Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, this is not for my ZX6R, it's for my EX500. I changed the oil today and overtightened the drain plug a little too much and it came loose. I pulled out the drain plug and there was metal carved right in between the threads so I damaged the thread in the oil pan. I tried using teflon tape but it is still dripping oil very very slowly. So, for now, I wrapped up the entire bolt and washer with teflon tape to stop the oil from leaking. Any advice?

·
Registered
363 Posts
You have to drain all the oil, then drill and tap the hole with new threads. You will have to use a larger thread size and larger bolt. Figure out what size the original is and then buy a tap the next size up. The tap will tell you what size drill bit to use. The hard part is going to be getting everything in a position to drill. You have to be pretty straight.
How the hell did you over tighten it? with an extension bar or something?
Buy yourself a torque wrench, it will pay for itself before you know it.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, I didn't tighten it with an extension bar, just with a socket wrench. I'm pretty strong dude! Anyway, I guess I'll do the whole drill thing with going up one size bigger. I bought a torque wrench immediately after, and while I was at it I adjusted my chain since I knew what I had to torque the rear axle nut to. Peace!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.