Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

· Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
447 Posts
Ha ha no worries, I think it's better to trust your instinct and your own eyes and ears as Stephan suggested :D

There were products excluded from the scientific lab testing because of "excessive" fling, stickiness, or rust forming (better than average in reality) that could possibly score top results when it comes to protection.
See that's weird cos the All weather one barely flings at least upwards, i always get a little in front of the sprocket or on the wheel but never on me or the tail of the bike. It is very sticky though gets the chain grimy super easily if ridden in the wet, that's why I'm eyeing XCP now Maxima would be the ultimate choice for me if not for the reportedly weak wet staying power. That's one thing the all weather muc off is good at, and smelling good. I'm not near my bike but my XR's chain is spotless after 8k miles and i rode it in the wet a fair bit, The only thing I notice is occasionally if the bike sits a bit longer there are some very slight rust circles on the rollers indicating some flat spots where they didn't roll, but doesn't seem to affect operation at all yet, no kinks or tight spots, haven't had to adjust the chain for about 5k miles now.

· Registered
3,228 Posts
See that's weird cos the All weather one barely flings at least upwards, i always get a little in front of the sprocket or on the wheel but never on me or the tail of the bike. It is very sticky though gets the chain grimy super easily if ridden in the wet, that's why I'm eyeing XCP now Maxima would be the ultimate choice for me if not for the reportedly weak wet staying power. That's one thing the all weather muc off is good at, and smelling good. I'm not near my bike but my XR's chain is spotless after 8k miles and i rode it in the wet a fair bit, The only thing I notice is occasionally if the bike sits a bit longer there are some very slight rust circles on the rollers indicating some flat spots where they didn't roll, but doesn't seem to affect operation at all yet, no kinks or tight spots, haven't had to adjust the chain for about 5k miles now.
So the All Weather Muc Off looks good after all :D

I get barely visible surface rust patterns on the exterior of the chain links when I park my bike for a week or more at my beach house where humidity is high even in summer due to the proximity to the sea. The same thing is happening with the exhaust headers, only more visible because of the larger surface. I think it's normal as I wipe the chain very well after lubing because I only want the inside of the chain lubed, and surface rust goes away with a simple wipe. And I don't get any kind of rust when in the city even in the winter.

· Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
447 Posts
So the All Weather Muc Off looks good after all :D

I get barely visible surface rust patterns on the exterior of the chain links when I park my bike for a week or more at my beach house where humidity is high even in summer due to the proximity to the sea. The same thing is happening with the exhaust headers, only more visible because of the larger surface. I think it's normal as I wipe the chain very well after lubing because I only want the inside of the chain lubed, and surface rust goes away with a simple wipe. And I don't get any kind of rust when in the city even in the winter.
Tbh it might have to do with the high quality chain i have aswell, it is supposed to not rust on the plates, which it doesn't but surely the lube helps, though normall i spray the inside of the chain don't specifically go to spray the plates.

· Registered
14 Posts
I'm a novice at this stuff. Only been riding about 3 months now but have worked on my chain many times. I like to clean it when I ride through dusty areas a few times and/or wet roads/rain. So far I have been using the 3 sided brush to loosen the muck then I use some aerosol can stuff from walmart made by DuPont, degreaser and wax based lube. I lift the rear wheel with a spool stand and clip a absorbent pad to the fender just ahead of the wheel allowing it to hang between the chain and tire. I then spin the wheel whilst coating the chain with the degreaser and follow up with another scrubbing with the brush and a final, thorough wiping with a terry cloth. Then coat it with the lube taking care not to get it on the tire. I also like to hit the other side of the chain with a coating. I'm not entirely impressed with the lube. It seems to not hold onto the chain well. In the past couple weeks, I have bought a can of the Champion lithium based chain lube. I like how it goes on with a thick white film. I can clearly see the chain is fully coated and I'm content with it.

· Registered
3,228 Posts
I'm a novice at this stuff. Only been riding about 3 months now but have worked on my chain many times. I like to clean it when I ride through dusty areas a few times and/or wet roads/rain. So far I have been using the 3 sided brush to loosen the muck then I use some aerosol can stuff from walmart made by DuPont, degreaser and wax based lube. I lift the rear wheel with a spool stand and clip a absorbent pad to the fender just ahead of the wheel allowing it to hang between the chain and tire. I then spin the wheel whilst coating the chain with the degreaser and follow up with another scrubbing with the brush and a final, thorough wiping with a terry cloth. Then coat it with the lube taking care not to get it on the tire. I also like to hit the other side of the chain with a coating. I'm not entirely impressed with the lube. It seems to not hold onto the chain well. In the past couple weeks, I have bought a can of the Champion lithium based chain lube. I like how it goes on with a thick white film. I can clearly see the chain is fully coated and I'm content with it.
Cool, I would recommend using the brush and deep cleaning the chain only a couple of times yearly as too much scrubbing can affect the o-ring sealing effect.

If you just use the terry cloth + chain cleaner often, the chain should be clean enough and rust-free in the meantime.

Just a recommendation though, it's up to you and the conditions you ride (y)

· Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
447 Posts
Fast question so not to post another thread, but will mineral spirits work for cleaning a chain?
Not sure but if you want easy off the shelf products brake/clutch cleaners are perfectly fine to use and work well, just make sure it doesn't contain chlorine. I personally am fairly lazy with cleaning, 1-2k miles between cleans, usually just moist rag to wipe it down after i wash the bike then on goes the next dose of lube, if wet, I might lube it more often, if dry it may be 1000 miles between lubes.
As for actual brands of lube that I can recommend:

XCP Professional chain lube, excellent for wet weather, doesn't fling if you don't put on too much
Maxima chain wax is excellent in dry and dusty environments, not sticky at all, and 0 fling but does get washed of by wet fairly easily.
Both provide top tier protection.

15k mile chain after being ridden on wet/gritted uk roads for over a week since last clean.

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Bicycle part

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Sports equipment Bicycle tire

· Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
447 Posts
61 - 76 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.