Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HIDs in 03 636!

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  scootergmc 
#1 ·
weird, it didn't post what i had written, only the pictures. well, here is what i had in there originally:

---------------------------

my gf and i are the proud owners of 03 silver 636s. i was at work last night cleaning up when i got bored and decided to add a first mod to my bike.

after thinking about what i could do, i ended up doing a lighting upgrade because i had an h7 hid laying around. i have a small performance shop for cars and we do lots of hid retrofit to cars, especially european cars that use h1 and h7 bulbs.

i pulled the black plastic pieces off the driver's side of the bike to get to the headlight. i pulled off the headlight bulb cover, pulled the old bulb, and put the new one in. then hooked up the ballast and igniter, plugged in the power and found a body ground. then i just tucked everything away and went for a short ride.

what a huge difference it made! i was pretty sure the impact would be pretty dramatic as all my cars have hid retrofits as well. but here are the pictures. i'm sure you can tell which side is halogen and which side is hid.

this is a real hid kit, not just a colored halogen "hid-look" bulb. those are a lot cheaper, but are also worse than regular bulbs because the tinting traps a lot of the light as well as creates more heat within the bulb, shortening the life. and real hids only run at 35w, so no need to worry about melting things.

but if anyone is interested in a kit, send me an email or something. group buy maybe? one kit works on two bikes. :D

See less See more
#3 ·
my gf and i are the proud owners of 03 silver 636s. i was at work last night cleaning up when i got bored and decided to add a first mod to my bike.

after thinking about what i could do, i ended up doing a lighting upgrade because i had an h7 hid laying around. i have a small performance shop for cars and we do lots of hid retrofit to cars, especially european cars that use h1 and h7 bulbs.

i pulled the black plastic pieces off the driver's side of the bike to get to the headlight. i pulled off the headlight bulb cover, pulled the old bulb, and put the new one in. then hooked up the ballast and igniter, plugged in the power and found a body ground. then i just tucked everything away and went for a short ride.

what a huge difference it made! i was pretty sure the impact would be pretty dramatic as all my cars have hid retrofits as well. but here are the pictures. i'm sure you can tell which side is halogen and which side is hid.

**this is a real hid kit, not just a colored halogen "hid-look" bulb. those are a lot cheaper, but are also worse than regular bulbs because the tinting traps a lot of the light as well as creates more heat within the bulb, shortening the life. and real hids only run at 35w, so no need to worry about melting things.**

{img]http://www.eurospeedperformance.com/Products/Bikes/hid01.jpg[/img]

this is a comparison between halogens and hids. i took a pic with the hids, then went back inside and changed them back to halogens.

#6 ·
btw, the parent company of this brand is also the OE (original equipment) manufacturer for honda and nissan in japan. they use a GE (general electric) or osram (sylvania) bulb with panasonic ballasts. very high quality kit. 1 yr warranty on the parts, assuming no abuse.

well, depending on what kind of color you want, and if you want to outfit both high and lows, prices would start at $245 shipped for a low beam only conversion in a 4500k setup. 4500k is a bright white, i put 6000k in my bike. (reason price is more than 2x a normal kit is because i have to break it up and ship to two separate places.)

these kits normally start at $470+shipping for a regular 4500k automobile kit, which is enough to handle two low beam conversions in two bikes, assuming the bikes use a high on one side and low on the other. bikes that use dual filament bulbs like h4, would be slightly different depending on what the person wants.

but as far as for fellow kawi owners, if anyone is interested in kits, i will work with you guys. i've taken out all possible extra fees, applied a group discount already, and here is what i came up with:

single bulb 4500k low beam would be $230 shipped, full kit (two bulb kit) would be $445 shipped. single bulb 6000k low beam, $280 shipped, full kit, $550 shipped.

these would be for check/money order or paypal from checking account. cc's please add 3%.

email me if you have any questions: axc@ix.netcom.com or give me a call: 919.858.8852.

#7 ·
Thats actually very high pricing for a "group" discount.

These prices are for the 03 zx6r/rrs they have 2 H7 single filiment bulbs with same wattage bulb on both sides.

I found 6000k system for $250 +Free S/H for one bulb, double system for $500 Free shipping heres the website.
http://www.itsrealstuff.com/html/motorcycle_h_i_d_.html

Heres a 6000k 2 bulb system for $320.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36476&item=2414399856

Heres a
Heres an 8000k two bulb system for $400
http://www.xtremewhite.com/ORD-Light~bulbs-1-HID~Conversion~Kit-no-6854-1-1-1-1.cfm

Heres another 2 bulb 8000k system for $429
http://www.tuneshops.com/order-Light~bulbs-Heliolite-HID~Conversion~Kit-1-4849.htm

Heres another 2 bulb CATZ system (same exact system as the one your selling) but they are charging only $500 + Free S/H + NO extra 3% for using c.c's.
http://www.xtremewhite.com/ORD-Light~bulbs-1-HID~Conversion~Kit-no-7022-1-1-1-1.cfm

Most people are going to want the 6000kelvin units cause it has that cool blue/white color, not the 4500Ks. And On this board we like really good deals. Not prices more then what most other people sell the item for. You being a fellow zx6rer and all. Most other people on the forum would actually sell something they could get at cost. I know if I had a product I would let people on the forum have it at cost. This forum WILL help you out at some point. trust me. It has helped everyone out a great deal and theres so much information here about your new 03 636. But anyway, welcome to the board.

Thank God for Guardian Angels... Especially This One!

#8 ·
the vision kits are made in korea and are a lot lower in quality for the parts they use in their kits. we used to sell those kinds of kits, and trying to get product support is tough, even for me, and i am a vendor. this is especially true for warranty claims. you get what you pay for.

the ballasts may be philips/hella, but the bulbs are not, and the bulbs are the important/expensive part of the kit. replacement ballasts are maybe $100 each, replacement bulbs, $150-200 each.

as for 8000k kits, those also use cheap korean made bulbs. and 8000k is less visible than 6000k. the higher the kelvin rating, the less actual usable light is produced. 4500k is actually the brightest.

and catz kits are OE quality, meaning they have better quality control and use higher grade parts.

that catz link you post has shipping listed at $18, and $500 for the kit, which is a 4500k. $445+3% is $458, which is a lot less than $520.

so yes, i am giving a decent discount to fellow kawi owners, and so far, there isn't many people interested, because i could do better on price is there was actually a group, instead of me offering a small group buy price to single buyers.

as far as the ballasts, the panasonics the catz kit uses is more durable, more reliable, better/faster hot restrike (re-firing of the bulb once hot), surge protection, etc, etc. this is why lots of other hid dealers offer panasonic ballasts as an extra-cost option over the philips/hella units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.