Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey im new to the forums and was wondering if anyone could recommend me the cheapest HID lights i could get? i want to replace my stock lights and put 8000k HID. I dont care what brand, just lookin for cheapest. i tried using the search tool but it wasnt helpin much. any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright, now how about a brand or a link to get these? ive searched and searched and dont have a clue. i just assume that this has been asked and that someone has the answer.

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts
Search, young padawan. This topic was brought up less than a month ago. And this is not a 05/06 specific question. It belongs elsewhere on the forum with its 40 other versions.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Search and you'll find all the very good reasons not to fit them.

Putting HID emitters into the stock reflectors is a crime that should be punished by lethal injection. For use of non DoT or CE approved projectors, red hot needles pushed into the eyes is about right.

And remember that with HIDs, as with so many things in life, cheap means crap.

Rob

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
And remember that with HIDs, as with so many things in life, cheap means crap.

Rob
But there is always a diamond in the rough, and DDMTuning is that diamond.

OP, I'll tell you first hand that DDM Tuning is the way to go.

Why take my advice? I used to own an automotive lighting business, and DDMTuning HID Kits (Slim Kits) were my biggest sellers. I sold hundreds upon hundreds of these kits. I've installed dozens of them myself, whether it be on all my vehicles, my families vehicles, friends vehicles, or customers vehicles. 99% of them have been problem free. DDMTuning is pretty damn good with warranty claims, so the 1% always got replacements.

With the Projectors vs Non-Projectors. Yes, I do agree that projectors should be used when installing HID's, however, if you can't afford projectors, I don't think that should turn you off from getting HID's. I've done numerous tests of head-on drive-by's with various vehicles that are not equipped with projectors, which I installed HID's in, and I've never had any blinding issues. Yes, non-projectors will bleed light, but it's truly not that bad.

So with that being said, if you have the money, retrofit projectors and get HID's. Projectors aim light more directly, and are much much better than standard headlight reflectors. If you don't have that kind of money, don't be turned off, I still say get HID's.

...and yeah, this topic has been covered A LOT .. probably in every sub-board of this forum at one point or another.:Laughing rolling:

·
Registered
653 Posts
F-Sane

F-Sane also has a very good option for HID kits. Ive had my installed for the past 5 months with no problems. Also come with lifetime warranties...

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
But there is always a diamond in the rough, and DDMTuning is that diamond.

OP, I'll tell you first hand that DDM Tuning is the way to go.

Why take my advice? I used to own an automotive lighting business, and DDMTuning HID Kits (Slim Kits) were my biggest sellers. I sold hundreds upon hundreds of these kits. I've installed dozens of them myself, whether it be on all my vehicles, my families vehicles, friends vehicles, or customers vehicles. 99% of them have been problem free. DDMTuning is pretty damn good with warranty claims, so the 1% always got replacements.

:
I'm not the slightest bit interested in how many you've sold or how reliable they are.

You cannot get a good beam shape from an emitter put into the stock reflector without a projector. The change is illegal for street use - but as you were selling them you wouldn't care about that of course, or that you were selling something potentially dangerous to other road users.

CE or DOT approved projectors are OK within reason. Are the DDM projectors type approved, or are they not good enough to secure type approval?

Rob

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Most modifications for bikes and cars on the road today are illegal in one sense or another. Amazing how there are tint shops that offer tint all the way to 5%, and yet the legal limit is only 70% .. and there they are, right there in the public eye.

These shops should be ashamed of themselves, because they are concealing the driver which in turn can be dangerous for police and other drivers. /sarcasm.

I was telling the OP how reliable they are, not if they are legal. (Any aftermarket HID's you buy are illegal .. FYI .. Projectors or not). You're not here looking for HID's, so my comment on their reliability wasn't directed towards you in the least. I've done many tests with my own vehicles of coming at them on a pitch black street, and none were any more blinding than any other vehicle with stock halogen bulbs. As long as people adjust the beam angle appropriately, HID's can work in stock reflectors. Again, not as good as projectors, but still very well.

My Z1000's HID's are very bright, and I get no complaints from anybody I ride with, and never been flashed by oncoming traffic.

HID's have saved my life more than once as I was able to see animals/obstacles in the road just barely, that I wouldn't have been able to see with garbage halogen's, so as far as I am concerned, selling them to people, I may have saved lives. :Laughing rolling:

You're not changing my mind, and I'm not changing yours. So, lets agree to disagree and carry on. :)

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Personally, I feel that if you need HIDs scattering light all over the road your night vision is such that you shouldn't really be operating any motor vehicle - or you just don't have the skills to operate within the range of your lights.

As for being seen in daylight, they're the wrong colour and less good than conventional halogens - and much poorer than a yellow or amber light.

Research outside of the people with an interest in taking your money off you and you might be surprised at what you find.

I agree with the comment about shops selling stuff that's well illegal. Why not torch the shop and hang the owners? That's what I'd really like to be able to do where the stuff being sold is actually dangerous, like heavy tints and cheap HIDs.

Rob

·
Registered
144 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Been looking at HID conversions kits and didn't know about the Projector. How come the CONVERSION KITS don't come with the projectors? if they were specifically designed to work with them.
Anyway i went and bought this 1 to try them out.

H7 Xenon HID HeadLight slim ballast Motorcycle MC 6000K on eBay (end time 20-Jul-11 08:52:18 BST)
Just so you know ... that only comes with 1 ballast and 1 bulb .. so it'll only work for your Low Beams. For the same price, there are a few companies out there that you could've gotten a whole kit. (Low and High)

All sellers say they are "Conversion" kits .. because technically, they are. You are converting your H7 Halogen bulb headlights to run H7 HID's. Conversion kits simply means they come with the ballast and bulb.

·
Registered
144 Posts
yes i knew it was just for 1 light. If i like it then i'll buy another for the high beam. For Just over £30 i though is was a good buy.
I've seen dual conversions but they was £100+

But can you buy the converstion kits with the projectors?

thanx for reply

Just so you know ... that only comes with 1 ballast and 1 bulb .. so it'll only work for your Low Beams. For the same price, there are a few companies out there that you could've gotten a whole kit. (Low and High)

All sellers say they are "Conversion" kits .. because technically, they are. You are converting your H7 Halogen bulb headlights to run H7 HID's. Conversion kits simply means they come with the ballast and bulb.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Yes .. companies out there do sell whole conversion kits with the projectors. However, they are A LOT more money because they are "proper" conversion kits.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Don't fit a single bulb HID high beam in conjunction with a single bulb low beam kit.

Because of the startup delay you get an unacceptable lag on selecting high beam.

Either use a bi-xenon unit where the bulb is on all the time and just switches between low and high, or keep the halogen high beam. If thelatter, make sure that low beam stays on when high beam's selected or you'll have a short period of darkness while switching.

Like I said, cheap means crap. E-bay non-projector stuff is crap. For the UK shops selling this sort of stuff can be fined by trading standards, which is why so much of it is sold on e-bay.

For PMK's interest, as he's in the UK, he's much more likely to be picked up by plod for an illegal conversion - especially a non-projector conversion, than he would be in the States, and almost guaranteed to fail an MOT if it's done by a competent mechanic.

MOT beam testing procedures are expected to be tightened up in the next couple of years as well.

For the record, for the EU, as well as a CE approved projector you must have a headlamp self levelling system (with lean compensation for bikes) and a lens washing system for HIDs. You can be quasi-legal by fitting OEM bi-xenon projectors from something like a Landrover - quite a good option - or be fully legal by fitting the BMW adaptive headlight.

Rob

·
Registered
76 Posts
Personally, I feel that if you need HIDs scattering light all over the road your night vision is such that you shouldn't really be operating any motor vehicle - or you just don't have the skills to operate within the range of your lights.

As for being seen in daylight, they're the wrong colour and less good than conventional halogens - and much poorer than a yellow or amber light.

Research outside of the people with an interest in taking your money off you and you might be surprised at what you find.

I agree with the comment about shops selling stuff that's well illegal. Why not torch the shop and hang the owners? That's what I'd really like to be able to do where the stuff being sold is actually dangerous, like heavy tints and cheap HIDs.

Rob
Luckily the 06-07 zx10's have projectors stock on the low beams...and HID lights are far superior to halogen lights, day or night. And you do get what you pay for...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts