Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey whats up im posting from California
and just wanted to ask some questions before I buy my 1st 250r
(well 1st motor bike in general)

I've been hearing soooooo many mixed information about owning a bike
and what a better place to ask then bikers them selfs:

so im 19 with driving experience of 2 years (its barley nothing i know:rolleyes:)
so with the insurance being a HUGE roll in this. is it WORTH buying a bike now?

and plus people have said that i need life insurance, and health insurance in case if i crash. WTF!!!!!!!!!

please let me know and if there's anyone else in cali. that owns a 250r, can i ask how much you pay for your insurance so atleast i can have an idea

plus i should take the MSF asap

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Honestly i like the new ones because the old 07, 06 editions they look "non-aggressive"

the 08 models are really nice! those aggressive head lamps is what i look for
that's just my taste

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Welcome to KF.

Life insurance is up to you. Health insurance is debatable. First off, since you are 19, are you covered under your parents still? Second, depending on your level of motorcycle coverage, it may or may not cover you. For me, I have my motorcycle insurance covering my co-pay before my health insurance kicks in.

Check with your health insurance company on how they handle motorcycle accidents. Some may not pay at all claiming it is the job of your motorcycle insurance. Biggest part is, you do want medical. If you wreck, you don't want to have to foot $100,000+ in bills, do you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm honestly since its going to be my 1st bike and plus its under 300cc
I HIGHLY doubt i'll built up the courage to go any where faster then the speed limit . I can control myself

basically I want the 250r for a weekend fun getaway type of vehicle

:monkeyup:

so im going to put it on minimal insurance coverage.if theres any suggestions please let me know

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Hmmm honestly since its going to be my 1st bike and plus its under 300cc
I HIGHLY doubt i'll built up the courage to go any where faster then the speed limit . I can control myself

basically I want the 250r for a weekend fun getaway type of vehicle

:monkeyup:

so im going to put it on minimal insurance coverage.if theres any suggestions please let me know
Umm...going fast or not, when you get hit by a truck not paying attention, you will want that coverage.

And under 300cc means nothing. At only 250cc I have been up to 95 mph+, and I weigh in at 200lbs. That bike can haul if you ask it to.

And if you really enjoy riding the bike, you will ride it. Everyday, and every chance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah i totally agree with you 110%
but the problem is that im a full time student . well more like over time :(

so i dont really have a chance to work as of yet. so buying FULL coverage isn't going to be my 1st choice.

so im guessing if i want a basic coverage what would be a cheap insurance company in general that can help me out here

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Does your college offer a discounted health insurance? When I was going to college, mine required every student to have health insurance. If you didn't have it you got a subsidized plan through the school. Just a thought. Don't want to read a thread later of you in the hospital and needing money to help pay all of the bills.

Hopefully, you will never set foot in the hospital, but you always need to be prepared for the worst.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.