Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an '07 ZX6R with 7,800 miles but I'm starting to wonder if it really has those miles.... It's been dropped twice in the past, new spray painted fairings, dents in tank and frame...but seems to run fine. I'm just wondering if it really only had 7,800 miles or if it's actually more. The tires seem more worn for just those few miles..

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
6000 miles is about right for a rear. Sometimes less, these aren't car tires.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand, I shouldn't have even mentioned that.

Just feeling uneasy that anyone can just switch a dash for a lower mileage one and no one would be the wiser. Sounds so stupid. But, the bike runs well so whatever, nothing I can do about it.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
i'd call Bullspit, no way you can replace all that shit and not have some extra bolts/plastics laying around

it could be legit, 7800miles is enough to time royally mess up a supersport

i've seen people part these bikes out around 1200miles- barely broken in

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Coincidentally, the fairings are missing random bolts and one engine mount bolt missing from the left front.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
How much did you pay for that POS?

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
the milage has nothing to do in this case, the bike was clearly abused, you can purchase a SS with 20k miles and be clean and crisp , and you can buy a 8000 mile bike that was used for stunts (as this one clearly was) and destroyed early.

Don't worry about the miles , the bike is clearly abused so even if it has 7500 miles it was aged prematurely.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
stunt abuse would be worn clutch, blown fork seals, missing teeth on the sprocket...
most riders will crash a super sport without even stunting it

this guy could have been one of the infamous "dirt bike rider gone street bike"

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think he stunted it, but it was definitely dropped on both sides, maybe twice on one side.

Title is clear but in NC they don't record mileage on MCs...gay.

I paid $3k. Who knows, maybe that was "way too much for 'that pos'" but I felt that it was a decent deal and have no problem fixing the cosmetics. Clutch seems fine to me, engine runs great, transmission shifts well, and other than that driveline-type slack that I notice whenever I decrease throttle, it has no issues. (It was the popular opinion among other ZX6 owners that it is common on these bikes?)

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I don't think he stunted it, but it was definitely dropped on both sides, maybe twice on one side.

Title is clear but in NC they don't record mileage on MCs...gay.

I paid $3k. Who knows, maybe that was "way too much for 'that pos'" but I felt that it was a decent deal and have no problem fixing the cosmetics. Clutch seems fine to me, engine runs great, transmission shifts well, and other than that driveline-type slack that I notice whenever I decrease throttle, it has no issues. (It was the popular opinion among other ZX6 owners that it is common on these bikes?)
The dented frame is what worries me. At re-sale time you might get fucked.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The dented frame is what worries me. At re-sale time you might get fucked.
It's not "that bad" IMO but you're still right. It's what also helped me to negotiate the price down further (he left that bit of info OUT of his for sale ad!). I was pretty annoyed at that and made sure he knew it.

The dent is in the little handlebar recessed area on the frame.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
That price is a good one. I would just run it until there's nothing left.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's the plan. lol I can rebuild the engine if I need to as well, but definitely don't want to be anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts

·
Powerhungry
37,739 Posts
depending on where the frame dent is...it could be very common.
the 05-06, just falling over while parked can dent the frame.
the clip-on spins and the bar weight hits the frame.

not a deal breaker for sure.
mine is dented, and has been for over 30,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts