Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How do you like your Zx6r

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  XtremeNY911 
#1 ·
This is your first bike? Then if I were you, ,I wouldn't worry about it being as good as all the other bikes that are out on the market for sale. Don't worry about what some ex-professional racer writes about the bike in a magazine. Don't worry about what some complete stranger is going to think as he pulls up along side you at a red light three weeks from now.

You have one task, and one task only that you should be concentrating on. And that is learning how to ride a bike, safely in traffic, without risking your life, or those of others.

When a person gets their first bike, they tend to have a hard time balancing fun and safety. There's a very strong relationship between the two, and if you cross the line too far on one side of the line, you are neglecting the other, and there are concequences to that.

New riders have a hard time keeping theirselves in check. They have a bike, and love the feeling of twisting the throttle, and having the bike pull them off into the horizon. Unfortunately, they haven't yet learned how to harness the handling and braking abilities of their new toy, and to be quite honest, those are the ones they should master first. Anyone can go fast. Not as many can go fast and brbing the bike down to a halt when danger pops up unexpectedly.

The MSF course that you already took is a good intro for how to counteract the easy stuff that comes up on the roads, but its up to you to keep practicing those skills they introduced you to. You don't learn something by doing it once. You learn something through constant practice.

With your bike there should have come a little booklet that basically shows you what the DMV skills test contains. Oddly enough, that's the same exercises that you did in the MSF course. Go to your nearest mall, and practice them at least once a week. If you spend even just 30 minutes a week practicing those skills, you'll beable to boost your riding abilities quite alot quicker than if you didn't.

And if you live in the NYC area, I can tell/show you some great places to practice higher speed cornering skills.

BC.

I didn't do it, I swear.
And even if I did, what makes you think I would admit it to you?

See less See more
#2 ·
One of the most important pieces of advice for a newbie is to not think your doing ok just because you passed the MSF course. Your new ninja is a kick ass sport bike with tons of horsepower and cornering ability[:p] and is a completely different ride than the little 250 cc cruisers that they use in the intro course. Follow bladecutters advice and practice (alot!) and don't try to keep up with more advanced riders.

Step 1-Twist handle
Step 2-Hold on!

#3 ·
All good advice.
Now where were you reading bad reviews on the Ninja's?
I haven't seen one anywhere. IT hasn't won every review (although it has many) but I don't think anyones been critical of much other then a bumpy ride (which you can change to your liking via the suspension).

If you have been reading reviews of the pre 03 ninjas, like 00-02, then the magazine world has been complaining about their "older look".
Since Kawi did not update the look of the bike for a few years the hardcore racers decided it was not sporty enough. The 00-02 bikes are the best all around bike though, you can race at the track, and ride across the state, and still be comfortable.

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

#4 ·
Hey thanks for the advice. And yes I do Live in NY, lower westchester. I hear ya, I'm not worried about showing off for others, just curious about the bikes, and what you think of em. I guess it really comes down to whatever you feel is right for you. Oh and trust me i know i still have alot to learn, actually i do go to this spot down the street from me a huge parking lot when theres no cars and practice. Im not worried about going fast right now, actually havent even went pass 40 yet, becasue I'm still feeling out how the bike reacts. Really i guess my question is what made you choose your ninja? Just curious. I only took my bike out 3 times so far the weather has been SHIT. Just got bike 2 weeks ago. Hey bladecutter if you can tell me those spots thatta be cool bro, thanks. I also have 3 other friends that just got bikes, and are alos just learning to ride, Ill pass the info, but they know. Were not some knuckle heads with no brains. Im 24 and so are my friends, were taking it slow, and safe.

#5 ·
Hows everyone doing. Just got my bike a week ago 03 zx6r blue. Im new to the bike world and just learning to ride, doing good took the course so im ok, just need road time. Anyway been reading alot on the 600's and the Ninja seems to have bad reviews. So im asking should i be worried that my bike isnt good enough? Do you have any problems with your bike, if so what? As of now i dont, but then agian i really dont know yet, im still new, trying to learn about bikes as much as i can. So tell me how you like it and what you dont like if there is anything, thanks guys.

#6 ·
I chose it primarily for performance (most powerful engine in its class, best brakes in its class). No matter what the magazines say, no one can argue with those two FACTS. Also, in almost all tests, it has the quickest lap times. Because performance is my most important consideration, and it is not far behind in any other department (handling, comfort, etc.) this was the best bike for me.

