Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how the bike runs. I just installed a devil SB2 slip on and when every I go over a bump, my bike has a BIG hesitation. Just like as if I were to close the throttle and open it again very quickly. The exhaust could not have had that big of an impact, could it? Then I think it could be the cold weather. It has been in the 40's when I took her out twice. Maybe a combintation of the weather and the slip on. This is my first bike so I do not have any experience with this. Could the carbs be a little dirty? It has only been in storage for a few months. Its an 02 ZX-6R if that helps.

·
Registered
315 Posts
if it only happens whenever you hit a bump then maybe its shaking an electrical connection loose.yesterday i was riding along and the rpm guage started going crazy on my 02, then it died. i shook the cable going into the black box and reseated it: problem gone. Check the connections everywhere.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by josh1095_1

if it only happens whenever you hit a bump then maybe its shaking an electrical connection loose.yesterday i was riding along and the rpm guage started going crazy on my 02, then it died. i shook the cable going into the black box and reseated it: problem gone. Check the connections everywhere.
Will do. Anyone else have suggestions?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Mine runs stronger as it gets colder, but only down to about 45 degrees. From there it gets some rough spots.

I also had a major flat spot after installing my Yosh bolt-on. Had the carbs adjusted (no jet kit) and they got it smoothed out nicely.

So, you probably want to take it in and have the carbs adjusted for the can & cold weather.

----------------------
Dave Lee
Red '02
Open Throttle Sport Riders

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
All the more recent bikes I've owned seem to get a bigger boost from ram air in the cold. The Suzuki particularly ran MUCH better when there was a bit of a chill happening... high rpm boost was fun with that bike (maybe because there was no midrange...)

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I took mine to the shop 2 weeks ago. They cleaned the carbs and adjusted them and checked everything else out. It ran fine on the way home. I'm in Michigan, but it was prolly 45 or so that day. I started her up last weekend and went to ride it a little bit and there was hesitation everytime I nailed the gas. It was only like 25 degrees, so I think that'd the problem. Find out this weekend I guess... Good Luck!
Jeremy

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Originally posted by dav

Mine runs stronger as it gets colder, but only down to about 45 degrees. From there it gets some rough spots.

I also had a major flat spot after installing my Yosh bolt-on. Had the carbs adjusted (no jet kit) and they got it smoothed out nicely.
Dave, how happy are you with the carb adj? Did you loose any of the "untamed power" the Yosh gave you, or was it still there (better than stock) but just smoother?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Josh was right. I guess when I disconnected the battery to do the signal integrator I did not connect the battery cables tight enough or tight at all. After the alarm install the problem went away. Thanks for all the help guys:)

Hell was full...so I came back
Friends don't let friends drive Hondas

·
Registered
284 Posts
Cool, good call, Josh.

Grunt: I'm super happy with the results. If I did lose any peak power anywhere (and I'm not sure I did), it was worth it for the smoothness. The dead spots were really distracting. But it still is sensitive to the weather, like I said. It works best closer to the temperature at which it was tuned.

----------------------
Dave Lee
Red '02
Open Throttle Sport Riders

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by dav

Had the carbs adjusted (no jet kit) and they got it smoothed out nicely.
What did you do, shim the needles?

I would not mind smoothing out the rev band.

Hell was full...so I came back
Friends don't let friends drive Hondas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.