Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Every 100-200 miles i lube it with gear oil. I probably only clean my chain one or two times in 3,000 miles. The gear oil keeps the chain cleaner but i trade off by having tp lubricate more often.

sent from my fone.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Every 100-200 miles i lube it with gear oil. I probably only clean my chain one or two times in 3,000 miles. The gear oil keeps the chain cleaner but i trade off by having tp lubricate more often.

sent from my fone.
The manual says I can use diesel oil/kerosene to clean it then apply lube, do you think Rotella 15w40 Diesel Oil would qualify as good to clean the chain with before I lube the hell out of it?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Either buy a spray can of chain cleaner, or use diesel fuel/kerosene, not diesel oil.

The Walmart here also sells a 3-sided chain brush.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
1. I use oil sprays, easier to check for dryness, any chain specific stuff is ok.

2. For cleaning I also use special sprays and an old toothbrush. They do a good job but you need to use a lot, like half a can every time, but you don't have to clean it very often anyway. For lubing you don't need as much when you apply it correctly. Spray on the inner side of the chain and make sure the o-rings are covered in oil and shinny. It's better to go for a ride, lube while the chain is still warm and leave it overnight.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Wd-40 is what i use sometimes to clean. Kerosene is good too.

sent from my fone.
Are you sure about Wd-40?

I know that it is the best wheel cleaner ever (as long as it is not sprayed on the tire) but I heard that it could corrode-damage the rings over the course of time.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Are you sure about Wd-40?

I know that it is the best wheel cleaner ever (as long as it is not sprayed on the tire) but I heard that it could corrode-damage the rings over the course of time.
No, WD-40 will not damage the rings but if it gets in, it will clean them out. If your rings let it in however, you probably need a new chain.

I was using WD-40, tried Kerosene and for me seems to work better.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I got Motul spray cleaner and spray chain wax it worked GREAT. Took a bit bc there was soooo much grease, but it worked out ?

·
Registered
351 Posts
i used to use the nice man in the kawasaki shop to clean my chain untill i realised he was washing it in gasoline. i found that out when all the o rings started falling out.
i now use another nice man with a 5 million psi power wash and he blasts that chain to oblivion.
its a good job chains are cheap in thailand.:)

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, I got Motul spray cleaner and spray chain wax it worked GREAT. Took a bit bc there was soooo much grease, but it worked out ��
Good, I use the second trip meter as a km meter for chain maintenance.

I lube every 500km and after riding in heavy rain or whenever the chain looks dry.

In any case, if in doubt, lube :rolleyes:

·
Registered
473 Posts
i used to use the nice man in the kawasaki shop to clean my chain untill i realised he was washing it in gasoline. i found that out when all the o rings started falling out.
i now use another nice man with a 5 million psi power wash and he blasts that chain to oblivion.
its a good job chains are cheap in thailand.:)
That's not any better than the last guy. ..

I hate tapatalk; but this was sent from it.

·
Registered
448 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
There are things you let a mechanic do. Lubing your chain is not one of them IMO

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
201 Posts
F that. I spend $15 and i can clean and lube my chain probably 30+ times.

sent from my fone.
Definitely. I got a year's worth (~6000 mi) worth of chain maintenance out of $15 using Maxima chain cleaner and wax.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Ok guys, since this gadget is about cleaning - lubing the chain I will post my impressions here.

I recently bought this:

https://www.louis.de/en/artikel/liftstick-louis/10003338

It's a mini jack that attaches to the tip of the swingarm and lifts up the rear tire for chain maintenance.

It fits in my tank bag and is practical to carry and use.

The company says that it doesn't work with banana, supersport and chopper swingarms but it works great with my bike so I totally recommend it for easy chain maintenance!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts