Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

horsepower loss due to altitude

4K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Andy_7676 
#1 ·
does anyone know how much horsepower you lose as you gain elevation? Ive heard that it is around 3% for every 1000 feet of elevation gain. I live at close 9000 feet and that would make for a 23-27 horse loss. What is the tech guys take on this?

#2 ·
I think 3% per 1000 sounds bout right. My gps says I live at 5100ft, where I go to college an hour away the gps says is 400ft. (its pretty accurate, i compared it to a topo map) I definitely notice the difference, except the power seems similar when, its really hot, like 106 where I go to school and then if i ride home at night and its only like mid 60s where I live, the cool dense air evens it out a little.

#3 ·
i took a visit to the adirondachs in upstate ny, trailered the bike. i live normally in VA beach. well the altitude made alot of difference, usually here in va i just clutch second a little bit and she comes up or right around 9000 in first just roll on alittle and wheelie away, but up there i tried and all the front wheel did was skip the ground alittle, i had to use a quite a bit more throttle to get her up, and I believe the adirondachs is onlt right around 1000ft were is I am normally at sea level. also alot of humidity and about 85-90 degrees were in the mountains, were very little humidity and about 75-80 degrees, and still notoced a difference.

#4 ·
as you probably know the denser teh air going into your engine the more power you make. I don't know if fuel injected bikes have mass air flow sensors or whatever but with fi on a car the more air you put in the computer tells it to put in more fuel to keep the mixture from going lean or rich and more air/fuel=more power.

#5 ·
Originally posted by ake leach

Ive heard that it is around 3% for every 1000 feet of elevation gain.
That's about what I've heard. When I get a pipe I'm going to get a dyno in Denver. That's about '5000 compared to my house at '8300, but at least I'll have some kind of idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.