Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys have them just regular beam or do you have them at high beam all the time?

Common practice says to turn on high beams all the time as an added visibility factor day or night for motorcycles but since we have dual headlights with already twice the illumination compared to single lamp set ups, wouldn't turning on the high beams (especially at night) be a bit much or would be somewhat blinding?

Just wondering how you guys ride around if you have the high beams on or not

Cheers!
MANGO

·
Registered
86 Posts
i hav e the h4 silver starts in and i ride highs all day and night long. i get numerous flahses through the night to turn them off but i just ignore them..id rather have people see me than not. I mean, people pull out and pass in your lane enough the way it is..just a little added awareness for them i figure..

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
wow riding with them on at night seems kinda dickish to me... i get people that will flash their brights when the low beams are on, and i hate people that drive around with their highs on at night, so why would i?... during the day i will but not at night...

·
Registered
474 Posts
kinda hard to see when you are being blinded by high beams in the eyes. My 01 however even with lowbeams on and Sylvania aftermarket bulbs was insanely bright. Keep in mind that high beams on most bikes are also aimed at a different angle and depending on how yours is set up you really could be blinding that person coming around the bend at a really bad time.

For those of you that insist on riding high beams all the time I would recommend aiming them down a bit...

·
Registered
89 Posts
High beams day or empty night road
Low Beams night

I was told by a guy last week at 2 in the afternoon...."you know your highbeams are on"?

I said "thanks" waited a second "moron"[:p]

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
I always did low beams other then at night on empty roads, but I know many people who did highbeams.
Please don't ride with highbeams on at night on roads with oncomming cars, this is more dangerous then low beams. If the guy is blinded he is more likely to hit you.

Daytime fine, high beams won't bother people much, but don't keep em on at night in traffic, it does absolutely nothing to increase your visibility to cars.

·
Resident Brit™
1,157 Posts
Low beams day or night (Motovision bulbs, which have orange tint and clearly more visible that normal low beam) High beams on empty unlit roads and low beams if traffic comes, its bad enough bikers get a bad name for the way we ride I see no point angering people more by blinding them.

Russ

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
26,947 Posts
Man I get sick of people flicking their brights at me all the time. Its dim by day and brights at night when there are no other vehicles in front of me. Ever since I put Xenons in my Jeep I get flashed just as much as I do on my bike.[:M32]

·
Registered
282 Posts
+1 on GreenEnvy. You need to be somewhat strategic with High Beans at NIGHT. On a two lane road w/ on coming traffic, it's no safer to have your high beams on. If you see a car coming, you should turn em off then right back on. It's blinding especially with Xenon.

I ride with high beans almost all the time during the day. I turn them off if i'm right behind a car or if one is coming at night.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i ride on highbeams all the time except when im in town at night where there are lots of street lights. i have had people flash their highbeams at me even with my lowbeams on so i really pay passers by no attention.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have to agree that riding at night with high beams on is an ingredient for problem, will here in Florida anyway. Two lane road you blind the driver in the oncoming lane, they loose site of the road but cross right into you lane, plus I think it just being lazy the button is right at you finger tip. Go figure. Just my $0.02s

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Lows on at all times, except late night twisties, then the highs come on. I don't really need the highs the headlights on these things RULE!
I am also running a silverstar in one side and a motovision in the other (motovision bulbs are awesome)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree highs are dangerous, they're mainly used in traffic to signal others drivers and get their attention for some reason or another.

So if your driving round with your high and someboby in a car turning into your lane ahead thinks your giving them a signal to turn into your lane, your screwed basically.

Comon sense, highs only when required.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry, kind of off topic, but GreenEnvy had a link for integrating a garage door opener on a bike. I want to think GreenEnvy if you are the web page builder for the instructions on how to do it. I could have probably figured it out, but never had the idea to do it that way. However, I ran mine from my lap timer reset botton, so even though it does not hurt it, it does not have power going to it unless I press the lap timer reset button. I did this on a 2005 Kawasaki zx6r, used the original housing for the remote and just sealed it with hot glue. It is just awesome, not more honking my horn to get my wife to open the door... Yeah!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
High Beam at night.

I knew two motorcyclist who were killed at night....in both accident's the driver of the other vehicle stated "I never saw the motorcycle." They were each going the speed limit in both accidents.

I know riding with high beams, is not good, but I do it to keep safe. In my SUV I only ride with the low beams however there are so many car/truck driver's who ride with high beams it's damn near standard for some people. Because I'm on 2 wheel's and Memphis driver's drive crazy...HIGH BEAMS for me until driver's start "looking" for motorcycles.

To aid in my visibility, I installed the rainbow strobe on my cruiser, that helped tremendously. Still thinking of ways to help with the 6R.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
i norm run lows all the time, unless at night when there is no traffic. I never thought about running highs durring the day though... i think i may have to do that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.