Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at 24k miles on my '00. I had valves checked, carbs done, new clutch. Bike runs great.
Anything I should be looking out for? Trouble areas on high mile Ninjas?

· Registered
1,973 Posts
What is wrong with buying or having a bike with a lot of miles? A bike I'm looking at now has 20K on it, and everything has been replaced that is supposed to be at the mileage intervals. The guy has service records from every 2000 miles. The motor's not going to suddenly seize up one day when I hit 30K is it?

· Registered
202 Posts
I had a 89 ZX-7 and i didnt have to do anything till 40K, It STILL ran strong. i fugured out i had 2 valves mushrooming because the valve clearance keeped getting tight.I ened up rebuilding the hole moter,the inside was CHERRY.

My 98 ZX-6R has 20K and it rips,no problems at all

· Registered
3,725 Posts
"I had a 89 ZX-7 and i didnt have to do anything till 40K, It STILL ran strong. i fugured out i had 2 valves mushrooming because the valve clearance keeped getting tight.I ened up rebuilding the hole moter,the inside was CHERRY."

typical kawasaki motors...built like a tank...but they also sound like them too ;)

· Registered
1,005 Posts
I had 18,000 miles on my old 01 in a little over a year, ran like a champ. I think if you keep up on your oil changes and tune ups they will last 50+ thousand miles. I would rather have a high milage bike than was maintained than a low milage bike that wasnt.

· Registered
1,973 Posts
Originally posted by Squidly
40k? I have wondered about this myself, assuming its not wrecked, how many miles have people gotten out of sport bikes?
I always wondered the same thing. Or what the world record is for miles on a motorcycle? I've never seen a sportbike with more then 50,000 miles. I think they get crashed before they ever seize up.

· Registered
354 Posts
Sorry, I realize that this is a Kawasaki forum....

There was an article several years ago in Motorcyclist about a mid 90's CBR-900 that had 250,000 (1/4 million, not a typo) miles on it. The owner lived in LA and commuted 90 miles (1 way) to work each day. He also rode in the canyons regularly. He kept a maintenance record that was published in the magazine. All he did was normal maintenance to achieve that many miles, no major repairs or overhauls. That's probably a record for a sport bike (touring bikes have done more miles than that).

· Registered
3,725 Posts
there are F4i's (599cc) that have seen 100k miles....

so they all modern sportbikes should see atleast 75k miles if used for normal street riding...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.