Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're talking 2001 ZX6R California emissions here....

I'm having trouble buying a slip on to fit my bike. Cyberdos sold me a 2Bros that wouldn't slip on more than half way, and I bought something else off a guy that wouldn't slip on at all.

When you unbolt your stock exhaust and take it off, there is a midpipe there that was inside the stock exhaust. It's about 3.25inches long, and the whole thing is the same circumference. At the base of it is the flange that the slip on bolts to.

Is this different on the CA emissions than any other bike, or do they all look the same. The whole thing is, I don't know, the size of a soda can. Look at this link, http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/400_0472/muffler_s/muffler_s.cfm?man=ka&groupid=13360&parent=12990 and I'm talking about the mid-pipe which is just to the left of your gasket (part 11060A). Is everyone else's look just like that??? Why the hell won't this pipe fit my damn bike!!!!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does bolt on. The bolts are what holds it on. But it still slips over the midpipe. Did you check that link? I'm trying to find out if there's a difference between my midpipe and everyone elses. There's obviously a difference between mine and an 02, cause Cyber's pipe wouldn't fit my bike. My midpipe is bigger than his. Haha. [:p]

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
I forgot to mention that you have to take a saw to the tip of your pipe to fit the slip-on. THIS IS A NORMAL PROCEDURE so do not be alarmed by it. When I got the pipe new, it gave instructions as to how to cut it. Ask anyone that has bought a 2-bros for their 98-02's and they'll agree.

All you have to do is cut about 1.5 inches off of that 3.25 tip you have on that stock pipe. Once that's done it will fit like a glove. It took me about 10 minutes to do it.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like a hacksaw??? Well I have a circular saw, but that won't fit around the back side. Hmm, what about a Dremel??? Wonder if that would do it? Is the metal hard or will a hacksaw do it?

That sucks ass, why doesn't 2Bros just make them to fit right??? They f'n things should all be the same size! (I put on a Micron once and IT didn't have to be cut!) [xx(]

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Yep. I used a hack saw with a metal cutting blade.

It's really not that big a deal. Stop being a wuss and flex some muscle.

:D

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the metal soft or hard? Sorry, but the word "saw" it hard to say in the same sentance as my bike! :D If it's soft, a dremel may do it a little cleaner.

What if you cut that off, then buy a different pipe down the line, I wonder if it will hurt anything???

No worries Cyb, I'm not upset with you or anything. But now if I do re-sale it for a profit, I'll have a clear conscience about it! :D (I may try that, see what I can bag, then ante up for a new one if I can find a good deal somewhere. Worth a try I guess.)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
the pipe should be fairly easy to cut, use a hack saw though, because a dremel will throw hot pieces of metal everywhere and they could burn right into your plastics and embed themselves.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I didnt have to cut anything. When i unbolted the stock exhaust there was no pipe it was just the flange thats it. Put the exhaust flush with it and bolted it on. that was it.

·
Resident Brit™
1,157 Posts
get a Blue flame exhaust it fits over the stock length perfect (as its designed to be direct replacement not a hack job) that said get the hacksaw to it if you have the 2 bros already as its not going to harm it putting the stock one back on (you have a bolt under the pillon peg holding the arse end and 3 on the midpipe) you leave an inch so you can still fit an exhaust gasket otherwise you get gas leaking from the joint.

Russ

·
Registered
243 Posts
You could always just use a pipe cutter. I dont know how much they cost, my stepdad has a bunch of them in the garage. It looks like a c-clamp and one end has a cutting wheel and the other end has two little wheels. You clamp it to the pipe and then spin it then tighten the clamp a little and then spin it again until it cuts all the way through. It makes pretty clean cuts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the Akra bolt on (CF) on my ZZR and I had no fitment issues what so ever. Remove 3 bolts on pipe, 1 bolt stay, throw away stock muffler, put on Akra, replace bolts, make neat noise ;).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.