Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to tighten my chain today with no real luck. I tighten the adjuster nut on the side with the chain first. It was had but i got it moved out to 3 bars and then i tried the other side. The wrench sliped off twice and i stoped trying because it just wasn't moveing this side is just past 2 bars like 2.3. So i lossened up the other side to try and set the wheel so it was even and could only move it back to like 2.7 bars. Was i supose to lossen that big nut first or what. I think i will be takeing it to a dealer for them to fix. This whole thing has just got me really mad at myself for not learning the right way before just doing it.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Yeah, you need to loosen the big nut, not all the way. It will work better if it is snug. You sound like you got it pretty screwed up. Adjust both sides so that the chain is loose and you are on the same mark on both sides. You will have to go a little forward of where the chain was. When you get both sides on the same mark start turning the adjuster about 1/6 turn at a time, the same amount on each side until you get the tension where it should be 35-40mm. This will keep the rear wheel aligned.

If you have your owners manual it will tell you how to do it.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I will own a repair manual for every bike I ever own as long as I live. If you're even a little mechanically inclined, you can save yourself a lot of time and money. Dealerships make you pay for your bike. Don't let them make you pay them to fix it to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.