Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys whats up, i'm kristoff from belgium and new to this forum,

since a couple weeks i'm having a problem with my 03-04 zx6r.
cold starts great and runs awesome for the first 3-5min then when it reaches about 75°-80°C (165°-175°F) it starts to stutter when you blip the throttle off idle, its only in the lower rpms till about 4500.

the FI light doesnt come on and i have allready tried the following. swapped fuel pump, ECU, measured coil resistance, new air filter, throttle body sync, battery is fresh, injector cleaner, last thing i tried was fresh sparkplugs a couple days ago.

now when i pulled out the plugs i noticed that 3 of the plugs were wet and 1 was dry, check out the pic below. i've read that if you got wet plugs your running rich, but can this happen in all except 1 cylinder?

maybe this could have something to do with the problem i'm having?

hope someone on here can help me out! thanks

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
to read your plugs we need to see the porcelain. and to get a proper reading you'll need to chop the throttle and coast to a stop and not restart the bike

dont think the 03-04 has a O2 regulator, thought it was on the 05-06.. correct me if i'm wrong tho :rolleyes:
neither of them have an O2 sensor

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
by the look at your plugs i say your bike is runnin really rich. do you have a pc on the bike ? and wat all mods do you have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
by the look at your plugs i say your bike is runnin really rich. do you have a pc on the bike ? and wat all mods do you have.
no power commander, custom shorty exhaust and kleen air mod. did both mods the day i bought the bike last year july, ran perfect till a couple weeks ago..

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
no power commander, custom shorty exhaust and kleen air mod. did both mods the day i bought the bike last year july, ran perfect till a couple weeks ago..
i would suggest gettin a pc to fix the fueling problem. also put a new set of plugs in there and service the airfilter if needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i would suggest gettin a pc to fix the fueling problem. also put a new set of plugs in there and service the airfilter if needed.
put fresh plugs and air filter in last week, plugs above came out. neither of this fixed my problem.

isnt it best that we first find the solution for this problem instead of putting on a pc and thinking its not there? there must be a cause for this problem.. it ran awesome before. or do some bikes just happen to run shitty without there actually being something broke and just need finetuning ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
U R definitely right . fix the problem, first. I have a similiar problem. My 2003 ZX6R won't rev past 2k RPM if it's 85 degrees out. Tonight it's 75 degrees out and it will rev to 5k RPM. Just tried a different ECU but no better. This is what the Dealer suggested since it had no codes and all sensors tested good. I removed my PC USB2 , didn't help either

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you find a fix? I have an 04 636 & it tanks out around 10K rpm. Bike shops can't figure out what's causing it. Changed out all the electrical expect wiring harness, ecu, tank, throttle bodies, exhaust from my Two brothers after market back to stock. Nothing changes! The bike idles erracticly sometimes too low or too high. I too have one cylinder that burns rich as the new spark plug comes out black right away; the other 3 look too lean...

·
Registered
21 Posts
check the preasure sensors . there are (2) one is fuel rail preasure other is atmosphere sensor. try swapping them. i causes the ECU to think the bike is at the wrong elevation and screws up the ingation map

1 - 13 of 13 Posts