Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried everything I can think of so far. I washed the bike the other day and i started it up and rode it about 200 yards and it bogged and died and then would not start. at first i thought i was out of gas. so i filled it up with 93 (didn't think of it at the time but maybe water got in the tank? but filling it would of diluted it..?) so eventually i got it home. i check all the fuses, and all the connections. those are all good. i drained and emptied the tank and then filled it up with fresh gas. i check the air filter and that all looks good. it wont bump start and I've been trying to figure out how to do a self diagnosis but cant figure it out. the battery is good. the feul pump primes and it makes all the right noises and everything. I'm thinking either the fuel pump is dead, or all 4 plugs are fouled which i know is very highly unlikely. does anyone have any input on some other ideas or comments?

ps i have searched alot for answers

·
Registered
71 Posts
First off.....unless you washed your bike with the fuel cap open....water is not going to get inside. I am guessing you sprayed it down with a hose? You said you checked the air box for water. That would be my only guess....is you sprayed water through the ram air and got into the throttle bodies. but that is kind of hard unless you were spraying the water directly into for more then a couple seconds. So it turns on and the fuel pump primes?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
yeah, ditto on the above. Spraying water down the ram-air tube is bad, mmmmmmkay?
spraying water down the exhaust is bad, mmmmmmkay?

The gas cap was shut when you were washing it, wasn't it? Fuel doesn't dilute water. They separate. Water sinks, and will be the first thru the pump to the motor. If this is the case, then it's draining all the fuel system, cleaning it out, new fuel filter, and stick it all back together.

If that's not the case, then take the tank off, and the airbox and see if there's any wet residue around the throttle bodies. You can pull the plugs out too, and check to see their condition (get a wire brush and give them a tickle since they're out), and put back together.

Did the FI light flash as it died?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so today i replaced the plugs, i have checked the airbox and i know how to wash my bike and i never spray directly into any hole.. checked the tip over.. i have checked all my fuses and i have drained the entire fuel system inculding tank, lines, pump ect.. the pump primes and spits out fuel. the new plugs spark. i dont know if i'm missing anything else but im pretty mechanical and i cant figure out what it is.. its been pissing me off to no extents.. when i go to start it. it makes all the usual noise and when i hit the started it just tries to crank and it just wont catch and fire...

·
Powerhungry
38,374 Posts
so today i replaced the plugs, i have checked the airbox and i know how to wash my bike and i never spray directly into any hole.. checked the tip over.. i have checked all my fuses and i have drained the entire fuel system inculding tank, lines, pump ect.. the pump primes and spits out fuel. the new plugs spark. i dont know if i'm missing anything else but im pretty mechanical and i cant figure out what it is.. its been pissing me off to no extents.. when i go to start it. it makes all the usual noise and when i hit the started it just tries to crank and it just wont catch and fire...
does it crank over quickly? like normal? or slower?
or??

how did u test the plugs for spark?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes it turns over normal.. to check the plugs i pull the wires out.. stuck a new spark plug in the wire holder and then touched the end to a screwdriver and watched it spark

·
Powerhungry
38,374 Posts
flooded it maybe?

did u crank it while the plugs were out?
how did they look? were they wet?

if theres spark, it should be starting.
unless the injector signal is missing.

water may have gotten in a connector, and causing a problem. it might even clear up on its ow..once it dries completely

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this all happened a week ago.. its had its time to dry.. did not crank it when the plugs were out.. the old plugs were a little coroded amybe even carbon but im not sure.. might be an injector issue.. to me it seems electrical somewhere ... but i dont know.. im reading the manual form cover to cover right now to figure this out..

·
Registered
26 Posts
if your sure it has spark, and fuel then their is an air/compression problem. any internal combustion engine onyl needs fuel, spark, air/compression to run. if it is getting all of these then it will run somewhat now how good it runs depends on the electronics and the ration of air/fuel. so since your battery is good and your getting fuel and spark, check and make sure its getting air.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can always spray a little starting fluid into the throttle bodies. If it starts then and you are getting fuel to the throttle bodies then there is an issue with the injectors or the electric pulse going to them. You can always check them by running voltage across the injector and see if it kicks on. If they kick on it may be a ecu problem, not sure how that would have happened by washing it though. Just a few things to try, hope one of them helps.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
sounds like you checked all the usual areas. sounds like the kill switch is off. hell, i wash mine down, sits in the rain sometimes, no problems.

plugs sparking? u can take the tank off, leave the wire connected, unhook the fuel line, turn the switch on and it'll pump out fuel if the pump is working

idk man, it's an unusual problem for sure.

fire and gas, should crank. that sux

·
Registered
26 Posts
its possible its the injectors, but if they whole rail was failing it would be an electrical problem and should have a flashing FI light. did you try unplugging the battery for a few minutes to reset the ecu? because if its getting all the essentials for sure and the FI light is not on or fashing then your ecu could be keeping it from starting for some reason....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
its possible its the injectors, but if they whole rail was failing it would be an electrical problem and should have a flashing FI light. did you try unplugging the battery for a few minutes to reset the ecu? because if its getting all the essentials for sure and the FI light is not on or fashing then your ecu could be keeping it from starting for some reason....
I did pull out the battery to charge it for a night.. so i know thats all set..

the FI light doesnt flash irregualrly..

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no it does not stay on.. i know that to do a self diagnosis you ground out the wire under the seat and.. i did that and no flashes to indicate a problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The first way is to check the fault code....which your FI light is not on so you will not get any codes. The second way I dont remember off hand will show you any previous codes that you have had. Its worth a shot but probably wont have any.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts