Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a Ducati 999 in the next few months, and there's a dealer by my house that actually has a helpful staff, and friendly salespeople, but the manager's a dick. I'm going to be paying cash for the bike, but I want to demo ride it first to make sure it's what I think it is. The problem is that I'm 23, and this place caters to older wealthy people rather than younger adults with work ethic and the ability to effectively manage their finances. It's a BMW-Triumph-Ducati, but it was BMW-Triumph up until about a year ago, when they picked up the Ducati line and got approved to be a Duc service center.

Those of you who have had demo rides, what should I expect? If I go in with cash in hand, or a bank account statement, would they just hand me the keys and take me out, or will I have to fight for it because of my age? Also, what format of ride would it be? I'm sure it's not like a test drive where they hand you the keys to a car, but will I have to follow some old geezer on a 80's BMW cruiser down the most boring and slow roads imaginable, or do demo rides usually give you a few places to open it up and test the brakes and a little bit of the handling?

Any input and experiences would be very helpful. Oh, and don't think I'm forsaking Kawi. I'll keep my 636 if I can afford it, but if I can't, Kawi will always be in my blood. =)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
It really just depends on the dealer and the insurance they carry. most shops don;t do demo rides, but there are a few. Last year, when my dad was shopping for a new bike, he was able to demo a new Harley V-Rod and the Harley dealership and was able to demo a Kawisaki Mean Streak at the metric dealership.
Have you asked about a demo yet? Just tell them what you just told us. Tell them you have cash and you want to know what you're buying before you spend the dough...thats what my dad did.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by wickedkonceptz
They might just let you play around in the parking lot
lol...ass clown. :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thats a shame you are so far away the local duc dealer in south jersey was going to but me on any ducati they have and send me on a 30 minute ride with a salesman....REALLY cool shop.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by eimajnacnud
How much can you get the 999 for in the states?
New 06 standard 999's go for 16-17k, give or take. New 05's go for 15-16, and new 03/04's (yes, there are still new ones out there) go for about 14k to 15k, and you can get a used 03/04 for 10k to 12k depending on miles, and time of the year.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
screw spending that kind of money in cash bro

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
zero-cool: Do you mean finance it, or don't spend the money period? I try not to take loans and get credit. If I can pay for something cash, I will, always. Where cash = debit card or cash...I try to almost never use my credit cards, and hate taking out loans. Aside from the whole interest deal, when I pay for something I want to own it, no leans, no nothing. I want to pay the money, and get the title with the keys, you know? It's more satisfying, and I don't have to worry about bills. I hate bills. =)

2000zx9r: Yeah, I was thinking on those lines...I don't know many businessmen who aren't persuaded by cash. I just don't want to walk in there and look like an ass and lose any bargaining leverage I might have on the price.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt
zero-cool: Do you mean finance it, or don't spend the money period? I try not to take loans and get credit. If I can pay for something cash, I will, always. Where cash = debit card or cash...I try to almost never use my credit cards, and hate taking out loans. Aside from the whole interest deal, when I pay for something I want to own it, no leans, no nothing. I want to pay the money, and get the title with the keys, you know? It's more satisfying, and I don't have to worry about bills. I hate bills. =)

2000zx9r: Yeah, I was thinking on those lines...I don't know many businessmen who aren't persuaded by cash. I just don't want to walk in there and look like an ass and lose any bargaining leverage I might have on the price.
I feel you, but that's a HUGE chunk of money in cash to hand over to someone. Why not put half down or something and finance the other half? Sure, it will take longer to have a title in your hand, but what happens if you buy it with cash and you're out $15-16k or even if it's just $10k and all the sudden something unexpected happens and you need money fast, but you're all out (assuming you don't wipe your ass with $100's) you know? Then what? You sell the bike at a huge loss? Is there really that big of a market to where you could even sell something like that in a hurry?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.