Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and really didn't find anything. I was wondering if any of you fellow riders have installed aftermarket headlight bulbs. I have no idea what type or style works best, and if they are relitivly easy to install. In one topic, somebody mentioned not to get higher watts, because it can burn up your wires? Just wondering if that is true. Hope somebody can shed some light on this topic, considering that I am 2 feet under snow, not in to big of a hurry, but still itchin to fire my baby back up!

2002 zx-6r
green, of course

·
Registered
223 Posts
I replaced my factory one w/just a regular H4, saved a lot of money, but it is running hotter now and the plug has melted a little.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I replaced mine and the bulb exploded no I didn't touch the bulb when I was putting it in. Luck would have it that Kawasaki replaced the whole headlight for me thank god.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I threw in some super-white h4's on my old 99 for a while. They sorta looked cool with the white light, but I don;t think they illuminated any better. Looking at them you'd think they look brighter, but they didn't actually let you see any better. Depends if you ride at night I guess.

·
Registered
418 Posts
These are a UK based HID aftermarket kit manufacturer and use the same bulbs as in the mercs/bmws/etc
http://www.autolamps-online.com/

You can email them for the info on

[email protected]

Look for the bulbs called 'Hylows' which is a H4 dual beam conversion. They aren't cheap @$300USD plus per one bulb kit, but they will tailor make it to fit your bike.

Many of the Subaru owners have them and the company have a close tie in with the forum http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=172971. I was considering it for my G1 but the cost is a bit rich for me at the moment:(. They look the Biz though[8D]

You can configure them as you like and the single beam kits would replace one bulb and stay on with low and high beam, and the other bulb would operate with high beam and be a standard halogen bulb.

BTW The HID bulbs only run 35 watts as they are much more efficient and give the equivalent of 150 halogen watts but run much cooler.

Ash:D

Live to ride, Erm Erm, Where are my Car Keys ?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have looked this in detail and corresponded with autolamps about a bike conversion, but I won't bore you with finer points unless its of value.

Ash

Live to ride, Erm Erm, Where are my Car Keys ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I put an after market blue halo in my bike about a year after I had it and I would recomend it to anyone to do the same. Cops don't like them very well, but safty wise, they catch eyes on the rode of other drivers. I have had many people say to me that they could see me coming from a mile away, not literally, because of my new bulb. Plus it also looks cool. I bought mine at M&M Motor Mall in Kalamzoo, MI. I'm not sure if they have a web site that you can buy parts from, but I'm sure they have an 800 number on it to anyone interested

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I bought these MTEC H7 xenon HID bulbs for my '03. I put them in and they are the perfect color (4350K) bright white with a slight tint of blue in them. Looks just like HID lighting. The 2003's use 55 Watt H7 bulbs. The MTEC ones I purchased are great quaility and LOW LOW price I got a set of 2 bulbs for only $18. Also, it's tempting but dont go any more blue than (5000K) otherwise you'll get pulled over and you wont be able to see good in rain (or SNOW, for all you northen folks!) I am very happy with my MTEC bulbs.

With great freedom, comes great responsibility.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
You have to keep in mind HID are not the same as typical halogen filled bulbs, they are definatly more efficient, like stated. But you need a ballast and such to run them.. And the wattage rating of a bulb is what it uses, NOT what it puts out in light (lumen).. More wattage does not mean more light all the time and yes, over running the amps in a small wire will definatly let the smoke out of it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
heres my HID. HID kits runs a lot cooler than halogen bulbs. keep in mind..this is in low beam. wait til i get some pix of high beam ;)

·
Registered
298 Posts
hey crash, are those hid's from another vehical or did you get them as a kit somewhere? and where did you mount the ballasts?

·
Registered
329 Posts
they're a kit.. the brand is McCulloch. i mount the ballast on the side fairing with velcro. it held on pretty good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have a mculloch hid kit on my car. i got it off ebay for $315 shipped. its a pretty nice kit and ive had no problems with it. i might get the same kit for my bike later on, but i got em for my car cause i do a lot more driving at night. hid's really are the only way to go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.