Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new footpeg on and the cage finally showed up in the mail. I had to drill out one hole in the cage and I wasn't very happy about that considering the price but I got it to work. After breaking 2 damn drill bits... on my living room rug lol.

Crappy 2:30 AM cell phone pics.

Its a Freestly Ingenuity cage btw and yes those are delron tips.

So Im standing there looking at it than it hits me.. "oh shit that going to make changing the oil really hard". That cage is not easy to install and the rod through the swingarm had lock tight on it (your supposed to use it there) so I'm going to have to devise a way to swap the filter and drain the oil with the faring loose but not off now.

Is this why I always see holes cut out of the bottom on the fairing below the drain plug on stunt bikes?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Is this why I always see holes cut out of the bottom on the fairing below the drain plug on stunt bikes?
typically i see stock lowers with the holes for oil draining already cut, on my 2006 zx6r i have a spot to remove the oil drain bolt w/o removing my lowers

here is a stock 07/08 lower, there is barely anything in the way of removing the oil drain plug...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm my bike doesn't have an "access hole. Might just have to remove all the bottom connectors and wedge a block of wood in there or some shit.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
weebs i would suggest, you can disconnect your left lower fairing from the mounting points (you won't be able to completely remove the fairing, but you can move it around at this point to access your oil filter- behind your radiator.
this will save ya some time/effort compared to removing the entire cage, then the fairings

after looking at your pictures- does the first gen 636 have uppers & lowers? or are the side fairings 1 solid piece?

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fairings are one solid piece.

I should be able to loosen or remove all the bolts except for the top three near the headlights and get my hands in there enough to get the job done. The hard part will be breaking the filter loose.

I do see that I can remove the drain plug with a socket wrench and extension but quess what the bar goes under : /

I should be able to get at it but I have a feeling the oil with hit the bar and go all over the place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts