Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The horn on my 1996 ZX6R F2 hasn't worked since I bought the bike a year ago and now that I'm selling it I need to get it fixed before it will pass a roadworthy inspection.

I think the previous owner disconnected the horn wiring so he could use the horn button to switch on some blue lightbulbs that I found mounted, but disconnected, behind the air intake grilles.

As you can see in the first image below, there are 2 pairs of red and black connectors on the wiring. I think the second pair have been added on so as to connect the 2 blue lightbulbs, but as I haven't seen what these wires are supposed to look like straight from the factory, I can't say for certain.

I've tried every combination of just connecting a pair of the four wiring connectors back up to the horn connectors, and if you connect 2 reds or 2 blacks, the horn doesn't work, and if you connect either of the red with either of the blacks, the horn sounds continously without even pressing the horn button.

I've looked in both my Kawasaki factory workshop manual and my Haynes manual and neither have much detail on horn wiring, and the wiring diagrams aren't clear either - they just show that there should be a brown and white wire going from the horn to the junction/fuse box, and a black and white wire going to the horn switch.

If anyone can offer some advice or suggestions on how to get the horn working again, or feels like taking the nose fairing off their ZX6R to photograph their horn wiring, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm taking it in for a roadworthy tomorrow hopefully.

Please click the thumbnails below to see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've tried every combination of just connecting a pair of the four wiring connectors back up to the horn connectors, and if you connect 2 reds or 2 blacks, the horn doesn't work, and if you connect either of the red with either of the blacks, the horn sounds continously without even pressing the horn button.
STEP AWAY FROM THE WIRING! Connecting wires all willy nilly will just end up frying fuses. Did you take a multi-meter to all combinations of wiring to see if the voltage changed when you hit the horn button? Don't have an F model, have a J so I can't help much since the wiring probably differed between 96 and 01.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts