Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't taken it to the stealership yet, but my preliminary investigation says I need a new oil pan for my Ninja. I hit something in the road last night, didn't know what it was and didn't pay it much attention until I arrived at my destination. Well the gear shifter was slippery, and my shoes were wet, so I semi-panicked. Then on the way home, I stopped at the gas station, and the bike was still leaking, but this time I recognized the liquid as oil. So as I ride about 10 miles, the oil light came on. I pull over, pre-confirm it's the oil pan, put two quarts in just so I can make it to the house then make more decisions there on what to do.

Well I do make it home, and take off the lower fairing and confirm a crack in the oil pan. I found one on eBay and I found a lower fairing replacement, so the parts are less than $100 total, but has anyone replaced the oil pan before? It looks like it's gonna be a challenge. Is this something I should try, or does the stealership have a Merry Christmas this year? I have a 05 636.

·
AKA "White Dynamite"
3,935 Posts
The oil pan is a very easy job, you shouldnt have any trouble. ;)

I had to replace mine after having my bike for only two weeks. I bottomed the bike out because I pulled into my (at the time) storage building too fast, and it caught the head of the drain plug bolt and tore my pan open. :eek:

I'll find you the torque specs for the bolts in just a second................

·
AKA "White Dynamite"
3,935 Posts
Ok, they are roughly 7 ft-lb's (9.8 Newton Meters) so, in other words, just barely hand tight.

If you dont have any torque wrenches, just snug them up. You will be threading into aluminum, so do not over-tighten them. :thumbup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info mr. croom!

Ok, just made the call...they want:

$150 for the pan
$20 for the gasket
$150 for 2 hours of labor

Total with taxes added is about $350. Not as bad as I thought, but still, it's some dough.

Ordered a pan off eBay for $55 a few minutes ago, and a lower fairing I'm hoping to get for about $50. So for the price of the stealership I can do it myself, replace the fairing, do an oil change, and rent a car for a week and still have some money left over (I sound like a Ross commercial).

BUT I have 2 questions: should I reuse my oil pan gasket since it wasn't messed up, or buy a new one? And it looks like I will have to remove the exhaust/intake/header, how hard is this? I've never done this before, and it *looks* like there isn't enough clearance to remove the pan while leaving the exhaust header on.

·
AKA "White Dynamite"
3,935 Posts
The header will have to come off for sure, because the oil pump sits so low in the sump. Just unbolt your radiator from the bottom and push it towards the front of the bike. This should give you enough room to get to the header bolts. If it makes you uncomfortable having a wrench that close to your radiator while trying to take the header bolts out, just go ahead and drain the coolant and drop the radiator out of the bike. You can still put your old coolant back into your bike. A liitle extra work sure beats the hell outta having to buy another radiator just because your wrench slipped and hit the core of the radiator....................

As for the gasket, you most likely could reuse it, but as cheap as they are I went ahead and just replaced mine just in case. :dunno:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would also replace the gasket like stated they aren't a ton of money and it saves the headache of your old one being leaky and having to pull everything again.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
how's your crack? hey!

no seriously. is the crack bad? You could posibly take it to a shop and have it welded. Would probably run you less than a new one if the crack is not bad.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
ll
how's your crack? hey!

no seriously. is the crack bad? You could posibly take it to a shop and have it welded. Would probably run you less than a new one if the crack is not bad.
LOL now you tell me!

Well it would have been too late anyway because I ordered the oil pan already. Thank u guys for all your help, I indeed unbolted the radiator, removed the header and was able to replace it, and just used the same gasket. Of course sill me did check to see if the new drain bolt was tight, so I was stranded @ the gas station when it vibrated out and all that new oil went on the ground (good thing for full coverage insurance). So the bike was towed back to the house and I just need to get more oil for it.

My breakdown:

$55 - used oil pan off eBay
$45 - used lower left fairing off eBay
$9.61 - emergency oil to get me home the day of incident
$22.52 - oil and new oil filter
$28.08 - MORE oil after I didn't check tightness of drain bolt
$0.00 - cost to tow the motorcycle (insurance)
--------------------------------------
$160.21 - Grand total

All told I spent $100 on arts, not counting the oil & filter. Not bad, and I learned a few things in the process. Also, if you have AAA, they suck because you have to upgrade to their "RV" service if you want them to tow you. Of course I didn't know that until I called for help, and they were less than helpful. Also, when you get it you have to wait 3 days before it goes into effect.

Now I'm on to install the Power Commander!

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
I know guys that would just drop the pan, JB weld it, and reinstall. They probably wouldn't have a problem either. Personally I would have have TIG welded it and re-installed with some 1144 high temp silicone sealant.

Because of the nature of cast aluminums non-ferrous crystalline structure, it can crack in funny zig-zaging ways sometimes making it difficult to patch with a sealer, and hard to weld without the crack running on you from the heat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
holy shit.....

i just did this to my bike YESTERDAY

was coming off a curb and it hit my underside

i ripped a fat ass crack in my oil pan.

parts and labor were like $600 at shop.

so i had them order parts and oil $216

i will do labor myself and let you know how it goes......

fucking low kawis

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
holy shit.....

fucking low kawis
Um...yeah, fucking low anything when you hit a CURB.

·
Banned
5,572 Posts
holy shit.....

fucking low kawis

Oh yea, Kawi wanted to make the bike higher so once u hit 130 ull just take off....smart!

Stop hitting curbs and you wont break your oil pan or complain about the bike being low. :Laughing rolling::Laughing rolling:

I'm sure you can find a lift kit, if you want to do some off-roading on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i was goin baja in a dirt area outside of a parking lot. after i was done shredding i tried to transfer BACK INTO the parking lot. obiously i should have done a wheelie to transition back as to not have hit my pan...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts