for the helps guys haha..

(From L to R: 1) the screw that just won't fit through the cutting wheel 2) the cutting wheel 3) mandrel with screw-in top

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there's different sized mandrels for different types of Dremels
You bought the wrong sized cutting wheel , that's all.
Okay thanks. So how do I know which cutting wheel is the proper size? That was what I was suspecting, but I did notice any specific measurements or anything of that sort on the cutting wheel package.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I started with a dremel on my cut, but found out that it does not go through as fast as I would have hoped. So I took my saw and chopped it off in about 10 seconds. Took my knife out of my pocket and cut off all the loose plastic left over and Ta-Da, I have what looks like a factory made fender.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi. What you have is a regular cut-off wheel and what looks like a mandrel for some other dremel accessory.

IF you have a drill bit that is the same size or slightly (SLIGHTLY!) larger that the screw, you can actually bore a hole in the disk so it will fit.

After you bore the hole out so it will just fit the screw shaft, you will need to find TWO washers that will fit on the screw, but will NOT slide down the shaft (the mandrel). Sandwich the disk between the washers, screw them together and go.

Do NOT use a dremel without safety glasses. Things are turning at tens of thousands of RPM's. I've seen wheels like the one you have shatter into a hundred pieces. Google "High speed dremel CD experiment", and click the first link.

Also, do NOT use the modified cutoff wheel in a standard high RPM dremel. The dremel you have is relatively slow, 10,000 RPM max, and low voltage, so you'll have to take it very slow and easy until you get the hang of the proper speed for the fender material.

You can buy a cut-off kit on ebay, which include cut-off wheels AND the correct mandrel for less than $10.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The kit off of ebay I bought actually shows you how to get rid of the rough edges to make the fender look like factory made fender too. I wonder if you used the same kit for your fender eliminator kit - the generic one I mean!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.