Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I've been reading this site for a little while and I love the plethora of opinions and perspectives it offers.

Heres' my situation:

I'm living in los angeles and I'm starting UCLA soon. Parking is impossible (and costly) unless you have a bike. I took my MSF a few weeks ago and had a pretty good time--I'm just waiting to take the written DMV to get my license.

I'm mainly looking for a commuter/beginner bike that gets good MPG and is relatively affordable for a broke college student like myself. After a good bit of searching, I stumbled upon the Ninja 250R. Everything about it seems right for me. Great MPG, it looks cool (let's be honest, we want to look cool), and what I really like about it is I don't feel intimidated by it. A lot of people (experienced, seasoned riders) are telling me to just get a 600-650cc bike, but I simply don't feel comfortable doing that.

I realize I have no experience and the only way to get better is to just do it. My commute is relatively short - 10 miles.

I think it's inevitable that I'll find myself in certain "threatening" situations, and making the wrong decision with a 650-600cc bike could potentially be a whole lot worse than making it with a 250cc bike.

The other issue is money. The 250R's seem to be going for almost 1.5k over msrp in the los angeles and surrounding areas. I guess it's just market value based on demand. Every dealer I called gave me one of three answers:

1) "Hahaha, we get 50 calls a day on that bike, good luck!"
2) "We have a waiting list of about 15 people, and we're only getting in 11 bikes within the next two months"
3) "We can put you on a waiting list, it might take a few months"

I managed to find a dealership that claims they have 5 coming in, and only 4 spoken for. I put a deposit down.

The question: is this even a good idea?

Used bikes seem to mostly be around the 600-750cc range, 4-10 years old, and they're going for only a couple grand below their MSPR of the current model.

(Also, the insurance on a 250cc bike will be substantially less than a 600-650cc bike--I THINK)

Do I scrap the idea of the 08 250R (which I love), and try and find some 10 year old bike (possibly an older 250r)for 1.5kish, or try and find a 600cc'ish bike (which I wouldn't prefer) for around 4k'ish?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Welcome to KF. :)

I'd go with a previous gen 250 for your needs. It satisfies all of your concerns for the moment. They are sturdy, bulletproof bikes if you can find one that doesn't have a lot of miles on it and the owner maintained it well.

Time to start looking on CL.

·
Registered
33 Posts
just my opinion but if your unsure of your riding/handeling capabilities i would probably stay away from the larger cc bikes the 250r is a great learning bike,looks cool and is pretty easy to resell (as you know) good luck with whatever you decide remember RIDE SAFE WEAR PROTECTION and dont forget to have fun doing it:D:cool:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
lookin for an older 250 isnt a bad idea, then you wouldnt feel so bad if you drop it. youre obviously not comfortable with getting a 600 so i wouldnt advise doing that. and if after you have been riding an old 250 for a while you feel like you wanna step up, then go ahead and get a 600, or if you just want a the new 250 then you can get that and feel more confident on it and not worry as much about dropping it as you would have if you got it first. welcome to the forums btw

G

·
I'm mainly looking for a commuter/beginner bike that gets good MPG and is relatively affordable for a broke college student like myself.
since u didnt mention u wanted something fast, then an older 250 would be the perfect bike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! Thanks a lot for the quick replies, I wasn't expecting that. I can back out and get my deposit refunded whenever I want, so for the time being I'm going to be exploring every other option out there. I jumped at the chance to pickup the 08 250 just because of how insanely hard they are to get, if I choose. In regard to the 500's, no offense, but I'm not crazy about the style of the bike. Aesthetics also deterred me from getting the older gen bikes too, but I guess I need to put that sh*t aside if I'm trying to go for economy.

Again, thank you all very much!!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Wow! Thanks a lot for the quick replies, I wasn't expecting that. I can back out and get my deposit refunded whenever I want, so for the time being I'm going to be exploring every other option out there. I jumped at the chance to pickup the 08 250 just because of how insanely hard they are to get, if I choose. In regard to the 500's, no offense, but I'm not crazy about the style of the bike. Aesthetics also deterred me from getting the older gen bikes too, but I guess I need to put that sh*t aside if I'm trying to go for economy.

Again, thank you all very much!!
The grim reality is that a new rider is most likely to drop their bike in the learning stages of their riding career. By starting with a used bike that doesn't cost much, the financial hit when the unfortunate drop/accident happens is much easier to absorb. Also, you will need money for safety gear.

Learn to ride and get comfortable with your first bike to learn the fundamentals we all needed to go through.

Good luck... let us know what you finally decide.
:)

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
ya, get the 250 for starters, its great on fuel milage, and tire life. its relativly inexpensive, and a very forgiving bike. they will also hold a great resale value, so that if you decide to move up to a larger bike in a year or so, you can get a good return on that bike.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
:Hello:Welcome! Looks like they pretty well answered your question! Be safe and have fun!

·
Registered
848 Posts
reason i went witha 250 over the 500 was the support from forums such as this. Don't rule out a Ninja 650 or sv650 either. Hell what do you think about on/off road bikes?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i looked at and sat on both the ninja 650 and the sv650.... comparing the two i thought it was no contest, the ninja was more comfortable, and lot more appealing to my eye.

im currently looking through CL to see if i can find something suitable. i've got to get one of my friends to come along and check out the bikes with me to make sure they're in fairly decent condition (because i wouldn't really know)

i'll let you guys know what happens :p

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
The Ninja 650 is very comfy; I rented one & rode it all day in the desert near Las Vegas a few months ago... had a great time on it. The SV also gets good reviews, but because it's a V-twin, has an entirely different power curve than the inline twin Kawi.

As many people ahve already indicated, the EX250 is a great starter bike, and resells well when you're ready (if ever) to move up.

If you have your heart set on an '08, the ONLY way you'll have a prayer is to put a down payment on one, and be sure to get the VIN# of one that's on the dealer's allocation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you have your heart set on an '08, the ONLY way you'll have a prayer is to put a down payment on one, and be sure to get the VIN# of one that's on the dealer's allocation.
I did put a down payment on an 08, but I'm still looking for a used bike in the interim. I figure which ever comes first I'll go for. But what's this business with the VIN#? Should I call them up and get it? Why?

Thanks for the info in advance

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I did put a down payment on an 08, but I'm still looking for a used bike in the interim. I figure which ever comes first I'll go for. But what's this business with the VIN#? Should I call them up and get it? Why?

Thanks for the info in advance
It assures there is actually a bike that is available for sale. Without it, the salesman can easily be taking deposits without even having an actual bike for sale and making you wait by telling you it will be there in two weeks... two weeks... two weeks, while holding onto yours and others money.

Once a VIN is discussed, I bet the OTD price will come up as the salesman needs to write up paperwork.... it's only then that you are actually in line for a bike that is being shipped to the dealer... anything else and he's just playing with your deposit... and you.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
It assures there is actually a bike that is available for sale. Without it, the salesman can easily be taking deposits without even having an actual bike for sale and making you wait by telling you it will be there in two weeks... two weeks... two weeks, while holding onto yours and others money.

Once a VIN is discussed, I bet the OTD price will come up as the salesman needs to write up paperwork.... it's only then that you are actually in line for a bike that is being shipped to the dealer... anything else and he's just playing with your deposit... and you.
:plusone: Couldn't have said it better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i was thinking. to be perfectly honest i really really REALLY want the new 08 250R, and the more and more i search for a used bike that seems right, only to find out it's a a complete pile of junk when i go to see it in person, the more i can justify the ridiculously marked up price tag.

i'm willing to bet that there is no vin, and they're just taking deposits, and selling the bikes whenever they get their next (few) shipments. i figured i'd just keep my place in line there and continue the seemingly hopeless search on craigslist for a used bike. eventually my number will come up, and i'll be next up in line for a 250. if i don't find a used bike by then, i'll take it.

is that reasoning flawed?

i'm sure there are great used bikes out there, i just haven't come across any yet. every time i go check one out, 9 times out of 10 it's a different story than the one presented online.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Just so you're realistic in your expectations, and know going in that some dealers are being less than honorable...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.