Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my bike is a 2000 ZX9R. I just got through doing a large service on it. I shimmed my valves to correct clearances, oil, shimmed my jet needles for my new exhaust, adjusted idle mixture, and synchronization. Well, I was turning around in my buddies driveway, something I've done a 100 times, and my front tire hit a mud puddle and the bike slid out from under me, I was doing under 5 MPH. After that happened, I was having a high rpm misfire, so i figured oil had gotten to my plugs, I'll change them.

So I go buy new plugs, put them in, and cylinder 3 is now misfiring.
I checked the plug, it was fine.
Tried putting 2 different old plugs in to cylinder 3, same story.
Tried swapping coils around, same thing.
I narrowed it down to a cylinder three problem cause I can unplug it while the bike is running(ish) and it doesn't change a thing.
The end of the plug did have fuel on it.
And the coil and plug were warm as though firing.
And the fuel is good fuel.
And I checked my jet needle shims and idle mixture screws and all is well. So what the eff is going on?
Also, I did have to blow into my float bowls to even get them to deliver fuel to start the bike. I assume that is a vacuum issue though caused by this misfire?

Im used to working on 4 cyl. cars and thats whats made this so easy for me so far, but I cannot for the life of me understand whats causing this. I guess it should be said that the bike was running absolutely pristine prior to the slide. Please help? Any more info needed im happy to provide. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Mate, Sorry to hear about your mishap. Check the float/valve and float setting on 3 (go to factory pro website for how to and settings). Fingers crossed!
Regards

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
fuck man.. what a shitty break.

Hmm.. so, we know it's fuel at least.just for fun, i would throw a comp gauge and do leakdown on it.. JUST for fun. always good to know that sorta shit anyway.

when you get it started, does pulling the choke or getting it off idle help any?

if so, look into the pms screw setting and pilot jet condition. inspect float height.

best of luck and keep us posted.

welcome to KF, ian

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Soooooooooooo, Long story short, bad coil boot. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I do need to check my floats though still.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts