Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Andre 3000
1,092 Posts
deezyellownutz said:
The insulation I used is kinda like foam, used in the seats. I just wrapped it around the ballast and then taped it so its like surrounding it. So then I just stuck it in between the inner and outer fairing in that little space. The foam forms around the space and holds it in place. No glue, zip ties or nothing, just the fact that it fits in there.
I have been looking at HID kits on the ebay and read in one of the auctions that the ballast should be in a ventilated area because it produces heat. I would hate for yours not to last as long as others because of trapped heat. Just an FYI and I do not know for sure if it will hurt it. I did have a kit on my mustang and ballast do get warm.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I did think about that, but I don't think gets too hot and is within operating range.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Johnny Random said:
I have been looking at HID kits on the ebay and read in one of the auctions that the ballast should be in a ventilated area because it produces heat. I would hate for yours not to last as long as others because of trapped heat. Just an FYI and I do not know for sure if it will hurt it. I did have a kit on my mustang and ballast do get warm.
There is a limit of heat that a ballast can produce. According to you, it sounds like these things are like magma, ready to melt anything in its way.

The ballasts do get warm as with any electronic device producing power. However, the ballast it self is a completely enclosed metal box that does not have any openings or heat vents. If you wrap it in foam as mentioned above, this may or may not diminish the life of the ballast. At this point there is no factual proof that enclosing this part will cause failure. In fact, think of the heat under a car hood on a 100 degree day. Most new cars are manufactured with HID systems in place from the factory.

On a motorcycle, there is less heat entrapped, so wrapping the ballasts at above mentioned is not a critical problem.

·
Registered
571 Posts
hey FSANE i seen the video of the two bikes ur 636 with the 8000k and the other 636 with the 6000k

do u have a video of what both of them bike shinning on the ground at night?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Very true, I failed to mention that the cars engine bay produces a LOT more heat than that compartment in the bike. I used an older ballast for over a year and no issues. The case is enclosed in metal and has not vents. I think the max operating range is like 100 degrees C... not sure. I will check, correct me someone if I am wrong.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
speedf606 said:
hey FSANE i seen the video of the two bikes ur 636 with the 8000k and the other 636 with the 6000k

do u have a video of what both of them bike shinning on the ground at night?
I will try to fulfill your request, however I'm not sure when I'll be able to get this video for you. The green 636 is still in storage and the blue is unavailable at the moment. I will see what I can do as soon as I get my hands on either one.

·
Registered
571 Posts
F SANE IL said:
I will try to fulfill your request, however I'm not sure when I'll be able to get this video for you. The green 636 is still in storage and the blue is unavailable at the moment. I will see what I can do as soon as I get my hands on either one.

its good i was just curious if u had it on hand ya know but if u do get one post it up but dont go out ur way cuz im pretty set on the 6000k i wanna b able to see everthing perfect at night

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
speedf606 said:
its good i was just curious if u had it on hand ya know but if u do get one post it up but dont go out ur way cuz im pretty set on the 6000k i wanna b able to see everthing perfect at night
They are both bright. I have the 8000k, which it he blue 636 in the video.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm interested in the hid kit. Will these fit my 2006 zx6RR? I would think so since the body styles are pretty much the same as the zx6r. Do you have a pic of each temperature? I'm still not sure which one I want.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Question about bulb/ballast compatability?

Do these ballast accept the Phillips Ultinon Bulbs? If so I am definaley in for another set.

I love the 6000K bulbs, but the slight purpleish hue from the Phillips Ultinon Bulbs would color coordinate better.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
mariano3113 said:
Question about bulb/ballast compatability?

Do these ballast accept the Phillips Ultinon Bulbs? If so I am definaley in for another set.

I love the 6000K bulbs, but the slight purpleish hue from the Phillips Ultinon Bulbs would color coordinate better.
Unfortunately I can't answer that question accurately since I do not sell the Phillips bulbs nor ballasts. However, it might be a possibility.

Why don't you go with a higher K number or if you want like a violet type color, I can get Violet bulbs as well.

In fact, for women riders, if you'd like, I can get pink color bulbs with your kits.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I run 12K and I love the color.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
GP3# has begun. Check out the new GP#3 post

For Everyone who have purchased a set in the past:
Let me know if you'd like to have your bike picture posted in the gallery for everyone to see.

Also, Please visit my Rapleaf profile to rate your experience and product purchased if you have some time on your hands.
Here's the link:
http://www.rapleaf.com/profile/view/OTlDzEo8

Thanks everyone,

ILYA
FSANE PERFORMANCE

121 - 140 of 140 Posts