My secondary considerations included looks, probable reliability (for example, the 99-02 R6's 2nd gear fails at around 10k miles, while the F4i usually suffers from cam chain tensioner problems), value for money.

Don't get me wrong, the other 600 class bikes are good too (the 600RR supposedly has really good handling, while the R6 supposedly is the most comfy). But based on my criteria, the 636 was the best. If I had to do it again, I would probably still buy the 636 (or save money and get the 6RR at a reduced price), although the 600RR and the 03 R6 would not be too far behind on my list.

#7 ·
I went with my 02 6R because:
1)Kawi has a good reputation for reliable and well built bikes
2)I wanted high performance bike
3)I wanted a bike I could ride to work daily
4)I wanted a bike I could race on the track with
5)I wanted green :) hehe

Seriously I've always been a kawi fan, and when I looked at all 4 manufactuters, I was left at the Kawi again and again.

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

#8 ·
As far as bad reviews go the most complaints ive seen is with the stiff suspension. It is setup more like a track bike than a road bike which is fine as long as you dont mind being a little stiff after a few hours ride. (I don't, which is why i bought an 03 636). As far as other things, some people thought it was ugly, some thought the gauge was hard to read. (Me to). But it seemed to get over all positive reviews. Besides some suspension problems, it got lots of praise for having the most impressive engine among the six hundreds. And if having a "fast" bike is important, you wont find any lag here. Especally since Kawasaki is running the bike in the AMA superstock class and for the most part tearing up the curcit. (Last two races were not good, but come on that bike is all straight aways and 100 cc's plus down on the other bikes). A 636 VS a 750 and still a chance in hell to win? Sounds bad ass enough to me.

It isnt the most comfortable... But it's the fastest.. It corners well, and it's light as hell. What more could you want?

Scott

#10 ·
Ok cool. I deff think it looks the best. As for the gauges yeah it is hard to read, but after awhile i dont really think ill even be looking at it lol. Well tomorrow is suppose to be a nice day here in NY, no F-ing rain! whoo hooo, about time i get some riding in. So here is another question, what exhaust do you think is best for this bike? and if i do get one, should i get the whole thing or just slip on? Whats your thoughts on that ?

#11 ·
Just got mine also Black. Pick it up saturday. Rode for 2 yrs and took MSF. Did you have a difficult time riding this bike. Was it hard to get use to. Never rode a SS before. Rode a 750 maxim.
Originally posted by XtremeNY911

Hows everyone doing. Just got my bike a week ago 03 zx6r blue. Im new to the bike world and just learning to ride, doing good took the course so im ok, just need road time. Anyway been reading alot on the 600's and the Ninja seems to have bad reviews. So im asking should i be worried that my bike isnt good enough? Do you have any problems with your bike, if so what? As of now i dont, but then agian i really dont know yet, im still new, trying to learn about bikes as much as i can. So tell me how you like it and what you dont like if there is anything, thanks guys.

#13 ·
Well before buying my blue 03 zx6r, I scoured the net for reviews and comparisons, and time and again the zx6r edged out all other 600 class bikes. In fact, the worst reviews I found only gave the zx6r minus points in maybe 1 out of 4 categories, compared to other 600 class bikes. I am not sure where all these bad reviews are but I'd be curious to read them, could you provide some links? This is my first bike and so far I am loving it.

REy

#14 ·
I haven't read a bad review on the '03 6R yet, and trust me, nobody's read more reviews than me on it... I must own 30 magazines with shootouts or tests of the '03. Wow, I think I might even have "issues" now that I think of it...

Anyway, it's a dedicated supersport, designed primarily with the track in mind. Which sorta begs the question why this bike as a beginner bike, but hey, to each their own... I won't go down that old "beginner bike" road again. Just be careful, imo it's too much bike and too dedicated for anyone without (1) the skills to ride it or at least (2) respect for how much trouble this bike can get you into.

Good luck.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

#15 ·
Ok so after a few days riding the bike I LOVE IT. In every way I love it and everytime I ride i dont want to stop. Im still breaking it in but I had a friend take it to open her up, I was curious to see how it sound and what he thought about it as an experienced rider. He loved it to, the only thing he said was that it was very hard to see when the shift light goes on. Anyone else have that prob, if it even is one. I for one am not worried about seeing a shift light. I miss her allready, its raining here in NY seems to be never ending here :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.