Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2005 zx636 2 months ago and have gotten it running but then have been trying to eliminate the bad sounding cam chain noise. It had a manual tensioner when i got it so went to a good auto tensioner, then brought another not messed up manual tensioner and couldnt get rid of the noise there. After that i found out the previous person working on it had destroyed the cam chain guide on the tensioner side so i replaced that with a good one and the noise went away a little but is still there and any of the tensioners are almost maxed out to get tension on it. The bike supposedly has only 6198 miles but looks like someone went to replace cam shaft chain before and cut the guard to keep it on crankshaft sprocket and they may have previously split the case cause of the gasket maker. So what im trying to ask is does it sound like a bad chain?

·
Registered
620 Posts
I think you need a new guard.
The service manual would list the specs on when the chain is stretched beyond limits. Measuring the distance between pins (probably 20 links).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you need a new guard.
The service manual would list the specs on when the chain is stretched beyond limits. Measuring the distance between pins (probably 20 links).
What do you mean by a new guard? and i looked through the service manual and couldn't find any measurement for a stretched cam chain.

·
Registered
620 Posts
What do you mean by a new guard?
I meant cam chain guide.
The specs on that chain should be in the manual. If you have a factory manual it is probably in the "Engine Top End" chapter.

Edit: Although I would find it highly unlikely that an engine with that low mileage would have a stretched cam chain.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I meant cam chain guide.
The specs on that chain should be in the manual. If you have a factory manual it is probably in the "Engine Top End" chapter.

Edit: Although I would find it highly unlikely that an engine with that low mileage would have a stretched cam chain.
i already replaced the guides on both sides because the previous owner had way overtightened the manual tensioner so the guide was destroyed, in the manual for engine top end i only found it refering to a different chapter for removal so went there and still had no measurement.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Go the section of the manual describing cam chain replacement. Follow the directions for setting the timing. If you can get the EX on one sprocket to line up on it's mark at the same time that the IN on the other sprocket lines up on it's mark, then the chain must not be stretched.

Bear in mind that the chains will stretch, so you can miss the mark by a mm or 2 and still be within specs. Without the actual specs it's hard to say how much you can miss the mark by. But certainly not so much that you could move the sprocket an entire tooth to get it to line up. (Unless is has of coarse jumped a tooth)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Setting the timing you can never get them to line up exact and most of time cam chain will float off cam sprocket when going you put cam cap on

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Camshaft Chain Removal
• Split the crankcase (see Crankcase Splitting in the Crank-
shaft/Transmission chapter).
• Remove the camshaft chain [A] from the crankshaft
sprocket."

That's the chapter in top end specifically mentioning the cam chain no where else does it say anything about a cam chain in the top end segment.
Then for the transmission chapter they refer this is what they have

"•Install:
Crankshaft and Connecting Rods
Camshaft Chain [A]
○Be sure to hang the camshaft chain on the crankshaft."

·
Registered
620 Posts
That really sounds like the chain has jumped a couple of teeth. Have you counted the chain links between the points on the sprockets that would confirm or contradict this? There aint no way a chain can stretch that much. :surprise:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haven't counted it but camshafts are off and cam chain is out right now waiting on a new one, since its the last thing i could think of that'd be making the noise so will see if that was the issue when the part gets here next week.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welp a different update but i won't be able to test that cam chain for a while, was watching videos and realized copper flakes in the oil pan means crankshaft bearings are going and well...... they are, so I have to split the crankcase.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts