Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a dyno run today, and came up with 80.6 hp! Another stock 01 6R came out with ~93.x
I have full exhaust + jet kit. So WTF!!!
I think there may be an exhaust leek around the canister rivets, I will get that done some time next week. Can that cause such a drop in HP? Bike seems to run OK, there is no backfiring, acceleration feels OK also.
HELP!!! Ideas?

ZX6R-J1 2000

·
Registered
321 Posts
My best guess would have to do with break-in. Of course many may disagree, but from what I've read...Babying the bike too much during break-in may not allow your rings to seat properly. The article I agree with suggests to fully warm up the engine, then hard throttle (not redline) through 2nd, 3rd, & 4th gears, then using strong engine breaking to slow down. This is just a guess to where your missing hp may have gone.

AL

You never know how fast you can go, until you crash.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a 2000 bike, and it was broken in the right way. Also it was on a dyno before, came up close to ~100 HP. This particular dyno was said to be about 15% low, but even if HP numbers are not right another >'stock'< 6R got 93HP.

ZX6R-J1 2000

·
Registered
25 Posts
were the jet kit and exhaust installed before the last dyno run? are the power numbers compensated for the conditions of the day (temperature, etc)?

Dan

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not so worried about the actual numbers. It's the difference between my bike and the other 6R. We did dyno runs with in 5 min of each other. I talked to the owner, he had no mods on his bike that would change performance. (Some cosmetic stuff)

Yes everything was done prior to the previous dyno run.
I wish I had the power curve from the latest dyno, but they only gave out hp numbers.

I will tear it down this weekend, check everything I can.

ZX6R-J1 2000

·
Registered
271 Posts
I dynoed my J1 two weeks ago prior to a tune-up and it was just shy of 90bhp. After a tune-up (more a clean-up of the carbs [:I]) and the fitting of an open pipe, it pulled 93.2bhp. Only existing mod was an ignition advancer.

The biggest difference before and after the service was the crispness of the throttle response: it felt even better than when I first got it from the previous owner. If there is some delay in throttle response, then there are possibly carb and compression issues to sort out.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to pull the plugs and check filter tomorrow. Don't have the carb tool, so I guess it's to the shop.

ZX6R-J1 2000

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, here is it. We did compression check, no problems there. Air filter is dirty, easy fix. Here is the problem, pulled the plugs and there is oil on them. My friend thinking it's a leaky gasket. Problem is that to get to the gasket I will have to move a lot of other stuff, maybe even remove the carbs. His diagnosis seems correct, what do you think?

The bike is under warranty, would this be covered? (Should it be covered is a better question.) I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow, so I want to know what answer to expect.

ZX6R-J1 2000

·
Registered
93 Posts
The engine should be covered under warranty. I only say this because I was debating wether or not to get another 3 years coverage and the dealer said that they only cover the engine. I dunno, definitely check though.

If it ain't broke don't touch it.......yeah right!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not only the engine as far as I know. I talked to the dealer and he said any manufacturing defect is covered. They said gaskets etc. are covered, but I have to pay them diagnostics fee. (1 hour of labor) Went in to get carbs done, and also had them check out this problem. In the end paid $75 for everything. Not a bad deal.

ZX6R-J1 2000

·
Registered
50 Posts
ok man if there isnt a lot of oil on the plugs. i bet ur runing way to lean man...i would try raising the mains..if you havent done that with the kit yet..then adjust your needles...what is your needle clip set at...?

I live for sundays!!!!!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Dude,your plugs should look a GOLDEN BROWN look at your tail pipe inside the can tip,is it blk or tan-ish??? if its rich it will have blk unburnt fuel.most shops that install pips and j/k's just install the jets the way the kit tells them to.that doesnt mean it right,most time its rich.rich is now always power,leaner is power.my 98zx6r is a cali model and it puts out 97.7 BONE stock,stock pipe, stock filter.it runs on the lean side,everything is golden brown,plugs/can tip. TM

·
Registered
284 Posts
Missed this post somehow. You were at the CB open house? Didn't see you for some reason. I'll copy my response from the Events & Rides thread:

--
Yup. Pics are at http://www.netsnapshot.com/pcw/b?KEY=10&ACCOUNT=11598

My badly-jetted bike got 92-point-something with its new (used) Akrapovic race system. Everybody says CB's dyno reads low, so when compared to the class winner (CBR600RR, 97 HP) and an '03 ZX-6RR (86 HP!), I guess I shouldn't be too disappointed. I think I could have won if we'd had time to tune the bike. My friend Marc was the one running the dyno, and he said my chart was ALL f***ed up.

Too bad there were no 636s, the class was 660cc and lower.
--

--------------

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was there for most of the day. I had my dyno done early on, got there around 9:30am. I had my carb synch done at a different shop, and had them look at plugs also (nice guys, didn't charge me for anything other than carbs). This nice shop is on Aurora and 102nd btw. Anyhow carbs are just a bit reach, and plugs are fine. I ran some carb cleaner fuel additive just in case. Next step is to put her on the dyno again.

ZX6R-J1 2000

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.