Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my bike for a month now and I hate having to back out of parking spaces. I barely reach the floor and that is why I hate backing out of spaces. I don't want to mess with the ride but would love to be able to reach the floor enough so I can get out of spaces.

I have tried searching but I get no where.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Tony the noob

·
Registered
17 Posts
what kind of bike do you have. i just bought some lower links for my 2007 zx6r probably going to lower it about an inch. havent installed it yet dont have the right tools. dealership in las vegas is going to charge me 90 bucks for install. so im probably going witth that

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Stand beside it and walk it out. Put the kickstand down and get on. I'm not strong enough to back out up a slope so that's what I do. I get off and push if I have too.

·
Registered
364 Posts
yeah i'm with sev on this one, I didnt want to lower to the bike for fear of handling ( I'm 5'7 ) and my legs are short I just walk it to where I can get on a ride off, saves some dollars and I dont mind it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
lower it man. still corners great dont let anyone fool you. mines dropped 2in in the rear and 1.5 front. you have to by lowering links for the rear. i recommend pro-tek links there about 90bucks. take off the lower and both side fairings then remove the header. next remove the two bolts holding on the original links. have a buddy or two help because the tail will sag down to the rear tire. have your buddy's lift up the tail and put the bolts back in on the setting you want. don’t go more than 2in b/c you’ll bottom out on everything. next loosing your clip-ons and lower them 1.5 in and tighten them back down. next loosen both upper and lower triple clamps and the fork tubes will come up through the clamps. tighten everything back down. finally you will have to take off your side stand and cut the foot off then cut 1.75 in out of it. weld the foot back on and a little black paint and wahlah. lowered (safer ride) for us short guys. pics enclosed for help.

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yeah I would listen to SEV. If this is your first bike, I don't recommend lowering it no matter how much you cant reach the ground with your feet. My friend had a 07 zx6r and lowered his bike about one and a half inch and he went over a pot hole and his bike flipped. The bike was severely damaged. This being his first and last bike. I felt bad for him. He only had it for a month. We bought it at the same time. So don't lower it, pot holes are a bitch and for some reason our bike's suspension is really crappy. Every time i go over a small bump, my ass gets off the seat.

·
Registered
42 Posts
actually before you purchase your bike you should hv ask your dealer to specifically lower the seat for you. it will cost you some bucks, if you really need that seat lowered. i got my seat lowered on my bike. but its really a last resort to get your bike lowered. b/c it changes your bike significantly. so the choice is yours.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah I would listen to SEV. If this is your first bike, I don't recommend lowering it no matter how much you cant reach the ground with your feet. My friend had a 07 zx6r and lowered his bike about one and a half inch and he went over a pot hole and his bike flipped. The bike was severely damaged. This being his first and last bike. I felt bad for him. He only had it for a month. We bought it at the same time. So don't lower it, pot holes are a bitch and for some reason our bike's suspension is really crappy. Every time i go over a small bump, my ass gets off the seat.
well im sure that would have happened even if he didnt lower it

thats why bikes are extremely dangerous no matter what with these crappy US roads, but they are fun as hell lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As of right now I love my bike I go over pot holes which are many on the block of my job with ease. I just hate being at the light and trying to back out of a space and I tippy toe my ass out of there lol

In my opinion I thought the bike could get lowered with out having to buy anything but I guess I was wrong

so how do I lower the seat ?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
No you can't correctly lower it without buying anything. Maybe if you ghetto'd it and cut the spring or something......IDK

Sev already talked about parking spaces. At lights just put your left foot down and lean the bike in that direction. Pretend your foot is the kickstand. But it's a helluva lot better than the crap ass stands on the bike. Put your right foot on the brake. Just like they tell you at the BRC, stay in first. Not only is that the safe thing to do but it will make for a less clunky and more seamless start since you'll only have one foot down anyway. Having your rear foot on the brake also makes you more stable at the light, less likely to roll, and you can also tap it when you see cars approaching. I'm six feet tall and I do this a lot when I don't put down both feet, for whatevr reason.

With re: to lower the seat I think they're talking about shaving it. but I'm not sure. There is no way to just lower it by adjusting anything. Don't get confused. You have to take off the upholstered part and actually remove material from the seat itself in order to achieve the lower seat height. This is a much better alternative to actually lowering the suspension, at least in my opinion. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I purchased my 07 used w/ 900 miles from a guy that was very very short, the bike had vortex lowering links and had been dropped, went to Alabama via greyhound to get it and I drove it 900 miles home. First thing I did was bring everything back to stock settings and what a difference it made, the bike handled much much better at stock than 1.5 inches lower.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
264 Posts
dood i'm telling you lowering it is no big deal believe a guy you actually has a lowered bike. that one foot down at lights crap sucks. you get tired in traffic and being flat footed is always a safer play. and it only cost you about 100bucks for links. and some work on your part. but do what you want. ride safe.

·
Registered
626 Posts
pot holes are bad period...the bike could have flipped without being lowered as well. i dont like hitting potholes in my car so i avoid them on the bike like theyre the plague! if the front wheel gets caught youre going over the bars, lowered or not.

as for the suspension being crappy...no its not. its set up stiff for track use. this is a bike built for racing, not cruising. its going to jar you on big bumps. im 220 lbs and it jars me. if youre going straight just rise off the seat about an inch and soak up the bump, i do it all the time (habit from my MXing days). believe me, it helps.

personally though, i wouldnt want to lower my bike. i just dont want to run the risk of bottoming out! i havent come close yet, but theres always that possibility. i cant flat foot my bike, but im on the balls of my feet when i put both down, which is good enough IMO. have you tried getting the bike set up for your weight? that might help, as well as shaving the seat.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
dood i'm telling you lowering it is no big deal believe a guy you actually has a lowered bike. that one foot down at lights crap sucks. you get tired in traffic and being flat footed is always a safer play. and it only cost you about 100bucks for links. and some work on your part. but do what you want. ride safe.
I can put both feet down flat foot at lights, but I still only use my left. Right stays on the rear brake to let people know I'm stopped, and to hold me in place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i lowered my bike vortex links and the bike rides 100 times better bro! im 5'3'' and i bought the same bike as u and it made all the difference. i also heard about shaving your seat down...might want to try that 1st!

·
Registered
905 Posts
ive got vortex links. im 5'7 also.

put them on when i first got my bike last year on the middle setting...(bout an inch and a 1/4 drop or so...bout 2 months later i raised it to the height closest to stock (which is about half an inch off). then i put it back to stock. i had fears of dropping it from moving it back and such...but i got over it after i got better at riding.

i also wear boots when i ride...they give me about 2 inches in height lol n better traction when my feet are down.

but anywho, if ur still looking for lowering links, im trying to sell my vortex, so shoot me a PM if so.

·
Registered
905 Posts
im gonna assume it had nothing to do with lowering, and had everything to do with the fact that he didn't tune his suspension after he lowered the bike for his height on that drop.

bet the dampning was too stiff at that point for him, and that's why it went down.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.