Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a ride this morning. The sun was shining but it was damn cold. I kept her 3 minutes running with the choke before riding away. During the ride I kept her up to about 6000 rpm for about 8 km's till it felt a bit more comfortable with the throttle and the tires. Then the standard riding with full throttle.:D

How do you warm up your bikes? Is it just running in front of the garage for a few minutes more or riding conservative for some time[?]

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I only let it idle long enough to put on my helmet,usually a minute or so and then ride off with partial choke. Choke comes off gradually, usually a few blocks. I keep the rpm below 4,000 until the temp comes up to normal, usually about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I let it idle until temp hits 40-50 C, then ride away. I avoid high rpm's during the first kilometers / until temp hits 60 C...

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Do you have to leave the choke on for that long? I thought just as you start up the bike and then after a couple seconds you can let it off. I used to let mine hit 110 or 125 before I rode away, and even then I'd never rev it until it got up around 160.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I let it warm up to 133 myself. Don't know how long that is...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I too warm it to about 120. But before any hard riding make sure your tires are warm. Get some warmers.....or ride for a while to make sure they are still cold. A cold tire and cold road equals and unhappy experience.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
I start her out with 3/4 choke and let her run until the rpms start getting up to about 3-4k by itself. then let off choke and ride off. That's in the cold temps. So basically she tells me when she's good and ready;)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
i never ride with the choke on if I can help it...I heard this might be bad for the bike but never got any facts...does anyone know why it would be bad to ride the bike with the choke on?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I pull the choke all the way back when I start it and let it go like that for about 8-10 seconds, then I start gradually bringing it back down so that it stays at 1800-2000 rpm. I ride off when it hits 145 and I ride really easy for about 10-15 minutes.

·
Registered
493 Posts
wow am i the only person who doesnt start thier bike with the choke on i park in agarage and it's never cold so i really don think its neccasary[?]

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah. In summer it was no problem run it with no choke, put helmet on and she was ready to go.
But nowadays unless I let her run in choke for 3-5 minutes it dies instanly after turning choke off. Actually it looks really funny running it in choke. When she's still cold it begins to make a huge white cloud of smoke. Haha!:D
I normally wait till the throttle responds fine, and ride away conservative for a while now.
Tires are another story. Needs about 5 km's at least to build a moderate grip. Does anyone think I should maybe put more or less pressure to get them warm up quicker?

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
It only takes you 5 seconds for it to run by itslef?
When it's cold out it takes me about 2 minuted before I can let the choke in.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by MichiganWheelie
i only keep my choke on until it runs by itself(about 5 seconds), then let it warm up until its about 130F before i ride...
Yeah, but I think the fuel injection also makes a bit difference, eh? With carbs and about 0*C ambient temperature it needs some time to keep running by itself.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.