Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Unfortunately, there is no easy way really, an aftermarket exhaust along with a dedicated ecu map and a racing air filter can offer significant weight reduction, better response and maybe a couple of hp more here and there. The bike will definitely feel faster but if you want a substantial upgrade in performance it would be easier to start looking for a different category bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay I thought as much, what do you think about the new CBR650R, they have a little bit more power? thanks for the reply and the info :)

·
39,626 Posts
Changing gear ratio with your sprockets will help you accelerate faster but your top speed will suffer.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Okay I thought as much, what do you think about the new CBR650R, they have a little bit more power? thanks for the reply and the info :)
You are welcome, hmm, a four-cylinder of roughly the same displacement may disappoint you after the torquey Er, you will have to rev it quite high in order to feel the extra power and it will probably feel hollow and less potent in the lower rev range. It is definitely faster on a straight line though, but not as satisfying, for instance when exiting corners.

It is an acquired taste though and definitely a good bike!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, you have put me off a little now lol. I thought it would be better all round for some reason. One of the things I don't like about the ER6's is it being a twin cylinder, they just don't produce the same note as a four. I felt it was too quiet so I put on an aftermarket exhaust but then felt it was too loud and again it doesn't produce that distinctive racey sound compared to four cylinders...

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Oh, you have put me off a little now lol. I thought it would be better all round for some reason. One of the things I don't like about the ER6's is it being a twin cylinder, they just don't produce the same note as a four. I felt it was too quiet so I put on an aftermarket exhaust but then felt it was too loud and again it doesn't produce that distinctive racey sound compared to four cylinders...
Definitely different soundtrack indeed but if you are looking for that four-cylinder howl, again you will need to rev the engine quite high so you can enjoy both the sound and the power ;)

Generally speaking, twin cylinders give the sensation of torque and four cylinders the feel of elasticity. That Honda has been retuned for midrange torque but it is impossible to change the characteristics of an engine layout completely, so I guess it would be better to test ride it first!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely different soundtrack indeed but if you are looking for that four-cylinder howl, again you will need to rev the engine quite high so you can enjoy both the sound and the power ;)

Generally speaking, twin cylinders give the sensation of torque and four cylinders the feel of elasticity. That Honda has been retuned for midrange torque but it is impossible to change the characteristics of an engine layout completely, so I guess it would be better to test ride it first!
I have to say what a well written explanation it's brilliant and you've been most helpful indeed, it's obvious you know what you're talking about, a true biker with lots of knowledge ;):) thanks again... (y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts