Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i usually clean it with water and some light dish soap twice a month, but otherwise I use Plexus and some Honda Spray to keep it shinin. water doesn't hurt it right? they're meant to be ridden in the rain, which I am forced to do, but what about the ram air?? what filters it and prevents that water from getting to the air filter or into the carbs?

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" -Mark Twain

·
Registered
90 Posts
I use heavy duty car wash for the bike (diluted down a fair bit), kero or degreaser for the rims and I polish the fairings with turtle car polish. I've heard some people use Mr Sheen for the fairing, but I've never used it. (Not sure if you have Mr Sheen in USA, but it's a furniture polish spray)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I know this is wrong, but I barely ever wash mine. Any time it's nice enough to wash it I end up riding it. I just use dish soap when I do wash it though. [B)]

Canada Kicks Ass

·
Registered
327 Posts
I use Maguires car wash, and Maguires car polish. I degrease the rims with this cheap'n'nasty degreaser I get from Supercheap, but it's good stuff, doesn't affect the rims at all. I polish them anyway with the car polish once done.

Red 2002 ZX-6R 636

It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop...

·
Registered
997 Posts
I use Mr Sheen to polish my bike it gives it a good water coat gets all the grease off and keeps the dirt out no side effects on the paint either i also use it to clean the visor on my helmet does the same job giving it a water coat so the rain just runs off, I also wonder about the Ram Air when riding in heavy rain, like today i pulled up to work my bike sounded a bit flooded??

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4829

I use Turtle Wax Extreme car wash with a wax additive. I use Nu Finish wax. Meguiars is another very good brand to use. I do use Meguiars detailing products once in awhile.

There is this stuff I use when I want my bike to look its absolute best. It is called Diamond Shine. Although expensive, it is arguably the best stuff out there. Not only does it make your vehicle look like it was dipped in liquid glass, but it also does a great job in repelling bugs and dust.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mr Sheen is the buisness.
I know a few car detailers that love the stuff.

Its really gentle on paint and still removes grease.

Im told its got a heap of silicone in it which leaves a nice protective coating, it stays clean basically

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use car soap from Canadian Tire to clean my bike and the rims. I use Rain Wax to wax my farrings. It does a great job and really repeals the water.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Originally posted by NinjaRider

they're meant to be ridden in the rain, which I am forced to do, but what about the ram air?? what filters it and prevents that water from getting to the air filter or into the carbs?
there are little plastic tanks that are connected to the ram air(just hang off it) that pick up the water. then your air goes through two filters before entering the carbs. open up your bike and have a look. its kinda fun taking it apart and seeing all these things.

give me fuel give me fire give me that which i desire

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Originally posted by NinjaRider

i usually clean it with water and some light dish soap twice a month, but otherwise I use Plexus and some Honda Spray to keep it shinin. water doesn't hurt it right? they're meant to be ridden in the rain, which I am forced to do, but what about the ram air?? what filters it and prevents that water from getting to the air filter or into the carbs?

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" -Mark Twain
Dish detergent will clean it fine, btu it's so strong that it also removes any wax you have on there.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you have the stock black rims, I found that after cleaning it with some degreaser (like simple green) you can use Eagle One Wet tire shine on it. It makes it super black and shiny, repels water, and makes it easier to clean. Rims look new and are kinda feel slick (I think the Eagle One wet tire shine is silicon based.) Just apply it to clean rims, and wipe off excess completely. I've treated my rims once so far and it still looks nice after about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Originally posted by quiksilver636

If you have the stock black rims, I found that after cleaning it with some degreaser (like simple green) you can use Eagle One Wet tire shine on it. It makes it super black and shiny, repels water, and makes it easier to clean. Rims look new and are kinda feel slick (I think the Eagle One wet tire shine is silicon based.) Just apply it to clean rims, and wipe off excess completely. I've treated my rims once so far and it still looks nice after about 3 weeks.
DOESN'T THAT STUFF COME OFF AND GET ALL OVER THE BACK OF YOUR BIKE WHILE RIDING?? I NOTICED IT GETS ALL OVER MY TRUCK AND I EVEN LET IT SET FOR AWHILE

IF YOU AIN'T RIDIN YOU AIN'T LIVIN

·
Registered
340 Posts
I USE DISH LIQUID SOAP BUT, I'M GOING TO START USING SOME TYPE OF CAR WASH THAT DOESN'T STRIP OFF THE WAX LIKE GRUNT 99 SAID.

IF YOU AIN'T RIDIN YOU AIN'T LIVIN

·
Registered
81 Posts
As mentioned above, dish soap = dull paint.

Ever heard the slogan "Dawn takes grease out of your way"? Well guess what keeps your paint shiny? Actually it's oil, but you get the point. I always use a soap that's safe for automotive paints. They're cheap and can be found at your neighborhood Kragen/Pep Boys/Autozone or whatever.

As for what I use, 90% of the time I use a few sprays of Plexus on the fairings to clean up the bugs and give it a shine. Works AWESOME on helmets and visors, too. Once a month (or so) I bust out the wash bucket and scrub her down, making sure to take care of the chain shortly thereafter.

Red
AMA #439394

·
Registered
89 Posts
has anyone ever heard of honda spray?

that shit is the shit! it cleans everything from road tar to bug guts. it also does a great job removing pimp juice from the seats. :)

"TEARS will get you sympathy,
SWEAT will get you change"

·
Registered
337 Posts
Honda spray is the bomb! I use it all the time - it's the fastest, easiest way I've found to clean my bike. It also seems to coat it so that it cleans easier the next time. It works well on plastic, paint, and metal (like my frame and can).

For the black plastic (like dash and signal stalks) I like to use a silicone spray to protect it and keep it shiny after I clean it.

mvrk1

·
Registered
314 Posts
Originally posted by TRIPLEA_RYDAH

DOESN'T THAT STUFF COME OFF AND GET ALL OVER THE BACK OF YOUR BIKE WHILE RIDING?? I NOTICED IT GETS ALL OVER MY TRUCK AND I EVEN LET IT SET FOR AWHILE.
Re: Eagle One Wet tire shine on black rims.

I wipe the excess off completely. I leave a only a "shimmer" of shine on the rim. I dont follow the directions that is intended for the rubber on the tires i.e. "the wet look".
;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.