Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how the heal do you get the oil filter off on one of these bikes. this is my first oil change on a new bike and so far i have tried the screw driver to no avail and managed to put a pin hole in my coolant hose. can anyone show the process with pictures please or a really good write up

·
Registered
27 Posts
You might have trouble even if you have a socket wrench, it will slip around the filter over and over again. You have to tap the wrench onto the filter pretty tight. I sometimes tought that Kawasaki purposely used a slightly smaller diameter filter to force us to go to a dealership...

What work for me when taking off a stock Kawasaki filter is to put a screwdriver into the filter and turn it. You have to hammer the screwdriver into the filter. The entry point should be right where the sidewall of the filter and the endwall of the filter meets, and stick the scerwdriver in 45 degrees. Then turn COUNTER-clockwise.

Replace the filter with a purolator pure one with the sandpaper-like grip. OR you could use the K and N filter, #303. The K and N has a nut at the end of the filter, so it will be really easy to take off later. The purolator is good because a filter wrench will grip it positively.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
You might have trouble even if you have a socket wrench, it will slip around the filter over and over again. You have to tap the wrench onto the filter pretty tight. I sometimes tought that Kawasaki purposely used a slightly smaller diameter filter to force us to go to a dealership...

What work for me when taking off a stock Kawasaki filter is to put a screwdriver into the filter and turn it. You have to hammer the screwdriver into the filter. The entry point should be right where the sidewall of the filter and the endwall of the filter meets, and stick the scerwdriver in 45 degrees. Then turn COUNTER-clockwise.

Replace the filter with a purolator pure one with the sandpaper-like grip. OR you could use the K and N filter, #303. The K and N has a nut at the end of the filter, so it will be really easy to take off later. The purolator is good because a filter wrench will grip it positively.

Good luck.

+1

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I'd suggest using a heat gun. Hell, steal your girl's hair dryer and use that if you have to. Hold it right onto the filter and make sure that the straps on your wrench are all the way at the base of the filter where it screws in. If you don't get in there deep enough (this sounds dirty but eff it), then the filter will start collapsing under the force of the strap. Very common mistake.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Oil Filter Removal.

There are a couple ways, the easiest way, is to the get the socket that fits the oil filter, and just wrench it off.

+1.

You should take out a couple of screws from the fairing as I did and loosen it so you can pull back the fairing and get your socket wrench on th filter snugly.

The gorilla working in the Kawi factory in Japan puts those filters on very, very tight!!:D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so are we talking a socket that fits over the whole filter itself? like in the 30mm milimiter area??

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok got it. big ass pair of pliers ftw!!

·
Registered
801 Posts
you all are wrong, strap wrench FTW!! cost ya like 7 bucks.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i had the pliers so ill keep my seven bucks haha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.