Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again.. i posted a few weeks back about a bike that i'm looking at that has been sitting for 2 years. well i'm going over there tomorow (hopefuly, he's a busy guy) to see it and make an offer.

I've noted all the points ya'll have made, and honestly, i'm now a little weary about the bike in general. Sounds like there could be ALOT of issues that arise from a bike sitting:

Rust inside of tank from not draining gasoline.
Tires getting "soft spots" from not sitting on same spot.
Shock bushings needing replacement from drieing out.
Engine seals possibly needing replacement.
Oil becoming corrosive and etching from the inside out.
and some other stuff i'm forgetting... all of which add up to ALOT

basically, i'm now worried that i'm going to spend a fortune to get her all ready for riding...

the bike only has like 500 miles on it - 2003 636 - black - average blue book of NADA and Kellys is like $5300 - he told me he would sell it to me at that average if i paid for towing and all maintaince...

what do you guys think is a good price? be reasonable - also take into account he's my boss...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Shitty deal.

If it needs all that work, forget it for $5300.

Very low mileage is not always a good thing! It just means it's been sitting most of it's life.

Offer like $4000 max, cause if you have to replace the tank or something... (Carbon tank :D)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if it needs all that work - that's just what people on this site have chimed in about...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Take an exp. rider with you, and look it over together. Look at EVERYTHING, 2 0r 3 times. And then decide. 4 eyes are better than 2! 5K shouldn't be out the question if it needs a little work, since it is basically a new bike. Good luck.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
plan on buying tires, i'd take the tank off and clean it out with fresh gas. you can put fuel in it and unhook the fuel line going to the engine and turn the switch on and off a few times and it will pump fresh fuel thru the the pump. shoot some wd40 or something on the shock and fork seals and chain. change oil and filter. prolly brake fluid too. GO RIDE IT. $4500-$4900
about $300 out of your pocket for tires and fluids then a days time. also ask if he's willing to help with any surprises that may arise with in maybe the first 30 days.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I just bought it for $5000 - I know he drove it quite calmly so i'm hoping it just needs some light maintance. Does anyone know how to get around having to pay Cali State Tax when i change title? I totally forgot about that... ugh that's another 400 bucks i didn't account for....

·
Registered
590 Posts
Originally posted by ben8jam
Well I just bought it for $5000 - I know he drove it quite calmly so i'm hoping it just needs some light maintance. Does anyone know how to get around having to pay Cali State Tax when i change title? I totally forgot about that... ugh that's another 400 bucks i didn't account for....
Get a bill of sale form from the dmv and have it notorized and signed by both parties just say you only paid like 500 bucks like i did....Fuck taxes!!!!Buy some mods!!!:D

·
Registered
949 Posts
Originally posted by jimmydasnake

Get a bill of sale form from the dmv and have it notorized and signed by both parties just say you only paid like 500 bucks like i did....Fuck taxes!!!!Buy some mods!!!:D
[:+1]

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I asked about that and he said he doesn't think it's legal and he has to ask his accountant about it... so looks like i'm stuck with the frickn taxes.. arg

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Of course it’s not legal. It’s call tax evasion. Most seller/buyers do it anyways. They usually don’t have a problem doing it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
as long as its more that $500 than the gov dosent even look at it especially on a bike. every car, bike, truck i have ever bought, or sold, i have never put the actual selling price. like jimmydasnake said, fk taxes, buy mods!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya, don't think he'll be doing that - oh well...

frickn' tow guy wants 100 bucks to tow it less then 5 miles to the shop... arg

allready at 500 bucks in crap and it hasn't even been looked at by the mechanic yet...! so much for buying gear...

·
Registered
349 Posts
instead of having it towed, go rent a uhaul pickup and buy some $30 straps and a canyon dancer. Take some friends and you save $50.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Originally posted by ben8jam
I am not going to rag on you for the price you paid, but it is a four year old bike that is not running...now you have to pay sales tax...if you went to dmv and said that you paid half that they would accept it without blinking an eye...why doe it have to be notarized..I think a signed bill of sale is enough...DMV has a standard form you use...

has it been licensed in the last two years? if not be prepared to pay for the years it was not and penalties..unless he paid the fees or filed a non op and paid that fee....by the time you are done with tires fees and taxes you are going to be into it for a lot..:(

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i know the price wasn't the greatest in the world - but i do know the guy well, and he took very good care of it - yeh, i have to pay to get it fixed up (should still saying $230, we'll see if that's real or not), i just wanted it too bad i guess :) anyway, it's not THAT much more - atleast i get to know it's never been down and has been babied -

as for registration, yes, the registration is up to date -

paying taxes - i have a moral dilema - he gave me the title and said to just fill it out - but to make sure i included the correct price - i technically could write in whatever i want, but if it somehow got back to him i would lose a friend and employeer - he is the kinda guy that is highly scrutinized by the IRS, so i'd rather not place him in jeapordy - i have my appt with DMV tomorrow to change title, and i guess i'm just gonna have to pay out the 400 bucks in tax - which really f-ing sux...

oh well...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.