Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to make my own Fender Eliminator (Plate bracket and light) using existing parts and some sheet metal I found at work off of a gas tank heat shield. What do you guys think? Tail is still apart as I am going to add the Clear Alternatives Integrated tail light for the signals.
ORGINAL SHEET METAL-

CUT AND BENT- MARKED FOR DRILLING HOLES

MONUTED UNDER TAIL- (NOTE ORIGINAL TAIL LIGHT HANGING TO LEFT)

MOUNTED ORGINAL LICENSE PLATE LIGHT ON LEFT SIDE FACING ACROSS PLATE

NIGHT SHOT WITH LIGHT ON PLATE

Sorry for pic quality- They were all taken from my cell phone. I will post again when I get the Rear Tail Light installed and it is all cleaned up.

Just thought I would get some feedback...
FireAway!

-Patrick

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Looks good so far, for free.. don't really like the way you did the plate light though

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as I can remember- You cant get through there to mount it... I did look at all locations. Plus wiring for original ran down the left side. You can hardly tell the light is there. From the left side you only see the back side of the light housing (all black)- My pics may be bad. I figured if it didnt look good when Im done I can always run an aftermarket light to the top oof the plate- I dont think it would be as clean though....

Keep it coming- I love the ideas and feedback.

-Patrick

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
It looks like your tire will hit the plate. I had mine like that and it did. I thought I would be ok because I had at least 4" of clearnce but it still hit the tire so just be careful. You might want to mount it flat up against the body. It does look good though.[:M10]

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with you. It looks like clearance is ok- But the beauty of the bracket is I can bend it up or down to add more room. Metal is strong enough to hold position and should the tire hit it- The plate should just move accordingly. Hey- Maybe thats how I find the perfect position for it LOL...

-Patrick

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Mine bent the shit out of my plate but the bracket was carbon fiber. I would change the mount 90 degres so the plate lays out of the way of the tire.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found a gas tank in our parts yard at the Dealership I work at and took the heat shield metal from a gas tank and used it. I thought it would be pretty sturdy and resist the heat near the engine and the exhaust.

-Patrick

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are you guys doing to clean up the welded bracket that is left after the removal. Taking a die grinder to the weld and removing it? Thats all I can think of and then maybe spraying it High temp Flat black to match.

Ideas/Experiences?

-P

·
Registered
182 Posts
Originally posted by PSTEWART
Decided to make my own Fender Eliminator (Plate bracket and light) using existing parts and some sheet metal I found at work off of a gas tank heat shield. What do you guys think? Tail is still apart as I am going to add the Clear Alternatives Integrated tail light for the signals.
ORGINAL SHEET METAL-

CUT AND BENT- MARKED FOR DRILLING HOLES

MONUTED UNDER TAIL- (NOTE ORIGINAL TAIL LIGHT HANGING TO LEFT)

MOUNTED ORGINAL LICENSE PLATE LIGHT ON LEFT SIDE FACING ACROSS PLATE

NIGHT SHOT WITH LIGHT ON PLATE

Sorry for pic quality- They were all taken from my cell phone. I will post again when I get the Rear Tail Light installed and it is all cleaned up.

Just thought I would get some feedback...
FireAway!

-Patrick
Here is the bracket and light for my plate.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
good idea. i just mounted my tag directly onto those two bolts that everyone else seems to mount stuff too. i've never been pulled over for it. i dont have a light either. i should probably do something, though...i know i'm gonna get pulled over eventually

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
put lights on cops love to mess with bikes down here in FL without lights u can but a led down there will look koo in a color that matches ur bike

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AUS636- I like what you did. Gave me some ideas. I have to ask though- your rear blinkers... are they the ones that clear alternatives sells as flush mount replacements?

-Patrick

·
Registered
182 Posts
Originally posted by PSTEWART
AUS636- I like what you did. Gave me some ideas. I have to ask though- your rear blinkers... are they the ones that clear alternatives sells as flush mount replacements?

-Patrick
They are off a BMW 325 you can get them from LIGHTLENS.COM but remeber not easy to install need a steady hand.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i just used the stock plate bracket... removed the 2 bolts holding on the metal beacket to the plastic. drilled 2 holes and remounted with the same hardware. mine was free too... just took a little less work. ill try to get some closer pics tommrow.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.