Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During hot weather (90 degrees plus), do you guys still wear protective gear?

I live in Southern California and the weather here right now is very hot. I was just wondering if you guys still wear protective gear?

I have seen a lot of people out here riding in shorts and just a t-shirt sometimes and just helmet and gloves. On the other hand, I have all my protective gear on, roasting (not so much on the highway).

I commute to work on the freeway about 40 miles round trip. I wear my leather jacket because its getting a little cooler in the mornings, but it gets real hot in the evening when I get out of work.

I just wanted to know your guys thoughts on this.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I live in S.W. Florida. 95 degrees and 90 percent humidity. I wear a perf leather jacket, Draggin' Jeans and Joe Rocket boots. If it's too hot to wear gear, it's too hot to ride.

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
During hot weather (90 degrees plus), do you guys still wear protective gear?

I live in Southern California and the weather here right now is very hot. I was just wondering if you guys still wear protective gear?

I have seen a lot of people out here riding in shorts and just a t-shirt sometimes and just helmet and gloves. On the other hand, I have all my protective gear on, roasting (not so much on the highway).

I commute to work on the freeway about 40 miles round trip. I wear my leather jacket because its getting a little cooler in the mornings, but it gets real hot in the evening when I get out of work.

I just wanted to know your guys thoughts on this.
I'm in socal too.

If it's too hot to wear gear, I won't ride.

I don't know about your gear but my jacket, pants, and helmet vent extremely well.

So far I haven't found a day where it was too hot...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, my gear is well vented too, but you can still feel the heat on the street. I commute to work on my bike so its cool/chilli in the morning, but warms up in the afternoon.

Well I will just stay well protected no matter what weather I am in. I rather sweat than bleed!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I too am in SoCal (Oceanside). As far as the jacket is concerned, I just did something about handling the warm days. I regularly wear a Cortech Textile jacket (yes, it's black), and that thing gets HOT sometimes. Just today I received my Joe Rocket Mesh 5.0 jacket to wear on those extra warm days. After seeing the Mesh jacket and trying it on, I'd have to say that the level of protection is WAY sacrificed. I mean, the jacket and the protection just seems kinda flimsy.

I suppose that's okay though, as I plan on buying a high end Dainese chest/back protector very soon that will go under both jackets, and that would probably be way less bulky under the mesh jacket than under the textile. Regardless though, if I do long trips with higher speeds involved, I'd probably wear the textile and deal with the sweat.

I'm sure when I buy a leather jacket (It's likely gonna have to be custom and expensive since I wear a Medium Tall (or 42 extra long)), I'll probably wear it all the time and never pull the other two out of my closet, regardless of temperature.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Perhaps buy some better venting gear?

I ride my bike when the temp is in 90s to currently where it is 40 to 50 in early AM and late PM.

You need to make sure to remain hydrated too. It would also help to not have black gear, since black absorbs more heat than white.

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
Yes, my gear is well vented too, but you can still feel the heat on the street. I commute to work on my bike so its cool/chilli in the morning, but warms up in the afternoon.

Well I will just stay well protected no matter what weather I am in. I rather sweat than bleed!!
I don't know what to tell you... As long as I'm moving at at least 35mph, I'm cool enough. Even in the afternoon heat.

·
Registered
679 Posts
BTW OP some advice, I change my shirt to one of those moisture wicking tshirts and it makes a works of a difference. Keeps me cooler and less icky than wearing a regular Tshirt under the jacket. FWIW I also have on a chest and back protector, along with overpants and jeans. As long as I am moving, it is ok and not too hot.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I too am in SoCal (Oceanside). As far as the jacket is concerned, I just did something about handling the warm days. I regularly wear a Cortech Textile jacket (yes, it's black), and that thing gets HOT sometimes. Just today I received my Joe Rocket Mesh 5.0 jacket to wear on those extra warm days. After seeing the Mesh jacket and trying it on, I'd have to say that the level of protection is WAY sacrificed. I mean, the jacket and the protection just seems kinda flimsy.

I suppose that's okay though, as I plan on buying a high end Dainese chest/back protector very soon that will go under both jackets, and that would probably be way less bulky under the mesh jacket than under the textile. Regardless though, if I do long trips with higher speeds involved, I'd probably wear the textile and deal with the sweat.

I'm sure when I buy a leather jacket (It's likely gonna have to be custom and expensive since I wear a Medium Tall (or 42 extra long)), I'll probably wear it all the time and never pull the other two out of my closet, regardless of temperature.

I rock the leather in summer and winter with no problems. It sucks my vents are on the shoulders and I wear a backpack, so it covers them :/. I have the A*s Spinner jacket.

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
I rock the leather in summer and winter with no problems. It sucks my vents are on the shoulders and I wear a backpack, so it covers them :/. I have the A*s Spinner jacket.
That's one thing I did notice. My vents are on the shoulders and lower sides of the jacket. With a backpack on, the wind flow was almost non-existant and I heat up more. But other than that, it's like having AC.

My leather jacket and pants are black too. Maybe you guys that can't take the heat are just girly men. :D

·
Registered
4,112 Posts

Removable liners FTW!

My, pants and jacket have removable liners for the colder mornings. Then I take 'em out and put 'em in my pack in the afternoon...EZ

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
My daily commute consists of a 60 mile round trip in the blazing Phoenix heat. I don't have a car so I HAVE TO ride to work. I bought an evaporative cooling vest which works very well under my mesh jacket but I've only used it once to commute. I use it on the weekends when I go desert riding but in the mornings I just sport regular clothes under my mesh gear and then change to my work clothes once I arrive at work. Anti monkey butt works like a charm too.

After work I could give a damn about sweating. I just get home and jump in the pool :)

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Like Dos, I live in the Phoenix area...I just wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 mesh jacket (no cooling vest) and it's not bad at all. Truth be told, my feet get the hottest most of the time! Another rider at work has one of those wet it, freeze it , wear it vests and loves it, I just didn't want to add to the bulk I carry (jacket, full backpack).

When we going riding Cyberdos? I lost the PM with your number, resend plz k thx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts