Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Bought my first street bike (07' ninja 250r) and have been antsy but waiting as i was put on the waiting list for MSB (motorcycle safety course, first opening would be in December :S) but am gonna wait it out to show my folks that I'm taking all precautions.

Kinda a lame question...
Helmet ideas for under 200 or is that a total bad idea. I know its worth it to spend a little more (as I have learned from a search) but theres so many out there... also jackets. Are textiles as safe for slides as leathers?

Sorry if I missed anything in a search but yeah any ideas would be great! Thanks a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Are you really going to wait until December to ride your bike!?!? Such torture...........Good luck with that.

As far as helmets go (and really all gear), there will be a ton of varying opinions. Spending less doesn't necessarily mean less protection. Just do your research and bargain shop. If you're not going to be on a bike for another 4-5 months, you have plenty of time to find a good deal of gear. Go to different shops and try stuff on. See what fits you best and what feels comfortable. Then go online and try to find that stuff cheaper. Try:

Newenough.com
Extremesupply.com
Kneedraggers.com

There are more sites, but those are the ones I have made purchases from. Remember when buying gear a lot of what you are paying for is the Brand and the reputation that comes along with it.

I have more to say but I'm off and traffic is going to be a bitch so I need to hurry on up out of here. I'm sure there will be some more sound advice to follow from other KF members.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
as far as gear goes, leather is the best hands down. leather will hold up better and protect more. that being said, its also quite a bit more expensive, and textile does fine for most things. my recomendation on that, is buy what you can afford now, and upgrade later.

as far as helmets. anything that is Snell, and DOT approved will protect about the same. after that you are mostly paying for comfort, breathability (in terms of airflow inside), and looks.

shark, avg, HJC, and scorpion are all good helmets. i might shell out somthing like $250 or $300 on a helmet for starters. i do like the scorpion lids. my little sis has one and she seems to like it.

also dont forget gloves. a good set of gloves is important. be sure to get somthing with leather palms, and preferably somthing hard in the knuckles. but on your gloves, get leather. a good set of gloves will run you around $60 or so.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
as far as gear goes, leather is the best hands down. leather will hold up better and protect more. that being said, its also quite a bit more expensive, and textile does fine for most things. my recomendation on that, is buy what you can afford now, and upgrade later.

as far as helmets. anything that is Snell, and DOT approved will protect about the same. after that you are mostly paying for comfort, breathability (in terms of airflow inside), and looks.

shark, avg, HJC, and scorpion are all good helmets. i might shell out somthing like $250 or $300 on a helmet for starters. i do like the scorpion lids. my little sis has one and she seems to like it.

also dont forget gloves. a good set of gloves is important. be sure to get somthing with leather palms, and preferably somthing hard in the knuckles. but on your gloves, get leather. a good set of gloves will run you around $60 or so.
I agree 110% :)

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
http://www.newenough.com/gloves/street_short_cuff/alpinestars/smx2_air_carbon_motorcycle_gloves.html

these are the gloves that i wear. i bought 2 pairs. i crashed in 1 pair. the impact from the crash deformed, and broke the carbon fiber, and concaved it in other places. it shreaded the palms. but that being said. i didnt have a mark on my hands. only thing is i got a little rash on my thumb knuckle, from where i kept sliding. but they held up well considering. i would have no quams purchasing another set, and wearing them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts