Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to spend any money on a camera mount, since I would only use it occasionally. So I made one from some 1/4" copper pipe and fittings that I had laying around.

I used one 1/4" T, 2" of 1/4" straight pipe, and one 1/4" end cap. I then cut the bottom portion of the T in half. Soldered the pipe to the T and then the end cap to the pipe. I drilled a hole through the end. Installed a bolt and a rubber washer. I spray painted everything gloss black. Attached some weatherstripping foam to the T halves. I wrapped the fairing stay with some sticky tape to protect it and to prevent the mount from ever moving. I then attached the mount via some small hose clamps. Here is what the finnished product looks like.

Here is a Test Run with a small Kodak EasyShare Camera mounted to it. Nothing special about the slow easy ride, as I was checking out how it worked. Video was taken via Quicktime format. Clarity and smoothness lost due to conversion and compression. I'm really happy about how it turned out and it cost me nothing.

[attached]

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Great idea. Maybe you should sell them??

--David

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Watched the video.....all I can say is, "Holy shit!! A tachometer that I can read!!" I hate the 2003 and newer tachs.

--David

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.

02 z_x_6_r, I forgot that you visit up here from your place in Vegas. You probably would have missed me, as I do alot of fly-fishing trips in the summer to the Snowy Range and the North Platte river. Plus, I get out of town during Frontier Days.

The cap is a standard 1/4" copper tube cap used in plumbing. It is soldered to the short section of 1/4" copper tubing.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CORRECTION: For some reason I had 1/4" stuck in my head from a measurement I made. All of the copper fittings and tubing are 1/2".

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Good engineering, but modern bikes have sculpted fairing stays that are all puny and light weight. My fairing stay (03/04 636) is actually mostly behind the gauge, and then it archs over the gauge to hold the very top of the upper and mirrors together.

As for the gauges, dwillits, I've -never- had a problem with the guages on my bike. I love that they're digital. It's much more accurate and has much less lag/delay. A lot easier to match revs and such, and I've never had a problem reading it. A normal analog tach is so laggy that it's almost useless for precise stuff. I'd rather have a just set of sequential shift lights than an analog tach.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by bobcat
Very nice setup. Nice video too. From the Targa guy.
I know who you really are. :D

I sent you a PM, but I forgot that you can't get PM's because you don't have enough posts in here yet.

I emailed you a better video clip.

·
Registered
310 Posts
does that have any vibration problems on the camera?...i would be concerned about shear in the bolt holding the camera

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The rubber washer seems to help with some of the vibrations. The camera I use is very small and light, so the bolt shearing shouldn't be an issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.