Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what's up, I'm the proud new owner of a 2005 ZX-6R 636. I just took delivery of it this past Saturday. It was purchased about 5 months ago new, and now has 3100 miles on it.

All I can say is man this ride is sweet! It's a very smooth running and shifting bike. I've read that the suspinsion is a little soft, and I think that's true. So I'll probably adjust it in the future for my 205lb self.

It already has an Ackropovic slip on pipe, which I believe gets rid of the butter fly valve in the exhaust that everyone does the wire jump mod for...correct me if I'm wrong as I am still a learning noob.
I'm not sure how powerful this bike is put it's gotta be putting down around 110 to the wheels.

·
Registered
418 Posts
welcome. the wire jump mod will benefit you whether or not you have a slip on or not. the butterfly valve is there to give more low/mid power and to control noise at higher rpm, the wire mod does some other stuff. i didnt search, but i think that the bikes in stock form are a little shy of 110 to the wheel.still plenty fast though....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome, Beaumont my old stomping grounds. Went to regina howell and marshall middle school way back in the 70's. Still got friends and family hanging around east tx. Great times there. Got the scorpion slipon and got rid of the butterfly. Runs so much better now. Plenty of power to keep up with my liter friends. Sometimes they even have to push a little to catch up with me, especially in twisties. Havent done the jumper mod yet. Read that it gets rid of the rev limiter. Next project.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't taken the seat off yet, but just feeling and looking up around where the butterfly pulley is supposed to be coming off the exhaust under the seat (from pics I've seen online), it seems to not be there anymore. I could be wrong, but the Ackropovic is a supposed to be race only on these bikes.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
If your bike has an aftermarket pipe, the exhaust valve is removed already. And yes, you can still do wire jumper mod, it'll pull harder just before the redline. Nice bike BTW!

And yes, your bike with Akra slip on should put around 110rwhp.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I'll have to try the wire mod.

But what's the general concenses on running Akra only and if the bike runs lean or rich? I've read some that say they run a little rich and some say a little lean, uhh?

I'm guessing this is were the PC2 comes in huh?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
PC3 lol! Slip ons don't require PC3, since there isn't a significant difference in air/fuel ratios compared to stock exhaust can IMO. Of course, I heard it helps to smooth out throttle response, give some extra hp, especially with custom tuned map, helps with popping-backfiring if you have that going on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I do hear a little popping now and then. But I do know it's running rich now, because I swiped my finger inside the can and there's a lot of black soot. Would a power commander clear this up? Does it nail the tune pretty dead on or just get it in the general area?

There's really not much else to do to the 636 as far as bolt on power adding other than exhaust and Power Commander is there?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Originally posted by setxninja
Well, I do hear a little popping now and then. But I do know it's running rich now, because I swiped my finger inside the can and there's a lot of black soot. Would a power commander clear this up? Does it nail the tune pretty dead on or just get it in the general area?

There's really not much else to do to the 636 as far as bolt on power adding other than exhaust and Power Commander is there?
The PC3 with a standard map downloaded from their website will get you close but a custom map or tune will be very close depending on the tuner and your riding style. A slip on will get you a couple hp if that, a good tuner and PC3 will get you 6-8 hp. Other mods you can try is gearing.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Congrats on the bike....now get rid of that fender [:p]

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by FightingFalcon
Congrats on the bike....now get rid of that fender [:p]
The funny thing is, that is an aftermarket fender the guy who had it before me put on there. It's better looking than the factory fender for sure, but I want to see just the exhaust out back and that's it.

6-8 hp is a good bit with a custom tune, how much extra torque is the average with a custom tune?

·
Registered
683 Posts

The funny thing is, that is an aftermarket fender the guy who had it before me put on there. It's better looking than the factory fender for sure, but I want to see just the exhaust out back and that's it.

6-8 hp is a good bit with a custom tune, how much extra torque is the average with a custom tune?
Not sure, but at fuelmoto those guys have a library of custom maps plus they'll upgrade your map if you make changes i.e. different exhaust or filter. They even double PC3 warranty. They have a website.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's good power tweak, but I'm right at sea level and it probably wouldn't work as well for me. Though, I do want to get a good tune, just not sure if I should get it custom tuned or a download tune from PCommander. Also what's the difference between PC2 and PC3?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey what's up, I'm the proud new owner of a 2005 ZX-6R 636. I just took delivery of it this past Saturday. It was purchased about 5 months ago new, and now has 3100 miles on it.

All I can say is man this ride is sweet! It's a very smooth running and shifting bike. I've read that the suspinsion is a little soft, and I think that's true. So I'll probably adjust it in the future for my 205lb self.

It already has an Ackropovic slip on pipe, which I believe gets rid of the butter fly valve in the exhaust that everyone does the wire jump mod for...correct me if I'm wrong as I am still a learning noob.
I'm not sure how powerful this bike is put it's gotta be putting down around 110 to the wheels.
Nice Bike

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
That's good power tweak, but I'm right at sea level and it probably wouldn't work as well for me. Though, I do want to get a good tune, just not sure if I should get it custom tuned or a download tune from PCommander. Also what's the difference between PC2 and PC3?
Wont make any difference. The map works great at sea level as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.