Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i happen to grab this ballast off a 05' Infinity QX56, cuz the guy had broken his outer glass headlight. and since the new headlight came with a ballast, i took the old one off the old headlight before i threw it away.

so i think.. eh.. possibility this might work..
so i grabbed and extra HID bulb ( retail from infinity is 120$ per bulb!!! yikes) from my secret stash of extra bulbs.. and take it home to my awaiting 636.

after taking the headlight completely off the bike, i found out just how easy it is to install a universal HID bulb ballast voltage pack ( which is the the small triangle looking thing that holds the bulb in.

first things first.

the H7 holes are the exact same size as the bulb holder.
i first put it in the Highbeam because of the lowbeams cover plate being too shallow you could not get the HID bulb in.

next i took the bulb holder ( the little silver piece that clips into place behind the H7 bulb on your headlight) and connected both togeather to make one big holder, then used it to strap the new HID regulator to the head light. at this point i was able to turn it on and it worked!!!!!, BUT after 10mins on the highway i got pulled over and told the bulb was bright.. well the cop said " you looked like a damn airplane was landing behind me!" so i went back home and figured out a way for it to work in my low beam.

steps to make this work

step1) get a Ballast from anywhere..junkyard,dealership,ebay ect.

step2) take off your headlight

step3) remove lowbeam cover plate, and carefully remove it through the H7 hole ( it can be done, just very slowly)

step4) find the H7 harness.. Blue is 12v. and Black is Ground

step5) connect Ballast to H7 Harness or lowbeam output

step6) secure ballast to side fairing using twist ties, make sure the ballast has ariflow around it, as the ballast will get Very Hot

step7) secure HID bulb in housing using both light holders ( you will have to go buy an extra one from kawi which is about 3$)

step8) turn bike on and watch people drool

i would have good pics, but its night time, and when i try to take a pic it just looks like a super nova but heres a sample.

any questions

and its a 11k bulb so its violet white

·
Registered
734 Posts
Would be nice to see pics of each step. If people decide to do this, using your plans they should photograph every step. Well done though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i will, its just i did it with haste so it doesnt look exactly professinal, but since its the weekend ill be able to clean it up and make some better pics, during the day.

but it gives you the basic idea that making the HID work costs next to nothing

·
Registered
197 Posts
i took my bulb and ballast from the lexus rx330 and took the the low beam cover off instead of putting it in the high beam and it it blinding

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I put HIDs in my bike about 2 months ago. That has to been the besp mod I have ever done.

·
Registered
148 Posts
[:TTIWWOP]

·
Registered
361 Posts
I picked up a kit on ebay for $200. Drilled a few holes in the black plastic covers that are under the handle bars and hung the ballasts under there. After that it was just a matter of connecting wires for the most part. And yes, best mod I've done too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.