Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've been riding my new 2012 Ninja 650 for almost a month now. Yesterday I do a good 30 miles ride about 15 miles each way. All of the sudden on the highway my bike slipped into neutral while up shifting. Then when I'm on local streets it happened again while down shifting. Happened once more after that for a total of three times.

I figured let me hit my foot on the shifter much harder, and so far it hasn't happened again. I'm still slightly worried though, as I've been shifting the same way since day one and only ran into this problem yesterday. Only other time I've been able to get to neutral was at a stop tapping up from first gear.

Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It happened twice above around 30mph from 3 gear and once on the highway around 55mph going from 4 gear.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
If you don't press/lift the shifter far enough you may hit a false neutral (the next gear you are shifting to doesn't fully engage, and you have to do it again). You just need to make sure you are fully positively shifting.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't press/lift the shifter far enough you may hit a false neutral (the next gear you are shifting to doesn't fully engage, and you have to do it again). You just need to make sure you are fully positively shifting.
I'd kind of figured that.

The main reason for my concern is .......

I had no idea about false neutral. I didn't think it was possible for the bike to go into neutral from any higher gear than first.

Also, it just started happening out of nowhere. Always shifted the same way before.

I'll try to duplicate this on my next ride to correct any error I was making. It is possible I got too comfortable.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would shift a little slower (ie hold the clutch a little longer to make sure you're in gear). I have had problems when I shift from 1st to 2nd where I took my hand off the clutch too soon before the gear engaged and it pops into neutral. You may be doing the same just catching in between higher gears.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would shift a little slower (ie hold the clutch a little longer to make sure you're in gear). I have had problems when I shift from 1st to 2nd where I took my hand off the clutch too soon before the gear engaged and it pops into neutral. You may be doing the same just catching in between higher gears.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

I'll try focusing on the clutch too on my next ride. I will admit I do clutch and let go quickly when shifting.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Sometimes I miss the 1-2 shift and get a 1-N instead. This is a little embarrassing to me, and I'm pretty sure it's because I don't move the shift lever hard/far enough. I haven't had that problem on downshifts. About a week ago I tried riding in trainers (I know, bad) instead of my usual steel toe combat/work boots. I couldn't upshift for crap. Lesson learned: Wear boots when riding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did that on my 2005 concours as well, into both the actual and false neutrals. You're just getting relaxed with the bike. The fix for me was to shift with a little, subtle, increasing firmness, so that I was not finished shifting on the exit from the previous gear, but rather on entry into the next gear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts