Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where does one start to eventually get to the AMA? What is the chain of events? What licenses do you need to get, how do you get them, etc? Basically, what is the chain of events, starting from the bottom, to work your way up to the AMA?

Can someone just explain this to me in baby steps?

Also, Are MotoGP riders then selected from the AMA? how does that work?

What are the different classes? Can someone jump from racing WSMC to AMA? how does all that work? How much money will it cost? Is this even possible for someone who works M-F to do?

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
How do you make RR a career?

Go faster than everyone else.

--David

·
Registered
105 Posts
have at least $20k a year disposable income. Start WERA and win ALOT. By the time you are ready for AMA you will know what needs to be done. You will have to do a full schedule of amature club racing and its about $1000 a weekend.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The best thing to do is start racing at the club level (WERA/ CCS/ CMRA). If you are fast enough to win races there you can make enough money and get enough support to get to the next level. I'm not sure how the DMG/AMA will be on how to get a license. But, for the current AMA standards you have to earn enough points and get an endorsement from an official to get your pro license.

There are a few guys in the country now that are making a full living racing contingency races in WERA, CCS, ASRA,etc. We call them bounty hunters. If you're fast enough you can do it.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Where does one start to eventually get to the AMA? What is the chain of events? What licenses do you need to get, how do you get them, etc? Basically, what is the chain of events, starting from the bottom, to work your way up to the AMA?

Can someone just explain this to me in baby steps?

What are the different classes? Can someone jump from racing WSMC to AMA? how does all that work? How much money will it cost? Is this even possible for someone who works M-F to do?
Ok this may not be %100 but this is how I understand it.
Anyone can apply for AMA they have something like A,B,C classes if you look in their books but those aren't the TV guys. AMA Pro is the only events you see on TV which is seperate. To make it into a pro races you pretty much need a sponsor(someone already in AMA Pro, can be a racer, pit cheifs, etc...) who says you are good enough to try and qualify. Then based on how many people they have to try and qualify you may or may not get a shot. If you do then you must be like one of the top 35 or 40 guys to be able to run the race. That is without any fess which I have no clue how much they charge for anything.

The reason fast people race CCS and WERA is because their are alot more slower guys and it is easier for them to place high and win money. Also alot more local races with CCS and WERA. AMA pro does alot of traveling which is too expensive for privateers to pay and place in the middle of the pack. I race against 3 or 4 guys that run AMA pro and they are the top guys in CCS midwest but run in the middle of the pack in AMA pro events.

Ok. Now realisticly you can become a CCS or WERA racer easily by taking and passing a class. You give them the sheet from passing the class when applying for your license and then they start you out in the lowest class usually amature and you work your way up.

Can you make any money in Wera if you win enough?? I mean after sponsers and winnings does anyone make money or at least break even??
The top guys do. Manufacturer payouts is where they make their most money in a weekend.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
My goal ride now is to start racing wera for the 2010 season. I did my first club race with TPM last sunday. I'm gonna try to do a few more of those and a bunch more track days over this season next and then throw my hat into the wera ring. By then I should be able to afford it and have the time to do it.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
How do you make RR a career?

Go faster than everyone else.

--David
yup, pretty much.
Even then, it's cut-throat. Well, may be here, more than the US, but still. And get names behind you too. If you can get some good sponsorship going, then it means people are prepared to put their name behind you, which gets you more money and noticed too. But that means you have to prove yourself, which doesn't come quickly or easily. Racing is heaps and bag loads of fun and experience, but it can be an all or nothing thing too. Give it everything you've got and be prepared to sacrifice a hell of a lot, or do it for shits n giggles if you can't.

I know plenty of racers here in NZ. I have raced, but I know that I won't be the best, so I do it for shits n giggles, and even that costs me enough.
A good close mate of mine has been racing for the last 4 years. He's built himself up to two brand new 07 ZX6Rs fully tricked out. He had to get rid of one when a sponsor of his backed out. He got his bank loan topped up the other month (just for racing, nothing else) and is currently somewhere near NZ$130,000 which is just stupid. He's 23 and has a race bike and a bunch of trophies to show for it. He gives it everything, including putting in 60+hrs a week. He's still at home, and has an awesome understanding gf with it. He's determined to be the best, and he's insanely quick. He's hoping to start going international in the next few years, which means unless someone wants to back him, his current loan is just a drip.

I'm not saying you have to go to the same lengths, but you have to throw everything you have, and then some, if you want to make a dent.

anyone who does want to sponsor a future legend, PM me! I put my name behind him (hell, he scrubbs my tyres in! I buy his ex-race Conti's!), always have and always will..

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
shit I'm 23 and I just did my first race last week. :( I hope I'm not gonna be too old by the time i get really fast. I wouldn't mind doing it just for fun though. I do have another career to fall back on....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Basically live on Ramen noodles in a tent at the local race track. Take every penny you make at whatever jobs you are doing when you aren't racing and throw it into your bike. Get your name out, talk to people, find out who the "in" guys at the tracks are.

Eat, sleep, live, breathe, motorcycle.

And yeah, be faster than everyone else.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
one thing that might help - don't be afraid to crash. If you are, then you're not going fast enough, and you'll loose. Doesn't mean you will crash, just means you're prepared to put it on the line. Win or bin.

we've lost count how many times he's binned it. Altho only hospitalized 5 times tho, 2 serious.

But, he did win F3 (400cc and 650 V-Twins) where he started, moved to F2 (production 600cc) which he then kicked arse and still is. He then tried F1 (1000cc) which he came 2nd for the season. On his ZX6, which he swapped to half way thru the season (from a K5 GSXR 600)

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Not afraid to crash.... CHECK, haha
I crashed 3 weeks ago and had to go to the hospital with a severe concussion and I was back out there racing last weekend on the same track, although I can say that until i get a second bike (next year hopefully) I will always be a little hesitant to push it that little bit more I need to. Right now my bike is my transportation and pretty much the only thing i have, haha.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ok this may not be %100 but this is how I understand it.
Anyone can apply for AMA they have something like A,B,C classes if you look in their books but those aren't the TV guys. AMA Pro is the only events you see on TV which is seperate. To make it into a pro races you pretty much need a sponsor(someone already in AMA Pro, can be a racer, pit cheifs, etc...) who says you are good enough to try and qualify. Then based on how many people they have to try and qualify you may or may not get a shot. If you do then you must be like one of the top 35 or 40 guys to be able to run the race. That is without any fess which I have no clue how much they charge for anything.

The reason fast people race CCS and WERA is because their are alot more slower guys and it is easier for them to place high and win money. Also alot more local races with CCS and WERA. AMA pro does alot of traveling which is too expensive for privateers to pay and place in the middle of the pack. I race against 3 or 4 guys that run AMA pro and they are the top guys in CCS midwest but run in the middle of the pack in AMA pro events.

Ok. Now realisticly you can become a CCS or WERA racer easily by taking and passing a class. You give them the sheet from passing the class when applying for your license and then they start you out in the lowest class usually amature and you work your way up.

The top guys do. Manufacturer payouts is where they make their most money in a weekend.
Kind of but not really. Not just anyone can apply for an AMA license and get it. You have to at least be an expert level racer in an AMA recognized organization, earn enough points based on AMA Pro racing's criteria and have a race official vouge for you. If you get all that then you fill out a long application that requires your birth certificate and a notorization plus a fee. Then you can try to qualify.

Fast guys race WERA and other organizations to make money. You don't make money (not good money) in AMA unless you're being paid by a team to ride. Most of the top AMA Pro racers came from WERA, CCS and other orgs.If you are fast enough to be on an AMA grid it's worth the experience. You'll learn alot. Just don't be one of those guys that can just barely make the grid and hold up the guys who are there to win when they lap you.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Not afraid to crash.... CHECK, haha
was back out there racing last weekend on the same track.
racing with TPM is very different than racing with a "race" club. With TPM you are racing mostly other track day guys. Racing with WERA etc you are racing guys who are mostly all out there to win.. no matter what they have to do to get up front... trust me , i know..... i did 3 years of track days before i Raced and I was surprised at how/where passes were put on me.. not used to being out there with slower riders either... think about it.. anyone , even guys who have NEVER been to the track can race.... Amateur is rather scary.. the 600 class isn't called the "meat grinder class" for no reason...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Gp is pretty much an invite only club... generally only 18 racers at any given event (varies depending on injuries and wildcard)

They are either groomed through the GP levels (125/250/MotoGp) or have been in another race series (AMA/WSBK/BSB/etc) and have impressed a team owner and are given a shot to ride one of the GP bikes.

Well, that pretty much my understanding of how you get into GP - and of course, be very, very fast too

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
I once heard to make a million dollars in racing you have to start out with 2 million

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Kind of but not really. Not just anyone can apply for an AMA license and get it. You have to at least be an expert level racer in an AMA recognized organization, earn enough points based on AMA Pro racing's criteria and have a race official vouge for you. If you get all that then you fill out a long application that requires your birth certificate and a notorization plus a fee. Then you can try to qualify.
You mean not just anyone can apply for an AMA license or AMA pro? http://www.amadirectlink.com/amrace/torace.asp here is the link for people to race the nonpro level of AMA and seems like anyone can. Nonpro has different levels like A,B,C in the rule books. I have looked into it before. What you are explaining sounds like AMA pro license.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You mean not just anyone can apply for an AMA license or AMA pro? http://www.amadirectlink.com/amrace/torace.asp here is the link for people to race the nonpro level of AMA and seems like anyone can. Nonpro has different levels like A,B,C in the rule books. I have looked into it before. What you are explaining sounds like AMA pro license.
For mx, flat track and other off road events the AMA has amateur organizations. For road racing they don't have the same kind of thing. WERA is AMA sanctioned, but you don't have to have aan AMA competition license, just a WERA license to race. The AMA does have one amateur road race a year at Mid Ohio. The last few years you just needed to be a WERA member. I think this year it was different.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
racing with TPM is very different than racing with a "race" club. With TPM you are racing mostly other track day guys. Racing with WERA etc you are racing guys who are mostly all out there to win.. no matter what they have to do to get up front... trust me , i know..... i did 3 years of track days before i Raced and I was surprised at how/where passes were put on me.. not used to being out there with slower riders either... think about it.. anyone , even guys who have NEVER been to the track can race.... Amateur is rather scary.. the 600 class isn't called the "meat grinder class" for no reason...
Thats why I'm trying to get a good amount of experience under my belt before i get out there. I figure doing the races with tpm should be a way to get some decent experience before jumping into wera. I don't wanna be one of those guys out there wrecking people and slowing everybody up. And I gotta get comfortable being passed too.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
For mx, flat track and other off road events the AMA has amateur organizations. For road racing they don't have the same kind of thing. WERA is AMA sanctioned, but you don't have to have aan AMA competition license, just a WERA license to race. The AMA does have one amateur road race a year at Mid Ohio. The last few years you just needed to be a WERA member. I think this year it was different.
That is why it is so hard to find enough on nonpro events.

+rep for you

1 - 20 of 34 Posts