Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read it can be pretty rought on the bike to try to hotwire it? is this true? i lost the one key i had to my 2003 ninja 500 and i just wanna get it cranked to drive it to the locksmith to make a new one (i don't own a truck). also if it isn't harmful, any advice on how to do it?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Good luck getting info on how to do this. No one will post what would essentially be a "How to steal a bike".

If you have the small tag that came with the bike's keys on purchase the dealer can get a new key for you. If not, buy a buddy a 6-pack and have him/her drop your bike off at the locksmith.

·
Registered
297 Posts
In addition to the above: Key Replacement - EX-500.com

Good luck.

Oh, and I expect a short essay answering "What I learned when I lost my key" okay?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The worst thing you can do is touch the wrong wires together and blow a fuse. Even if you get the ignition on and it cranks, most bikes won't start by 'hot wiring'. The barrel needs separating from the 'cap' below it hence the saying 'snap & cap'. Good luck

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
just pull the top clamp off , unplug the ignition switch and bring it to a locksmith.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts