Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm goin g crazy waiting for all the damn snow to stop so I can actually go riding again and I figured now would be a good time to Install some frame sliders I had purchased last year. I get the upper engine mount bolt off fine on the right side, but then I get this huge gap between the frame and the engine that won't allow my bolt to reach the lock nut on the other side. I was reading in the service manual and it says all this crap with regard to the locknut and adjusting collar. I was under the impression I just remove the old bolt and replace it with the new. Now I'm unsure of how to close the gap between the engine and the fram so I can put the bolt back in. Do I really have to order the "Engine mount nut wrench" mentioned in the service manual? I who carries it on line? Grrrr.....every time I try and do something I end up ordering some $5 part that takes 2-3 weeks to get up here. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
578 Posts
First what is the make of the frame sliders this would help. I just installed the LSL frame sliders which can be different with the install. Take a snap shot and post it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Here's a couple pics, the sliders are fine it's the damn gap that is making it unable for the bolt to reach the lock nut on the back side. Don't ask me why there's a gap all I did was unscrew the upper engine mount bolt.

·
Registered
193 Posts
i have some pro-tek sliders that the instructions say to put on the fairing nut just above that motor mount. I'm a little weary of that. I want to fit it down on the engine nut. How did you get that weird locknut off?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Somehow I am missing the problem... Take the large slider from your pic, and put the bolt through the slider and into the hole in the engine, then into the nut behind the engine mount. It looks plenty long enough.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's just it, the bolt isn't long enough because of that gap (sorry it doesn't really show good on the pic). Anyway, the bolt isn't long enough to thread the lock nut on the other side. If the frame and engine gap were gone and they were flush it would be a perfect fit.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Sorry I keep confusing everyone. There is NOTHING wrong with the frame slider bolt. It is as long as it should be. The problem is that after taking out the old bolt I got a gap that (was being held closed by the old bolt I assume)appeared between the frame and the engine (the red arrow in the above post). This gap is what makes it impossible to thread the slider bolt onto the nut on the back side. I need to know how to close the gap. Here a schematic view I found with "H" being the gap. The service manual says the gap need to be 0mm, but I'm just trying to make sense of how to accomplish that. Thanks everyone hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The origional came out fairly easy. I can fit it back in, but the gap won't close down when I hand tighten it. The slider bolt is slightly longer than the origional bolt, but is just shy of fitting all the way through since the slider takes up some of the length. The gap is only a few mm and if I could close it the slider would go on no problem. I was reading how to intall an engine in the service manual and it says to close the gap you need to adjust the adjusting collar and the locknut (the threaded piece seen in the photo and the 4 pronged disc under it). Problem is I need a damn "engine mount wrench part # 57001-1450" which I can't seem to find anywhere. I just didn't know why this happened in the first place since I bought it new and haven't done anything to it to case it to happen. Worst part is being in po dunk juneau alaska I always get stuck having to order in some 50 cent part or something and waiting 3 weeks to ride.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh and I have only attempted the right side so far, didn't want to mess up the left side too.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Dude, there is no gap. I thought the same thing when I put my right side slider on. I was freaking out beacuse I was cranking the crap out of the bolt and it wouldn't close. Try this, shine a flashlight into the hole. You will see that no light leaks out of the "gap". That's because it just looks like there's a gap. As far as the bolt not being long enough, are you holding the nut in place on the back side? If it's not in the right spot then it won't let you thread the bolt right. Hope this helps.

Edit: I can't spell.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe I'm just retarded. I guess the problem might be that the bolt is not long enough? I can feel it just barely at the back side but not enough to engage the lock nut no matter what I try. Has anyone else tried these sliders? Maybe they sent me too short of a bolt?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
those frame sliders are great, they work perfecley. just take off the bolt and put the new bolt in with the slider and original nut on the back of the engine mount.

the left side is easy also if you have some one pull the fairing back so you can pull out the bolt and put in the spacer for the left frame slider. "left being the let side of the bike when you are sitting on it."

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can you post a couple of close up pics? Really I keep trying what everyone is telling me and it won't go through far enough to engage the nut on the other side.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.