Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My 6k HID kit arrived today and I cannot wait to get it hooked up.

Can you tell me what I need to remove from my bike to install it? I assume that I need to remove the side and front fairing panels?

Where do you lot put the ballast?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
You're very welcome Big Nick. Credit for the write up goes to Fsane.com. Be sure to post plenty of pics of your new lights!:D

·
Registered
679 Posts
hey sushi where did you mount it, under that cover has some insulation stuck to it

Yes sir, either under or on the side. I remember doing a "mock" mount to see how or where to fit. Then stuck the badboys on there and closed it up. The good thing is, with our projectors, I still get a nice good cut off and no glare. Usually halogen projectors don't work so well with HIDs. No problems and you guys will love it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I alway thought halogen projectors were perfect for HID's. So the halogen projectors and HID projectors are different?

Common misconception my friend. Many think since it is a projector, it will work the same. The thing is HID and Halogens have totally different beam patterns. Hence HIDs and Halogens have different reflectors engineered to work with the beam(this is why when you install HID in a car with regular reflectors, you get crazy glare and output).

Same goes for projectors and some may project the light too high.

Here is a halogen projector from a Honda I think on the left, compared to HID projector on the right.

I did not know this until I read a lot about this and researched. Many guys on teh 07 and up Camrys install HIDs thinking "Yay Haxx0r I are the halogen projector so can use HIDs!" They run into a problem where it causes glare to oncoming traffic. So see below what their fix is

Here is something that might make it easier to understand
The red lines are the lights coming out through the squirrel spotter hole. Halogens are not too bright, so after getting reflected off the shield, more lumens are reduced thus not causing glare. HIDs are very bright, so even after getting reflected off the shield, the reduced lumens are still greater then the max lumens produced from a halogen bulb.

Simply pushing the flap down does NOT fix the squirrel spotter situation.

The bottom two pics are with the squirrel spotter hole covered. At this point, you can leave the flap at it's original angle or you can push it back down, it will not affect the light output. But as lammydi said, pushing it down can create a barrier between the heat to the soda can and jb-weld.

Courtesy of
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192949&page=4&highlight=Glare

FWIW with my low beam, the beam pattern is good, with a nice cutoff and no glare. BUT when I use my high beam, it seems to blind people lol. Not sure how the high beam halogen was.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts