Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just registered today on kawiforums.

I have a question about Kawasaki and the ZX636. Does kawi have any problems with these bikes, like oil starvation, clunky gearbox/transmission, frames crack easily, etc? I'm doing research on the 636 and am considering buying one. I know it's going to be tempting to some to say, " It's a great f'n bike".. but please refrain because i'm not exactly listening for praises on the bike. Just looking for impartial statistics, not biased for or against.

Thanks and by the way, i'm a cool guy - I don't come to put anyone down. This seems like the place to ask these questions [8D]

·
Registered
230 Posts
Welcome!
Buy one... you won't be disappointed!:D
A 636 has everything you want in a motorcycle. Put it through the break in period. Take it easy, ride within your abilities. You will like it there is no doubt about it. An 06 ZX6R was my first sportbike and (after 1000 miles) I will not look back. Tons of fun!:D
Keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
342 Posts
2600 on mine (RR) and not a problem yet. Shes purring away. I didnt even do the crazy oil changes like everyone else does, just the first one at 750 and then went according to the manual. I also use Kawi oil and filter. My suspension in the rear is getting a little soft for some reason, im noticing that under loads its dipping down a bit to much but im sure it just needs some adjustment. Other than that its perfect.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
i ride alot of bikes and have had a few...The ZX6R is a great bike and i have had ZERO issues with mine...

I have had it on track a couple times, street miles, highway miles and had a great time with her...just changed the oil and rode, also tires.
The biggest thing for me was the stock windscreen is total shit, get a double bubble and be set if you just want to ride.
if your looking to raly abuse her get a steering damper as well.

Otherwise you can mod all day long.$$$$$

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ChrisZX6RR, I've noticed the same problem on my cbr900, with the rear shock getting soft. I cannot be totally sure, but i think some of it has to do with the summer temps here in AZ. I do need to check my tire pressure though before i can say it's the shock/heat problem.

·
Registered
272 Posts
i'm on my third zx-6r. really all the bikes in the 600 class are equal in terms of performance, but the 636 is the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Engin is noisy (kawasaki trait), Gearbox is clunky (but because of that you hardly ever miss a gear, gearbox is alot smoother at high rpm's), not the smoothest ride (probably becuase its actually aggresively a track bike) , Frames i don;t know, mine hasn;t cracked yet and I cant think of ever reading on these forums that anyone has complained about cracking.

Its definatley not the sexiest bike on the road. I would however NEVER settle for any other bike!!!! Great power, LOTS of fun. It beats all the other 600cc bikes in about all the magexines when comparing performance and specs. It looses out to the other 600's in the looks department tho in these same magezines.

Hope it helps

·
Registered
136 Posts
I got mine in Jan. and have 2000 Miles and the tranny is smooth as hell never misses a gear and it really only "clunks" droppin it into first. It also depends on the rider, but the whole bike i think was very well made for what is was meant to do from the brakes to the motor to the suspension. All you need is a steering damper and break it in nice [^]
Ride safe and enjoy it

·
Registered
879 Posts
Originally posted by Fade-Dude
Its definatley not the sexiest bike on the road. I would however NEVER settle for any other bike!!!! Great power, LOTS of fun. It beats all the other 600cc bikes in about all the magexines when comparing performance and specs. It looses out to the other 600's in the looks department tho in these same magezines.

Hope it helps
WTF? Give me some of that crack you're smokin!

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
I think it IS the sexiest middle weight out there. But thats not the reason I bought mine. It got great reviews and after a year of owning one, it has definetely lived up to my expectation. Only complaints I have is the gearbox can be a little clunky sometimes, but that is probably from poor shifting. And I think that the stock gearing is a little too high. If you get one, spend $30 bucks on a -1 tooth front sprocket. Thats the way it should have came from the factory, IMO. Oh yeah, the stock bridgestone tires aren't that good either. Not that they are horrible to ride on or anything but when you switch to a different make, you will notice a big difference. Go ahead and ride on them for a few thousand miles until its time to get new ones and then switch to Dunlop Qualifiers or Michelin Pilot Powers. Its a great bike, get one.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Its definatley not the sexiest bike on the road. I would however NEVER settle for any other bike!!!!

I thought it was the best looking 600 personally. I don't like the sharp lines on the other bikes escpecially the r1 and honda. I have 2600 miles on mine and have not had a problem. The suspension is great gearbox and engine have had no problems.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
Originally posted by cruizin
Hi everyone. I just registered today on KawiForums.

I have a question about Kawasaki and the ZX636. Does kawi have any problems with these bikes, like oil starvation, clunky gearbox/transmission, frames crack easily, etc? I'm doing research on the 636 and am considering buying one. I know it's going to be tempting to some to say, " It's a great f'n bike".. but please refrain because i'm not exactly listening for praises on the bike. Just looking for impartial statistics, not biased for or against.

Thanks and by the way, i'm a cool guy - I don't come to put anyone down. This seems like the place to ask these questions [8D]
the type of questions u have there would prolly be better answered in the stunters corner or a stunt forum. i haven't heard of any issues from other stunters with the newer zx6's (03 and up). o btw, welcome aboard

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the gearbox noise. I think I can live with that. What i can't live with.. Bridgestone tires..ewwww. LOL j/k. I've heard the Pilot Powers are very good street tires. As for the looks of the bike, I like it very much but i also like the looks of the other makers 600's, including the Daytona. One more question here, on the head of the frame there is a bulky rectangle molded into the frame... what's up with that? Thanks guys for welcoming me here[8D]

·
Registered
757 Posts
Here's my unbiased 2 cents: There are only 2 criteria to meet when buying a sportbike these days - if it looks right and if it fits right. Everything else is unimportant. All are plenty fast and performance difference within a class is too marginal to matter in real world. Reliability is fine no matter which brand you go with, save Buell (unless you want your bike to sound like John Deere and piss oil all over your garage in the best Harley tradition).
I picked an 06 636 in black because the looks alone almost made me pee my panties. Performance figures never really interested me, I guess I sorta figured it was fast enough to fuck me up. I'd agree with the gearing issue though, I don't care if it can go over 120 or not, but I would like some more oomph down low, so -1+2 sounds pretty interesting. The only thing I really wish for is a R1/R6 quad headlight cluster, so I could have 2 HID lows and 2 regular high beams.
...and I almost bought a Suzuki TL1000R instead...

·
Registered
443 Posts
one of my only complaints is that the mirrors are total crap over say 75 mph. has anyone done anything (short of new mirrors) to stop them from vibrating so much? oh and the bike also gets pretty warm (sweaty thighs are not really fun) in traffic. other than that it's an awesome bike. especially in green.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My Mirrors are fine, they enver vibrate that i've noticed.
As for APinBama, come one, even tho I don;t like yamaha you cant tell me that the new look R6 isn't something amazing. As for the magezines, more than one has stated that the 6R falls a bit behind in looks, one of them being superbike magezine,June issue. Look, I love my bike to bits but I won;t be biased (<---spelling) and say it beats all else because I like it! Its damn sexy, but not the sexiest.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the gearbox noise. I think I can live with that. What i can't live with.. Bridgestone tires..ewwww. LOL j/k. I've heard the Pilot Powers are very good street tires. As for the looks of the bike, I like it very much but i also like the looks of the other makers 600's, including the Daytona. One more question here, on the head of the frame there is a bulky rectangle molded into the frame... what's up with that? Thanks guys for welcoming me here[8D]
the rectangle box up front that mounts to the frame? that is the air intake. "ram air" . air is forced in at the front kinda between the headlights and goes thru the frame to the airbox under the gas tank. i'm guessing this is what ur talking about and hope this helped. btw, i highly recomend pilot powers or pilot race tires. but they don't last a very long time. i'd rather have a soft tire with good grip myself tho.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Tires you can change. New gsxr's are coming stock with the same Bridgstones as the ZX6. Yes, that's the ram air intake. I've got over 7K on my 2005 and not a single problem. Like as stated before, though. It's in what you like to look at, what you're comfortable sitting on, and what makes you feel happy you spent your hard earned money on. I can honestly say, I feel the Kawi is the sweetest looking bike out there, in any cc category (cept. maybe the zx-14, but I could learn to like it!).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was mainly looking into buying a zx6r for : price, most comfortable in it's class. R6 i would like to own one, but not for the dealer price. GSXR... don't like them. CBR600RR.. i like it but hear it's not comfortable at all and in 2005 they had a suspension fork issue.

I called the insurance company today and should have a quote by Monday. We'll see if i actually go through with buying the bike.

Hey, why is a 6RR $200 more than the 636? Is it because the 6RR has a TiSiCN coating on the fork sliders? And i notice the 6R only comes in green for 2006. I'm so far only liking the titanium/red and then black 6R colors. I may end up with a green one... sure am glad i can paint!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Heh, the green ones are way faster than the rest. (it comes like that from the factory) :D
And don;t let them tell you bull. Look how many different colours 2006 models are on these forums. If your dealer tells you they only make green for 2006, get another dealer. But eh, I wanted green!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.