Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Update: I've been using the Ipone X-Treme Chain Road spray for two years now and I am very happy with it :)

It has the most practical spray nozzle I've ever used and it goes white when applied on the chain and translucent afterward.

It is good for 500km of scorching hot highway, it stays on in wet conditions without turning into sludge and it is very clean when applied properly.

It has an 800km recommendation between applications but the usual 500km interval would be more realistic, especially with the bike fully loaded.

Thumbs up from me!
Good info, do you also use the Ipone chain cleaner? I think Fortnine proved it to be the best and safest for the job.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Good info, do you also use the Ipone chain cleaner? I think Fortnine proved it to be the best and safest for the job.
No, I use kerosene on a microfibre cloth, soft and long enough fibers to clean between the plates without agitating the o -rings.

I watched that video but I wouldn't trust such comparisons as it is very hard to represent the exact conditions outside an expensive science laboratory.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
So did you hear about the new maintenance-free - diamond-coated chain from Regina?

Buy REGINA HPE - CHAIN 525 High-Performance Endurance | Louis motorcycle clothing and technology

BMW offers it with its high-end models, no cleaning, no lubing, no tightening required...

...on paper, because in the small print there is a certain amount of maintenance required and Regina is not responsible for any future mishaps :unsure:

It is also very expensive without lasting longer than a regular set according to the factory.

I am too neurotic to ride thousands of miles without caring for the chain, so not for me!

·
Pursebully
39,366 Posts
Yeah, I don't care how "maintenance free" a chain is, it's still getting lubed.

Reactions: GR rider

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
293 Posts
So did you hear about the new maintenance-free - diamond-coated chain from Regina?

Buy REGINA HPE - CHAIN 525 High-Performance Endurance | Louis motorcycle clothing and technology

BMW offers it with its high-end models, no cleaning, no lubing, no tightening required...

...on paper, because in the small print there is a certain amount of maintenance required and Regina is not responsible for any future mishaps :unsure:

It is also very expensive without lasting longer than a regular set according to the factory.

I am too neurotic to ride thousands of miles without caring for the chain, so not for me!
Yeah, I don't care how "maintenance free" a chain is, it's still getting lubed.

Actually this is a hot topic over on the XR forums and I have a lot of insight, from personal experiences with friend's bikes too.

The HPE or M-Endurance chain (literally the same thing) is truly maintenance free and you're NOT supposed to lube it as it's actively BAD for the chain. The only sort of lube you should ever use on it is dry lube but even that's hardly necessary. This is because wet lubes cause dirt to stick to the chain and grains of sand (with quartz in them) can damage the coating on the rollers and essentially strip the protection on the rollers. The rollers with this coating and the side plates being zinc coated are almost completely weather resistant so once again lube is not necessary to shield from weather. The only explicit maintenance that's required is cleaning the chain, but this can be done much less frequently due to the aforementioned, less dirt sticking to the chain.

In general there isn't a lot of feedback yet but most people that went fully no maintenance route with it are around 10-15k miles with the chain being WELL within spec and no apparent tight spots on the chain. There was 1 guy who reported their chain has rusted, but the rust seems to be around the inner pin and it's only surface rust, probably a one of case, and it's not even clear if he has the M-Endurance chain or just a standard chain. Most also say basically no adjustment was needed in this time frame.

I have a friend who has the M-endurance chain on his Gen 2 XR and I regularly check in with him. The sprockets also experience much less wear due to the overall less friction between the chain and sprockets.

For overall life I've not seen anyone having to get rid of their M-endurance chains yet, there are some people that've done 20k on the Gen 2s already but I don't know if they have this chain or not. To me though even if it only lasts the same time as a regular chain, which I think it'd last more, I still think it's worth it, because it's not only hassle free, it also saves you on chain lube and cleaner!

Tallying it up for my XR (just chains alone):

DID ZVMX (Their top chain): £120
Tsubaki Sigma XRG (A chain I've been running on the ER6 too and it's one of the best traditional chains period.): £155
BMW M-endurance/Regina HPE: £230

Now add about ~£80 for chain lube and cleaning spray for the life of the chain (3x£10 bottles of lube, 5x£10 bottles of cleaner, probably underestimating even). And you're damn near the M-endurance chain. And that's a lot of hassle saved.

Hope this was informative, don't mean to be nit-picking, but I was suspicious/sceptical about this maintenance free chain so much so that I ended up getting the Tsubaki for my XR instead of the M-endurance chain, but I've seen a lot of results that really changed my mind and once this Tsubaki is done i'm 100% getting the M-endurance/Regina HPE chain. By then they probably would've worked out any kinks and/or improved the product even more.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Actually this is a hot topic over on the XR forums and I have a lot of insight, from personal experiences with friend's bikes too.

The HPE or M-Endurance chain (literally the same thing) is truly maintenance free and you're NOT supposed to lube it as it's actively BAD for the chain. The only sort of lube you should ever use on it is dry lube but even that's hardly necessary. This is because wet lubes cause dirt to stick to the chain and grains of sand (with quartz in them) can damage the coating on the rollers and essentially strip the protection on the rollers. The rollers with this coating and the side plates being zinc coated are almost completely weather resistant so once again lube is not necessary to shield from weather. The only explicit maintenance that's required is cleaning the chain, but this can be done much less frequently due to the aforementioned, less dirt sticking to the chain.

In general there isn't a lot of feedback yet but most people that went fully no maintenance route with it are around 10-15k miles with the chain being WELL within spec and no apparent tight spots on the chain. There was 1 guy who reported their chain has rusted, but the rust seems to be around the inner pin and it's only surface rust, probably a one of case, and it's not even clear if he has the M-Endurance chain or just a standard chain. Most also say basically no adjustment was needed in this time frame.

I have a friend who has the M-endurance chain on his Gen 2 XR and I regularly check in with him. The sprockets also experience much less wear due to the overall less friction between the chain and sprockets.

For overall life I've not seen anyone having to get rid of their M-endurance chains yet, there are some people that've done 20k on the Gen 2s already but I don't know if they have this chain or not. To me though even if it only lasts the same time as a regular chain, which I think it'd last more, I still think it's worth it, because it's not only hassle free, it also saves you on chain lube and cleaner!

Tallying it up for my XR (just chains alone):

DID ZVMX (Their top chain): £120
Tsubaki Sigma XRG (A chain I've been running on the ER6 too and it's one of the best traditional chains period.): £155
BMW M-endurance/Regina HPE: £230

Now add about ~£80 for chain lube and cleaning spray for the life of the chain (3x£10 bottles of lube, 5x£10 bottles of cleaner, probably underestimating even). And you're damn near the M-endurance chain. And that's a lot of hassle saved.

Hope this was informative, don't mean to be nit-picking, but I was suspicious/sceptical about this maintenance free chain so much so that I ended up getting the Tsubaki for my XR instead of the M-endurance chain, but I've seen a lot of results that really changed my mind and once this Tsubaki is done i'm 100% getting the M-endurance/Regina HPE chain. By then they probably would've worked out any kinks and/or improved the product even more.
Excellent info on an interesting topic, the fact that this new technology was introduced on a 200+ hp bike says a lot about confidence if you ask me!

I heard some complaints about rolling and "whipping"noise similar to a dried out normal chain so maybe you should ask your friend about that too along with the small print about the legal stuff. Probably just for psychological reasons and people like me though 😀

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
293 Posts
Excellent info on an interesting topic, the fact that this new technology was introduced on a 200+ hp bike says a lot about confidence if you ask me!

I heard some complaints about rolling and "whipping"noise similar to a dried out normal chain so maybe you should ask your friend about that too along with the small print about the legal stuff. Probably just for psychological reasons and people like me though 😀
BMW has the usual jargon in the manual and they state you should still occasionally use "chain lube specifically for low-maintenance chains" aka dry lube and also recommends lubing (wet lube) when used on a race track as i mentioned before but i don't know the purpose of that, heat dissipation? maybe covering their asses in racing scenarios? who knows. But then we're also talking about the same manufacturer that doesn't allow burnouts because of the linked brake system even with ABS off even though turning ABS off deactivates the linked brakes.

As far the whipping noise I haven't seen many complaints but i've seen a few people mention the chain is loud. I guess it's just a characteristic intrinsic to this chain, it is what it is, wouldn't bother me personally. Bike already makes so many noises one more wouldn't even cause concern 😂 😂 😂

·
Registered
KAWASAKI er6n/2008
12 Posts
Very useful informations about the HPE chain indeed.
I change mine 2000 miles ago. I prefered the Tsubaki Alhpa Series XRG chain with Sunstar sprockets.
Also i use Valvoline Full Synthetic chain lube (for lubrication) and Wurth chain and brakes cleaner or Kerosene (for cleaning) at the present. I'm really happy with both of them!
In the past i had Motorex racing chain lube...pretty sticky!
Probably i will try something else in the future...maybe Ipone one that GR rider propose.
I had in mind also the Bel ray's Blue Tac...but as i read it is very,very,very sticky...something that is no good for my taste.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
293 Posts
I change mine 2000 miles ago. I prefered the Tsubaki Alhpa Series XRG chain with Sunstar sprockets.
Also i use Valvoline Full Synthetic chain lube (for lubrication) and Wurth chain and brakes cleaner or Kerosene (for cleaning) at the present. I'm really happy with both of them!
Probably i will try something else in the future...maybe Ipone one that GR rider propose.
I had in mind also the Bel ray's Blue Tac...but as i read it is very,very,very sticky...something that is no good for my taste.
That's the chain I use on the beemer right now, probably the single best regular chain out there. Had it on the ER6 as well but unfortunately due to some complications not the fault of the chain I had to get rid of it after 6k miles. Was still in perfect condition and didn't stretch a mm after initial break-in

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
The BelRay BlueTac is still the best chain lube overall for me, but the problem with the spray nozle is a deal breaker. Half the sticky spray goes on your hand :(

Maybe it was a bad batch, so give it a try, who knows...

For the Er, also have a look at the Enuma chain, the OEM top end chain set at around 150 Euro (posted links already in this thread).

·
Pursebully
39,366 Posts
I've always used Maxima chain wax after cleaning with Kerosene. For the life of me, I can't find them anymore, but I have a little plastic tool that attaches to the spray hose on my lube can. There are two holes in the tool which direct the lube to the o rings and makes for a much cleaner lube. I'll see if I can find the brand name stamped on it again because it is handy as hell. I see there are a bunch of 3D printer designs for similar tools available though. If I remember correctly, I bought it years ago from a tub on the counter of my local bike shop.

Reactions: GR rider

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I've always used Maxima chain wax after cleaning with Kerosene. For the life of me, I can't find them anymore, but I have a little plastic tool that attaches to the spray hose on my lube can. There are two holes in the tool which direct the lube to the o rings and makes for a much cleaner lube. I'll see if I can find the brand name stamped on it again because it is handy as hell. I see there are a bunch of 3D printer designs for similar tools available though. If I remember correctly, I bought it years ago from a tub on the counter of my local bike shop.
I think it's called Grease Ninja (for some reason 😀 )

·
Pursebully
39,366 Posts
I think it's called Grease Ninja (for some reason 😀 )
Same concept but not as specific to chain sizes. Would work on 520, 525, 530.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts