Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally I like a clear windscreen and do not want to shell out the $$ to buy a new one. Mine has some hazing and scratches on it from use, and it's just not that attractive looking at all.

Have you guys ever polished the plastic windscreen? They say you can use fine sandpaper, but I was kind of looking for a website on what grit to use because I don't want to make it any worse.

Can anyone help me out with any info? has anyone done this personally?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know there is actually a product that is specifically designed to clean plastic/smooth scratches. Probably find it at autozone or something like that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
try the kawi cleaner polish,i dont know it is something like that they gave me a can for free when i bought my bike,cheap fucks but now i am using this one called plexus,it works damn good it cleans and polishs plastics. i got the dbl bubble puig so i clean that with windex.[}:)]

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well actually im looking more for a way to take scratches out of the plastic. I don't think any one wax or polish will do it, more like some really fine sandpaper. I have heard of guys doing something like that but im not sure the steps on how to do it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I used Plast-X by Meguires. (bought it at advanced auto). It works pretty well to get fine scratches out. I have not tried it with a buffer yet, someone on here said that a buffer and plastx will take out deeper scratches if you are careful.

·
Registered
703 Posts
.......plast-x is really good stuff. used it to polish scratches off of hockey face-shields. the clarity and clearness is incredible.

·
Registered
579 Posts
First off 600 grit sandpaper the whole screen. Then vapor polish the windscreen. You could do it to your headlight too. Make sure to sand the whole thing smooth first. I'll post some instructions on how to do this kinda of thing and the stuff you'll need to do it with later.[8D]

·
Registered
579 Posts
Alright I'm back. Sorry no pics, I'll try to get some tommorrow at work. Read this whole thing before you attempt doing this.

DISCLAIMER: If you fuck your bike up, go blind, burn your house down, or crap your pants while doing this, do not blame me. This is what I do, I'm a plastic and metal machinist/fabricator.

Materials needed: 1 sheet of 600 grit or finer sandpaper, methalyne chloride, electric burner, small empty metal container with a screw on lid, small flexible hose about a foot long, alcohol based plastic cleaner

Anytime you are sand something down, put the sandpaper in a bowl of water every now and then. This is called wet sanding for the dumb folks that don't know. Anytime I write down sanding down or sanded down, referring to the wetsanding method. With out further ado.

Step 1- Take the lid of the metal can and drill a small hole through the middle of the lid. Small enough to make a good, snug fit for the small flexible hose. Push the hose through the hole so that you have about 10 inches of hosing on the topside of the lid.

Step 2- Sand your whole wind screen down with the sandpaper. Make your sure you sand that thing down good and smooth. Clean the wind screen with the cleaner with some shop towels or an old cotton t-shirt. Make sure there is no dirt or finger prints on the side of the screen that you are going to polish.

Step 3- Fill the metal container with about 6-8 ounces of methelyne chloride and put the lid with the hose in it on the container. DO NOT SNIFF THE METHELYNE CHLORIDE! Put the container on top of the burner and wait for it to heat up. Keep the burner at about medium heat. When you see vapor coming out of the hosing the vapor polishing is ready to begin.

Step 4- Hold the hose in a manner to which you can best manuever it in the direction of the windscreen. NOTE: the container is still on the heated burner that is still on medium. With the other hand, if you have surgical rubber gloves this is a good time to have them, Take hold of the windscreen with your hand on the opposing side of which you are going to polish. Basically hold the screen on the side that isn't sanded down. Now use the hose and aim the vapor on the surface of the sanded down windscreen. When you finished getting every part of the sanded area the screen should be crystal clear and scratch free. If some areas come out looking like fog then you didn't sand it down enough. If this happens, start over again and make sure you sand the screen down good.

Step 5- When you have finished with vapor polishing, Put the screen somewhere that isn't too dusty. Wait for like 10 minutes to let the vapor dry. Viola the screen should be as good as new.

This stuff works for any clear plastics even doing headlights. Oh SHIT don't forget to turn the burner off.

[:p]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.