Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I drove to work for the first time and there is a area posted 70MPH. Well today the winds were really bad and the bike was all over the road. Is there any tips you guys would have or will I just get used to this with expierence. The bike kept drifting to the right really bad. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
we have terrible wind here often you will get useto it i tend to end up riding down the road at a angle but still going straight

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I ride the NJ Turnpike here and when the wind kicks in by the airport it can be pretty bad. I just push up against the tank and squeeze it (the tank) with my legs. I have stomp grips on and that def helps. Also, I set my GPR v4 to 15 and that keeps the front very stiff and for me, stable. Man, there is nothing like a high wind when you near an 18 wheeler......the turbulance is unreal!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
lol but the average on longisland is 65-70 lol

·
Registered
522 Posts
Youll just get used to it after a while. The first few times I rode in windy conditions I had a death grip and was scared as hell. Grip more with your knees and just be ready to counter gusts and compensate. That being said youll still get blown around a fair ammount, but youll be more comfortable in handling it.

·
Banned
5,572 Posts
lol but the average on longisland is 65-70 lol
Exactly. I once talked to a State Trooper who told me if the speed limit is 55. I'll only pull you over if I get u at 80mph. LOL NICE COP!!

25 over the speed limit. Im sure he knows the speed limits are too low for such a flat...long...straight...island lol

·
Registered
182 Posts
I usually just squeeze my legs against the tank and lay down as far as I can get behind the windscreen that usually helps. If it don't help I stay in the left lane so I don't have to worry again blowing into either lane
+1 I just get low on the tank squeeze the legs and lean a little into the wind.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I hate high winds! I try to avoid the highway when at all possible if the wind is bad, but sometimes it's unavoidable. If you get stuck on the highway at high speeds in high wind, try to avoid traffic when possible. You'll find yourself drifting, but it's not nearly as bad (nor is the turbulence) when you're not around other cars/trucks.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
I'll usually stop riding at 30-40mph winds. I'm such a small guy that I routinely get pushed all over the lane, which is never fun.

I have to disagree with people saying that you should lean into the wind. I tried that the first time I got caught in bad wind...but it was the kind of wind that rapidly changed direction on you. So I'd be bracing one way and all of a sudden the wind would come from the opposite angle. That's a recipe for disaster....stay close to the middle of the bike and the middle of the lane. Be ready for drifting and if it gets bad - call it quits.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Exactly. I once talked to a State Trooper who told me if the speed limit is 55. I'll only pull you over if I get u at 80mph. LOL NICE COP!!

25 over the speed limit. Im sure he knows the speed limits are too low for such a flat...long...straight...island lol

Yeah but I swear all of LI is grooved pavement right now.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah over in Idaho we see some pretty crazy winds sometimes. Honestly what I really dislike is riding straight into the wind on the freeway. Feels like you're going twice as fast.

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Our interstate highway is 75 mph and we ALWAYS have wind, sometimes it's 30-40 mph with gusts 5-15 over that. You get used to the wind and I guess I don't actually think of it but I end up riding at an angle and am quick with the snap when I come up to passing trucks or overpasses.

·
Registered
261 Posts
LIE isnt grooved :D

somehow ive been getting away with cruising up and down the LIE every day to work huntington - southold. despite the sheriffs. just make sure to brake when everyone else does unless you can see that there are no cops.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts