Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I'm ex-military and attending USC in Columbia, SC. I have owned an '01 Suzuki SV-650 and currently have a '00 Buell X1 Lightning and '07 ZX6R that I just picked up the other day. Been riding for a year or so now and decided it's about time to step up to a real sportbike, lol.

'07 ZX6R with 7,800 miles. Has full (from what I can tell) Jardine exhaust and tail tidy. Been dropped by previous owner who replaced the fairings with some aftermarket ones (I think?) that he spray painted black, which is horrible. Has a dent in the tank as well as the frame. I rode it two hours the other day with no issues except the headlights went out due to broken connectors at the back of the bulbs as well as harness connectors. Regardless, I think I got a pretty good deal on it and am overall happy.

Here are some pics of it, tell me what you think of it, or any info you can tell me judging from the pics? Like why are my forks red?

Here's a list of things I want to do/change/modify, etc:

1) Find OEM fairings or a good set of aftermarket ones for relatively cheap or good deal. OR take the time to sand these down and paint them. I just want gloss black and/or with some dark red accents to match the wheels and forks.

2) Because of the aftermarket exhaust, I don't have that motorized flap thing or whatever but the servo still engages when I turn the key to on. I need to find out what fuse or wire I need to mess with in order to stop it from doing that. I also have a blinking FI light on my dash that I was told is due to that servo not being able to engage the flap in the exhaust.

3) I need to find new plugs/housings for the headlight bulbs, as well as connectors for the harness. Both sides are cracked and are held together with tape it seems...thanks previous owner.

4) I need to lower it some...nothing crazy, but I'm 5'4" and despite being used to using my toes or balls of my feet, I'd like to lower it maybe 2" or so.. The Buell in the pictures is damn near impossible to lower easily or cheaply.

5) Want to put HIDs in the headlights, so need to figure out what are the best options for my bike and where to get them. I don't want to just stick some HID bulbs in there and blind everyone on the road, so want real projectors.

6) I also noticed that the throttle seemed very on/off...like it had slack in the drivetrain or maybe suspension? When I'm off throttle and start to give it some it jerks and then is smooth for the rest of the engagement, the whole bike I mean. Then when I left off completely it jerks the opposite direction (forward). I'm probably not explaining it right but it's like there's slack somewhere that gets taken up when I start to give it throttle, and then increases when I let off completely. Need to figure out what that's about.

Sorry for the long post! I'll be doing lots of reading, I assure you. And since there's so many of these related forums, I signed up to a few that seemed more specific to the ZX6R bikes.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
2) Just pull the whole servo. It's under the tail on the clutch side and weighs a TON. You'll always have an FI tripped unless you buy or make a servo eliminator, but it doesn't affect the way the bike runs.
3) I've got a set of dirty but 100% usable lights (no broken tabs, cracked plastic, or damaged connectors). They'll need a bit of a clean up, but $200 + shipping from Canada if you want em.
4) Doubt you'll get away with 2" lowered... but you can drop it a bit.
6) Bike can be pretty jerky in first... at low RPMS, ride it harder haha. Might also be because of the aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2) Yeah I've been reading up on that. I'll definitely do that. Hate the sound of it clicking on system check. I also ordered a servo buddy thing. Don't like warning lights..

3) I don't need the whole lights honestly...just the male and female plug connectors. The females that come on the back of the bulbs will be easy to find since I'll just get new bulbs...but the males on the wiring harness will be trickier I think...unless somewhere like Autozone has them.

4) How about 2" in rear and 1" in front? Or is that too extreme?

5) I've been asking this question in some other places and so far I have a few things to check such as the cush drive, chain tightness, etc. Just weird that I read this in an online review of the bike:

Unlike the CBR, the ZX's throttle response couldn't be smoother - off-throttle abruptness has been banished from this FI system.
Seems quite the opposite really given my past bikes. Even my torquey old-school Buell doesn't have such a deadzone in the throttle..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dave.

Does anyone know why my forks and wheels are that dark red? What's the color actually called? Is it an "SE" edition?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like 'em too lol. Could you post a side pic of your bike? I'm wondering if I should add some more red or keep the rest black.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts